HDCD: Is it worth it?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDCD: Is it worth it??

stevos2005
05-17-2004, 05:19 AM
I'll most likely buy the Denon DVD-2200 DVD Player, specifically because it plays both DVD Audio and SACD formats, has an excellent video chip, and high quality 24-bit Burr Brown DACs, but it doesn't decode HDCD's. There are a lot more HDCD's than there are DVD Audio and SACD recordings. I was wondering if anyone's heard an HDCD, and if there's any difference. There are some cheap Toshiba's that do HDCD. Would the Denon sound better on regular CD's, with it's Burr Brown DAC's, than the Toshiba's with HDCD decoding? I don't know. I don't want to spend $2000, minus haggling, for the DVD-5900 just to add HDCD. If the DVD-2900 had it, and HDCD made a big difference, then I would consider that.

Thanks!

mtrycraft
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I'll most likely buy the Denon DVD-2200 DVD Player, specifically because it plays both DVD Audio and SACD formats, has an excellent video chip, and high quality 24-bit Burr Brown DACs, but it doesn't decode HDCD's. There are a lot more HDCD's than there are DVD Audio and SACD recordings. I was wondering if anyone's heard an HDCD, and if there's any difference. There are some cheap Toshiba's that do HDCD. Would the Denon sound better on regular CD's, with it's Burr Brown DAC's, than the Toshiba's with HDCD decoding? I don't know. I don't want to spend $2000, minus haggling, for the DVD-5900 just to add HDCD. If the DVD-2900 had it, and HDCD made a big difference, then I would consider that.

Thanks!

Naw, it was an interesting marketing experiment that is and will not go anywhere. Forget it.

Colin^
05-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I have had two cd players that came with hdcd included and I never realised at the time, but bought because it sounded good with the equiptment I had at the time. I have about 12 or more HDCD's and some with a redbook copy as well. All I can say is the quality of the recordings seem better in my ears, is it due to HDCD? I am unsure, it may just be higher recording standards. I would count HDCD replay ability as a bonus.

Heck, a piece of trivia, Miscosoft MediaPlayer 9 brings up an icon when you play an HDCD like on my Nad C541i. Microsoft actually own HDCD now, they bought it to add to their Media Player.

Invader3k
05-22-2004, 05:25 AM
I have the same NAD 541i that you do. I didn't buy it for HDCD, but because it is a great player, and I got it new at a nice price. Anyway, the question is, where does one actually find HDCDs to purchase? I have searched the 'net and have come up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated. It could be cool to get at least one just to try.

okiemax
05-22-2004, 06:07 AM
I have the same NAD 541i that you do. I didn't buy it for HDCD, but because it is a great player, and I got it new at a nice price. Anyway, the question is, where does one actually find HDCDs to purchase? I have searched the 'net and have come up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated. It could be cool to get at least one just to try.

Here is link to what is available on HDCD:

http://www.hdcd.com/default.asp

I have HDCD on my Rotel CD player. I don't know if HDCD is better, since I don't have CD's of the same performance with it and without it to compare. However, it's moot for me since most HDCD discs (unlike SACD) are just regular issue discs at regular price(i.e., you get HDCD free).

I usually buy CD's from AllDirect.com through the Yahoo shopping site. A recent purchase of an HDCD disc was John Mellencamp's "The Best That I Could Do," which was $8.79. If you buy this way, ordering several CD's at a time is better than ordering just one because of the savings on shipping costs.

manek
05-23-2004, 11:52 PM
see guys...HDCD will sound good if they are made from good masters.....badly recorded masters will sound bad with hdcd as well so dont be hung up on hdcd. XRCD from jvc sounds much better and it is a standard Cd format. So do chesky.

BTW anything owned by microsoft can't be that good !!!!

manek.

DcnBlu
05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Like any other gimic, HDCD only adds unncecssary cost to your equipment. Stick to the basics and spend your hard earned money on high quality components. HDCD and SACD will fade to some elusive corner of the market soon enough.

MS bought HDCD, now thats funny, and they said this was to be the audiophiles desired format. :p