Connecting a Subwoofer to an older Prologic receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a Subwoofer to an older Prologic receiver

Rono75
05-16-2004, 06:38 PM
I want to change my current system to a HD projection screen tv. I also want to change my audio components from floor speakers (along with surround center and rear) to a sattelite w/subwoofer. I currently have a Sony STR-711 prologic receiver. It does not have any connection labled "subwoofer". Is there a way to connect one or do I have to get a more modern receiver?

N. Abstentia
05-16-2004, 07:40 PM
If you're going with an HDTV, then why not upgrade to a Dolby Digital system as well?? Would seem a waste to have a nice new HDTV with 15 year old audio technology.

markw
05-17-2004, 02:28 AM
If you're going with an HDTV, then why not upgrade to a Dolby Digital system as well?? Would seem a waste to have a nice new HDTV with 15 year old audio technology.

...particularly in light of all the added features (DD/DTTS,DPLII), and the resultant price dropping since their inception. For no more than $300 - $400 you should be able to do quite well.

In any case, you should be able to hook up a powered subwoofer with speaker level inputs to your existing main R/L speaker outputs. In your current situation, you would be well advised to avoid any subwoofers without speaker level inputs.