Distorted Sound.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Distorted Sound..

joel2762
05-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Okay, first of all, i'll tell everyone what i'm trying to do...I am using a realistic tape deck with R & L mic inputs and each have their own independant volume control. I want to hook a CD Player into the R jack, and a mic into the L jack. Then I can adjust them and level out the mic so people can sing along with music. Now, To hook the cd player up, i'm using a RCA to 3.5 mm Jack which connects to the tape player from the CD Player's aux out...I hooked it up, but it seems, the cd players output overpowers the sensitive mic jack and the sound I get is all fuzzy. I tried connecting the CD player to the tape deck using the Player's headphone jack but it was still fuzzy. This happens because unfortunatly this is an very old player and the Headphone output does not have a volume control, nor does the cd player have a built in volume control...Does anyone have an idea of a device or part that would provide a cheap soultion to my problem?? All help appreciated! Thanks alot!....

poneal
05-16-2004, 01:27 PM
You need a microphone mixer. These range in price from cheap to expensive. You can then output a stereo signal to the mic mixer and hook up two or more microphones. You usually hook up your DVD player or CD in your case to the mixer. You then run the stereo out of the mixer to your receivers CD input. Heres a link from shure which may be a bit much for you.

http://www.shure.com/mixers/models/scm268.asp?V=MIXSCM

As far as what your trying to do the impedance levels don't match. The line level ouput is way higher than the mic input and you may fry it if you keep trying. Those mic inputs on the tape deck are connected to a mic preamp that can amplify your mic signal up to a usable level.

joel2762
05-16-2004, 03:48 PM
but this is only for a one-time setup so I don't want to purchase something like this..