Progressive Scan DVD player in the $179-500.00 range [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Scan DVD player in the $179-500.00 range

Angry Neighbors
11-28-2003, 01:44 PM
I just started doing research on this subject because now it's time for me to get the last piece of the new updated system! I got a HDTV system with every thing but the progressive DVD player. On my T.V. it has a DVI plug in that is already being used for a Satellite HDTV receiver, My choices are right now are the Pioneer 563a player at 179.00 and the Mitsubishi 8040 with the faroudja DCDi for 225.00. I'm a 90% DVD guy right now but I have heard such great things about DVD-audio & SACD. I could probaly go to the four or five hundred range if something would make a huge difference in picture and sound quality. Any suggestions?

psonic
11-28-2003, 08:26 PM
You cant go wrong with any of Denon's players, they all use the faroudja DCDi and excellent Burr Brown audio DACs 192k/24. You will get so much more out of your movies with a player with capable audio like Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Marantz. Trust me I have tried both and the players you mention will not provide the high resolution sound, they may say 192/24, but its a cheap lifeless chip. I use the Denon DVD-900, which can be had on ebay or online from $120 - 220 depending on new or used/ refurbished. It has outstanding DVD, and CD sound (this is where most DVD players really lack). If you want DVD audio or SACD you may want to look at the Pioneer Elite DV-45A, it has the High Res DACS & DCDi. These are said to sound good, this model was mentioned to me by a local HIFI shop, and it is definately future proof.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=631683/ut=403fdeb4e518207b

also of interest:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=75/vendors%255B%255D=DNN/popup1_attr_id%255B%255D=1270/popup2_attr_id%255B%255D=112/popup5_attr_id%255B%255D=372/popup6_attr_id%255B%255D=5/popup7_attr_id%255B%255D=1209/popup8_attr_id%255B%255D=1340/sortby=priceA/ut=403fdeb4e518207b

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4

Angry Neighbors
11-29-2003, 02:34 AM
I know I said 179.00 to 500.00 but thanks to PSONICS advise I my have changed my mind and have opened the wallet a little more and might go to the pioneer elite 45a or even more the denon dvd 2900. Before I spend 500 or so on the Pioneer or 820.00 on the denon is there any other models I should consider? Because right now after reading reviews I'm about to drain $800.00 out of my $3000.00 savings that I was going to pay of my $3000.00 Mitsubishi ws-55613 T.V. that I bought at good guys on a one year no interest loan" got t.v in october" , let alone blow my wife mind when she thinks a $ 100.00 p.s. player will do! So if I get divorced, I blame Audio Review!

gorilla196635
11-30-2003, 02:11 PM
I just convinced the wife to buy me the new Pioneer DV563a for $179. I read great reviews for it on this site and in Sound & Vision mag and Home Theater mag. Does the job well with SACD and DAV Audio. I have not tried it yet becuse it is a present and I have to wait oh well. Good luck....

GaToy
11-30-2003, 03:39 PM
I don't think there is a DVD player out there with as much bang for the buck as the DV-563A by pioneer. Excelent video qaulity , SACD, and DVD Audio. This is an awsome player. But thats just my 2-cents. Also I don't know how much you are into changers but the DVP-CX985V by sony is also an excellent choice. Its a 400 disk changer. Its nice not handling your DVD's all the time.Plus it's a SACD player. It's $399. I plan on using both.

~C.C.~

gorilla196635
11-30-2003, 03:47 PM
I don't think there is a DVD player out there with as much bang for the buck as the DV-563A by pioneer. Excelent video qaulity , SACD, and DVD Audio. This is an awsome player. But thats just my 2-cents. Also I don't know how much you are into changers but the by sony is also an excellent choice. I plan on using both.

~C.C.~
I have a Pioneer laser disc player that is a 5 disc changer. I also have a Yamaha 5 disc player that I dont use anymore because it skips, not sure why because it is pretty new. Not a fan of Sony (my 2 cents on that) many people like Sony, I am just not a believer in them. Te 563a is a great deal I can't wait to try it especially since I have a Mits 65" HDTV, it should do it well. Currently running a cheap DVD player with components and it is okay. I just hate watching anything but HD lately because after watching that nothing other than DVD comes close to a good picture.
Lets hope te 563 is as good as everyone says it is...

GaToy
11-30-2003, 04:10 PM
I also have a Yamaha 5 disc player that I dont use anymore because it skips, not sure why because it is pretty new. Not a fan of Sony (my 2 cents on that) many people like Sony, I am just not a believer in them.

I just sold my 200 Disk Sony. It was hard to let it go. I had never had a problem out of it in the four years I owned it. But it wasn't progressive and that makes a big difference with a big screen. I too just purchased a Mitsubishi (WS-55511) 55". I love it. My 200 disk looked wounderful on my 27" but looked like crap on my 55". I chose to run all Sony and have never had any problems. I just ordered a 563A through the base exchange. But they are sending me an updated version of the same thing. 677A I think. It's the same player though. This will be the first non-Sony product in my setup. I just hop this new one comes in black. I hate all the silver products they're coming out with.

~C.C.~

gorilla196635
11-30-2003, 05:01 PM
I just ordered a 563A through the base exchange. But they are sending me an updated version of the same thing. 677A I think. It's the same player though. This will be the first non-Sony product in my setup. I just hop this new one comes in black. I hate all the silver products they're coming out with.

~C.C.~
What is the base exchange? I never heard of another model even on he Pioneer website. I agree the silver stuff is too much. That is the way ot goes though this decade is silver last one was black and the one before was silver. I think manufacturers do it on purpose so you have to upgrade. Even TV's were coming in that charcoal grey for a while now it is silver and black. Some even went to gold, which I liked but that was TEAC and stuff like that.

recoveryone
11-30-2003, 07:44 PM
I pick one up a few weeks ago and All I can say is SWEET!. Hooked up to my Mits WS55805 HD-Ready TV It shines using the 480P (must set unit to use it in menu or front panel button) Haven't pick up a SCADor DVD-A disk yet, but looking forward to listening to one now with this unit.

psonic
11-30-2003, 08:20 PM
yea but this inexpensive Pioneer is not audiophile quality gear with the good DACs as I mentioned earlier, now you may get away with using the DACs in your receiver by using the digital out for CD Playback, depending your equiptment these are probably better than what the cheaper Pioneer has; but I recommend better players for those using quality receivers or seperates.

I recently tried a cheap Philips SACD and the disk sounded better in my Denon CD (it was a hybrid SACD)!!!! It played with more depth and body in the soundstage on my quality Denon player, this shows me that there must be cheap SACD DACs out there and they are not giving you the quality you should expect from SACD... oh and by the way, a normal CD in the cheap Philips sounded like dull thin lifeless garbage... a quality CD player matters!!!!! go with the Denon or a better SACD player!

Angry Neighbors
11-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Just pulled off deal of the century! went into good guys and told them another store had the 2200 for $525.00 and they said they would match it, but the greedy salesman insisted I buy the extended warranty! I said no because I never do and he said he would take $50.00 off the receiver to make it $475.00 and give me the 3 year warranty for $99.00. So I said go ahead, but on monday I plan to go back and cancel the warranty. I know alot of you think Denon might not be as good as the use to be,But I think I'll ride Denon till she bucks me off. One thing I did notice is the relaced the Faroudja chip with the pure progressive silicon image chip, don't know if that's a good thing? Maybe thats the thing Woodmans been talking about. Thanks for all your help.

psonic
11-30-2003, 10:02 PM
From what i can see the Pure progressive silicon chipset is better, its whats in the $1k and players per the Denon site.

Nice choice, that player looks awesome and the price seems way below list! Their 2900 is hailed as one of the best players / bargains in HIFI and Im sure the 2200 sounds much like it!

Enjoy!

GaToy
12-01-2003, 01:37 PM
The Base exchange is a place on military installations that servicemen can buy things at prices competetive with the area. The DVD player I originally ordered was the DV-655A. But the one they sent me came straight from pioneer in Japan. It is the DV-667A-k. It just came in today. And thank god it's black. I can't figure out the difference between the DV-563A, DV-655A, or the DV-667A-k. Looking at the specs they are all the same. Even the same price. Looking at them they are also the same. Not that I care as long as it works.

~C.C.~

contractK
12-04-2003, 02:19 PM
I little less money could be the Denon dvd2800II for maybe 500 or wait a month or two for the new Marantz DV8400 to some down in price. IMO the Marantz is probably the best DVD (also comes with a DVI out for you TV) for under a 1000.

Woochifer
12-04-2003, 02:24 PM
I little less money could be the Denon dvd2800II for maybe 500 or wait a month or two for the new Marantz DV8400 to some down in price.

I just saw the DVD-2800II at Magnolia Hi-Fi closing out for under $300. Other stores that still have the 2800II in stock should be able to match that. If you don't want/need DVD-A or SACD capabilities, the 2800II is a solid unit that resolved the major problems that plagued the original DVD-2800. Picture quality should be every bit as solid as the other units mentioned, with a much more rugged and stable chassis than you'll find anywhere near this price. The isolation is probably somewhere between the DVD-2200 (which IMO seems a tad gimpy on the build quality) and the DVD-2900 (which uses the proven and rock solid chassis used in the DVD-3800).

gorilla196635
12-12-2003, 04:38 AM
yea but this inexpensive Pioneer is not audiophile quality gear with the good DACs as I mentioned earlier, now you may get away with using the DACs in your receiver by using the digital out for CD Playback, depending your equiptment these are probably better than what the cheaper Pioneer has; but I recommend better players for those using quality receivers or seperates.

I contacted Pioneer themselves and asked about SACD and whether it is using DSD or PCM while playing SACD's and thir flat out answer was
DSD.

Too many people think this machine sounds very good to not give it a try.

GaToy
12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Is this unit audiophile level? "NO". This unit was put out to be an affordable DVD player that also offers DVD-A and SACD. I mean come on, it a $170. What do you expect? It has a picture as good as players eight times its price. This is to give those a chance to affordably try SACD and DVD-A who otherwise wouldn't have taken the leap. It's kinda like comparing a Mustang to a Lamborghini. It may be a great Mustang that is reliable and quick. But it will never outdo the Lambo. But that doesn't take away from the Mustang or make it lesser than it is. They aren't in the same class. The same goes for electronics gear. Of course you aren't going to get the performance of a $2000 unit for $170. But what you do get is something for $170 that you can walk away with and feel that you got your moneys worth.

~C.C.~

46minaudio
12-12-2003, 03:35 PM
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=5

Look here you will find players under 300$ that do better than $1000 plus units..I picked up a CP 72 for 200$ new..5 disc PS plus DVDa..