How 'bout a "Friday - song-o-the-day" thread? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a "Friday - song-o-the-day" thread?

Ex Lion Tamer
05-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Place is kinda dead today so I'll see if we can get one of these Friday threads going.

At work I usually put the thousand or so songs that are on my hard drive on random play. The playlist is made up of selected songs from albums that have been in and out of rotation for the past couple of years. Heard a few good one's today..."Many Splendored Thing" - Papa M, "Moscow Nights - The Feelies, "Broken Household Appliance" - Grandaddy, "Chemistry Class" - E. Costello, "Dirty Dream #2" - Belle & Sebastien, "Oceanbound" 764-HERO, "What's Your Take on Casavetes?" - Le Tigre

But the one made me hit repeat (I'm on my third time through) is...

"Down In The Tube Station at Midnight" by The Jam. What a great song; poignant well thought out lyrics, that tell a melodramatic story without ever getting maudlin, (well maybe just a little at the end). Great energy, nicely arranged, great bass line and drumming, fantastic, full-throated singing and even some nice back-up "oooohhhh ooohhhhs".

Great song, from a great album, by a great band. Here's a link to allmusic.coms review: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS70311071518101226&sql=X780022

Toady
05-14-2004, 11:07 AM
does it have to be a song that everyone would know or at least be willing to listen to?

if the answer is no, i'll say Converge - Fault and Fracture because it's just mind numbingly good.

if the answer is yes, i'll say Califone - Michigan Girls.

Slosh
05-14-2004, 11:15 AM
"The Sweat Descends" by Les Savy Fav, which will be on a comp that I'm about to work on (so far only have that, "Receptacle For The Respectable" - SFA, and "Rice Is Nice" - McLusky in mind but more will come as I start burning)

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2004, 11:31 AM
My song is Fleeting Trust by The Trews. I sent some samples of this band to a few RRers a few months ago as part of my Canadian Toonies comp. It got the thumbs up from everyone (I think) except Davey. Just wasn't his cup of tea.

This is a hard rocking young band from Eastern Canada. They recorded an indie CD which was picked up by Sony for distribution. Their first single has been getting a lot of airplay in these parts on the Rock and the Alt stations. In fact, I heard a few weeks ago that they had the most played song on Canadian radio that week. But don't hold that against them. Their debut CD (House of Ill Fame) is a strong disk through and through. For a first effort they are unbelievably tight.

A great live band too!

Davey
05-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Got "Hex" by Dot Allison bouncing around inside my head right now. Or maybe it's both "Hex" and "Lover", the last two songs on <i>We Are Science</i>. Nice ending to a mostly very nice CD.

<i>I’ve watched an ocean
Drying under my feet
And I’ve scaled the cliff face
Free from gravity
Since we met we’ve been basking in the summer sun
I think about it every time I turn the radio on
Bah bah bah bah...
People are strange all around me
But you’re not strange
But you’re not strange</i>

tentoze
05-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Place is kinda dead today so I'll see if we can get one of these Friday threads going.

Damn Shame from Jolie Holland's Escondida. Damn shame everybody ain't listening to it.

:D

Davey
05-14-2004, 12:33 PM
My song is Fleeting Trust by The Trews. I sent some samples of this band to a few RRers a few months ago as part of my Canadian Toonies comp. It got the thumbs up from everyone (I think) except Davey.
At least I didn't call it a <i>trainwreck</i>, eh? ;)

Slosh
05-14-2004, 01:34 PM
At least I didn't call it a <i>trainwreck</i>, eh? ;)

I think it's more apt to call it a brainwreck :o

nobody
05-14-2004, 01:55 PM
<a>Duane Eddy: RAM ROD</b>

I've been listening to a lot of oldies lately. Right now, listening to Duane Eddy's debut LP on Jamie records. Everybody knows Rebel Rouser instantly, but a lot of people forget just how good Ram Rod is. So...here's a little reminder. Duane and his "twangy" guitar rock the joint with style throughout this release, but the one that really had me into it was Ram Rod, so that's my Friday song of the day. If you want some top quality 50s instrumentals, you could do a lot worse than this guy. He doesn't get mentioned much because he gets overshadowed by guys like Link Wray and Dick Dale, but he was an influential player in his own right. Maybe it's just 'cause I heard him all the time around the house growing up, but to me Duane Eddy emitomizes that 50s guitar instrumental style.

Davey
05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
i'll say Califone - Michigan Girls.
And I'll say that you're a damn sharp 26 year old ;)

dry white scratches on a sunburnt shin, don't give it a name (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbireviews.htm#Califone_Quicksand/Cradlesnakes)

newtrix1
05-14-2004, 04:22 PM
by Roland Orzabal off "Tomcats Screaming Outside"

dld
05-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Going to see Blondie and the B-52s this weekend, so guess whats floating around in that scary thing called my mind, with all the spiders,. cobwebs, pencil erasers,and broken off Cue-Tip tips?

Heart Of Glass, and Love Shack. Is that obvious enuf?

PPG
05-14-2004, 07:17 PM
"Tonight We Ride" Matthew Sweet

Dusty Chalk
05-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Buckethead, "Too Many Humans" -- I love when the bass kicks in

Toady
05-17-2004, 04:36 AM
And I'll say that you're a damn sharp 26 year old ;)

dry white scratches on a sunburnt shin, don't give it a name (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbireviews.htm#Califone_Quicksand/Cradlesnakes)

how about if i saw them twice last weekend too? :cool: