Velodyne Sub confusion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne Sub confusion

avitar
05-14-2004, 04:37 AM
I am trying to figure out which sub to get. my living room is approx 20 x 22 x 9' 6" with a trayed ceiling. there are openings to the dining room and bedroom hallway as well as a staircase it the rear corner (going down). I recently bought the Magnepan MC1's with the CC3 center and installed Niles HD6 inwalls for the rear. all of this will be connected to a Denon 3805.
I listened to the SPL800 with the Magnepans and it sounded very good - tight and fast which is what I am looking for. The sound room in the store I was in was small (about 10 x 18) and setup with great wood slats and insullation. I think I need a bigger sub. I am confused about which line to get, and which size... I was thinking of getting the 12" , but what is the difference between the DD, the SPL and the HGS?
I am looking to spend between $1000 and $2000.

Geoffcin
05-14-2004, 08:58 AM
I am trying to figure out which sub to get. my living room is approx 20 x 22 x 9' 6" with a trayed ceiling. there are openings to the dining room and bedroom hallway as well as a staircase it the rear corner (going down). I recently bought the Magnepan MC1's with the CC3 center and installed Niles HD6 inwalls for the rear. all of this will be connected to a Denon 3805.
I listened to the SPL800 with the Magnepans and it sounded very good - tight and fast which is what I am looking for. The sound room in the store I was in was small (about 10 x 18) and setup with great wood slats and insullation. I think I need a bigger sub. I am confused about which line to get, and which size... I was thinking of getting the 12" , but what is the difference between the DD, the SPL and the HGS?
I am looking to spend between $1000 and $2000.

You cannot go wrong with getter a larger sub. Your room is aprox the size of mine, and a 15" sub would do well. Velodyne is famous for thier servo controlled sub. These were one of the few subs with low enough distortion to be used with my maggies and not stand out.

An outstanding sub will make for a lot of fun with your HT.

I set off my car alarm the other day while watching Monsters Inc. (It was parked in the garage!)