new HT setup. need a sub to match Magnepans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new HT setup. need a sub to match Magnepans

avitar
05-13-2004, 04:11 PM
I am setting up a new HT system. I have a Denon 3805. I jus bought the Magnepan MG MC1's for fronts and the MG CC3 for the center. I hung a 42" plasma over the fireplace against everyones advise (we have yet to use the fireplace, and I will be buying custom glass doors before we do). I installed Niles HS6's inwalls for the rears.

This system is for our beach house. my main system has N805's / HTM2, from an Anthem AVM20 - Pass X5 but the weak link has been the Sunfire True Jr. Its ok for movies but really too slow for music (and for the music in the movies). I could move the Sunfire to the beach house, and buy the B&W 800 sub for home,,,,
when listening to the maggies in the store they had them playing with a Velodyme SPL8, which sounded great there. my livingroom is 25 x 30 with a 9'6" trayed ceiling.
How is the little velodyne? please give me some other suggestions. i was thinking around $1500 .... the other nice thing about the SPL was it is available in white (which is how I bought the magnepans .. we have a white brick fireplace)

Bryan
05-14-2004, 12:10 PM
At over 7,000 cubic feet your room is huge. What you may consider doing is getting a sub such as the Onix Rocket UFW-10 and using a SVS PB2-Plus (goes for $1,298 including shiping) for bass under 25Hz. Of course, if you have something readily available to power them with dual VMPS Larger Subwoofers would be right up your alley though they are not small subwoofers.

DcnBlu
05-26-2004, 05:52 AM
With such a large room, I would go with a Velodyne Servo 12. I use a Velodyne myself and it sounds wonderful. Although your room is amazingly large, this sub will delight you across the board. Music or Movie, they shine. Depending on your amplifer(s), a dedicated sub out will also allow for more flexibility. You may even enjoy using two SPL-8s on your front main channels.

poneal
05-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Is to do a DIY subwoofer. They are simple and require less than an hour to put together. Here is a link to DIY subwoofer that should have no problem filling your house with bass.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-764

Geoffcin
05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
I am setting up a new HT system. I have a Denon 3805. I jus bought the Magnepan MG MC1's for fronts and the MG CC3 for the center. I hung a 42" plasma over the fireplace against everyones advise (we have yet to use the fireplace, and I will be buying custom glass doors before we do). I installed Niles HS6's inwalls for the rears.

This system is for our beach house. my main system has N805's / HTM2, from an Anthem AVM20 - Pass X5 but the weak link has been the Sunfire True Jr. Its ok for movies but really too slow for music (and for the music in the movies). I could move the Sunfire to the beach house, and buy the B&W 800 sub for home,,,,
when listening to the maggies in the store they had them playing with a Velodyme SPL8, which sounded great there. my livingroom is 25 x 30 with a 9'6" trayed ceiling.
How is the little velodyne? please give me some other suggestions. i was thinking around $1500 .... the other nice thing about the SPL was it is available in white (which is how I bought the magnepans .. we have a white brick fireplace)

You will not regret it. Your room size demands a 15", or perhaps the 18"DD if you like your bass loud!

avitar4321
05-31-2004, 05:14 AM
I eneded up buying a Velodyne SPL 1200II. It seems great. Fills out the entire sound so much. I think I am having some problem with it tho. Sometimes it just starts sort of gurgleing, or rumboling... not with the TV soundtrack at all. I have to shut it off. It has not done this with the dvd player or when listening to a CD. Could it be the regular audio interconnect I am using? I have not had the time to buy a subwoofer cable... but will this week

markw
05-31-2004, 05:29 AM
A fancy cable won't cause this and conversly, it won't cure it unless perhaps it's a loose connection. In which case, a properly functioning cable will cure it. But, be aware that a subwoofer cable is a "regular" audio interconnect with a fancy name and pricetag.

Perhaps its' something in whatever source you are listeniing to getting thru the bass management in the receiver. ...or the woofer itself acting up.

Geoffcin
05-31-2004, 05:33 AM
I eneded up buying a Velodyne SPL 1200II. It seems great. Fills out the entire sound so much. I think I am having some problem with it tho. Sometimes it just starts sort of gurgleing, or rumboling... not with the TV soundtrack at all. I have to shut it off. It has not done this with the dvd player or when listening to a CD. Could it be the regular audio interconnect I am using? I have not had the time to buy a subwoofer cable... but will this week

I'm at a loss to explain the problem with the TV output though. If there is no problem with CD, or DVD performance then I would suspect the're some kind of feedback loop going on with the TV circuit & receiver, and not a problem with the sub.