Anyone have any review of the Yamaha RX-V650? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any review of the Yamaha RX-V650?

ryjam282
05-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I am looking to get this unit and I can't find any reviews on it. Can some people here please give me some pro's and cons on this unit, thanks a lot.

Ryan

Woochifer
05-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Slow down dude! That model's been in stores less than one month. Expect that it will take at least a few more weeks before buyers start posting reviews en masse or press evaluations start coming out. If you want the pros and cons of the unit, why not head out to a store and look the thing over first hand?

kpzbee
05-14-2004, 02:52 AM
I bought an RX-V750 a month ago & absolutly love it. For a hundred bucks more, I would suggest upgrading to the 750 due to the better remote & component video out. That will come into play if you go with, or have, an HDTV. The YPAO is simply awesome! Plenty of DSPs to choose from (to many). I run mine in a 6.1 configuration. I have no complaints as of now. I've got it dialed in & am just enjoying it now.

ryjam282
05-14-2004, 07:01 AM
The 650 has the same amount of component outs as the 750. At least that is what the website says. But, you are enjoying, so that is nice and I was skeptical about the YPAO and am glad it is working nicely.

kpzbee
05-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, that's not I meant. There are 4 basic differences between the 650 & the 750. The 750 has these features that the 650 don't:
1 - A little more power (5 watts - big deal)
2 - A learning remote which comes in handy & will go the distance for you, when the codes change.
3 - Video-up conversion to component level - This is what I was trying to point out earlier for HDTV. The 650 only goes up to s-video.
4 - A phono jack - if you need one. I still like vinyl. :)

I waited to buy the 750 vs the 740 (last years model) just for the YPAO feature. If you don't want it, you can pick up a heck of a deal on a leftover 740. Happy hunting! Let us know what you get.

agtpunx40
05-14-2004, 04:58 PM
hey kpzbee, I've heard conflicting reports about the yapo on the models below 1400. Does it have the full parametric eq feature?

kpzbee
05-18-2004, 07:46 AM
I wish I could say for sure because I've read the same things you probably have. I was told by the sales person where I bought it from that it does. I will say it has to be doing something like that, because when I do a recal, the levels will change to my ears but the adjustable level stays the same - if that makes any sense to you. Another thing I have noticed is that the system will sound sharper or softer to the ear, after a calibration. My wife is really sensitive to high freqencies so she picks it up right away. I've been experimenting with mic placment & what the mic sits on, to get these different settings. If I set the mic on a hard surface, the system is set softer. If it's set on something soft (like a cushion), the system sets up sharp. It's just what I've been noticing. Hope this helps!

ryjam282
05-18-2004, 08:55 AM
I went ahead with the 650. I wish I would have known about the Component up-conversion before hand but I am still very happy with it. The YPAO works absolute wonders also, I have the left surround speaker about an extra 10 feet further from the listening area then the other surround and the YPAO put that speaker setting at +6.5 and the other (right one) at -1.2. It also set the rear surrounds at very low levels cause they are about 3 feet behind the listening area, this thing is absolutely great and I can't imagine another receiver in my home. I am still experimenting with the PLIIx features for my Playstation 2 and my cable as well but as far as everything else goes...Well worth the money I spent....Can't remember who it was but thanks for pointing me to Yamaha when I was considering a Sony.. : (