High-end clock radio for a decent price [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High-end clock radio for a decent price

jeskibuff
05-13-2004, 02:58 AM
A couple years ago, I took Bose up on their offer to try out their high-end clock/table radio/CD player. While it was a nice unit, it was worth no where NEAR the $500 they were charging for it. My curiosity was satisfied and I sent the unit back. It took an extra call to get them to reimburse me for the return shipping charge, but it ended up costing me nothing.

Now Buy.Com has got the Cambridge Soundworks 88CD on sale for $199.99 with free shipping and a $20 mail-in rebate. I read the reviews and ordered one on Sunday. It was delivered yesterday.

Although I don't have the ability to compare the CS unit to the Bose, I think they're basically equivalent sound-wise. Nothing spectacular, but much better than the average clock radio. The CS unit actually feels more substantial in heft. The Bose is a bit more sleek and attractive.

The end price of the CS unit at $180 is still probably overpriced, but there's few options out there for high-end clock radios. I'm satisfied with my purchase and know that people have have asked about such units before on this website.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90133949&sp=1&loc=111

The rebate is good through the end of June.

ocrazor
05-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Cambridge soundworks is usually a much better deal than bose. Although, if you have a computer in your bedroom you can get a shareware alarm clock program that will play a wav/mp3/cd. Good computer speakers sound better than any alarm clock, but you would have to leave your comp on overnight.

vivisimonvi
05-16-2004, 11:47 AM
If you find the right program, you can actually "wake up" your computer from Stand-By mode, without having to leave it on all night. My ATI MMC software that came with my ATI video capture card comes with an audio program than you can schedule to run any sound file (or any Audio CD) at any specified time. Although, your speakers do have to be left on.

There are several programs out there that might be able to do this, I haven't had much experience with any others myself (the ATI MMC software does just about everything for me). There are free ones such as the Banshee Screamer alarm clock, not sure if it can run while your computer is on Stand-By.

RGA
05-16-2004, 06:08 PM
What Hi-Fi Magazine just reviewed several clock radios this issue...Chapters usually carries the magazine.

They gave the Wave Radio 2/5 and also said it was overpriced. After all over-priced should be a Bose trade-mark.

There is no such thing as a high end clock radio - but some were rated a lot better than others - for reasonably cheap prices.

05-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I refuse to believe that.

My clock radio got 2 alarms. Pretty freakin high end to me

jeskibuff
05-17-2004, 02:23 AM
There is no such thing as a high end clock radioIt's all relative. They're not high-end when compared to premium audio equipment, but they are at the high-end of the clock radio spectrum.

Jimmy C
05-17-2004, 02:26 PM
...I bought the Tivoli Model 2 (no clock) and I'm fairly satisfied with it. I'm definitely satisfied considering cost, I was simply expecting a bit more in the sound department after reading all the raves... no biggie. Tivoli now sells a model with a clock (analog, natch) not sure if she is equipped with an alarm. As someone said - w-a-y better than a cheap Sony, for eg.

There was a thread on AA talking about the Proton radios from the '80s selling on eBay (some N.O.S.)... interesting to me because I remember their electronics (1980ish) in high-end stores - rebadged N.A.D.s. These radios (sorry - forgot the model number) are supposed to be pretty good.

I agree about the Bose Wave... too much money for the performance level. Plus, you have to look at the chinzy plastic cabinet. The Bose definitely has better bass and dynamics than my Model 2 but not sure about the rest of the spectrum, never did a side-by-side. What's nice is I have two speakers creating a mini stage.

Hopefully you can demo some of everyone's suggestions (never heard the C.S.W.) but I would imagine a stereo clock Tivoli would ring in at around 200 seashells.

Good luck...

trollgirl
05-24-2004, 06:24 PM
...300, an AM/FM tuner/preamp mated to a biamped powered speaker. A second speaker, like the first, was called the 301. It has input/output for a tape or CDP also. I use mine in the bedroom, with each unit about a foot and a half from the ear. I just love the nearfield listening, and the sound of this combo. It almost makes my main system irrelevant. Proton made a few other models, but the 300/301 is the one to get. I intend to keep mine forever

(yes, it's still) Lazarus Short in western Missouri

Jimmy C
05-25-2004, 02:33 PM
...model numbers. I'm tempted to try one of these out, I'm a sucker for N.O.S. stuff or gear that is mint - I like trying out things that I remember 25 years ago... (guess I'm getting old!) Besides, one can never have too many clock radios, right? Err, well...

In all seriousness, I do a lot of cooking - I could use one in the kitchen.

trollgirl
05-26-2004, 06:07 PM
...the Proton 300/301 is a table radio, not a clock radio. I confused myself because my morning alarms are so close to the radio. I'm told however, that it is the best table radio ever made.

Laz