Definitive Tech Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Tech Speakers?

stevos2005
05-12-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm planning to slowly upgrade my system. Currently, I have a Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver with Polk RTi f/x as main speakers and the old Polk LS f/x as surround speakers with a Polk PSW 650 subwoofer, and no center channel speaker. I also have a very cheap no-name $50 non-progressive scan DVD player that I just use as a transport. Since I'm getting HDTV, I'm probably upgrading my DVD player to a Denon DVD-2200 or something around that level.

I'm planning to upgrade my main speakers, and I have about $800-$900 to spend right now. They must be bookshelf speakers. I use the system 50/50 for Stereo and HT. I'm thinking about the Definitive Tech Power Monitor 500's. What do you think of these speakers? Do you recommend them or something else? Would they be a big improvement over the Polks in both HT and music? This is the first stage in upgrading speakers. Eventually I'll move them to the surround (or back surrounds) and get larger main speakers and a center channel.

Thanks!

topspeed
05-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm planning to upgrade my main speakers, and I have about $800-$900 to spend right now. They must be bookshelf speakers. I use the system 50/50 for Stereo and HT. I'm thinking about the Definitive Tech Power Monitor 500's. What do you think of these speakers? Do you recommend them or something else? Would they be a big improvement over the Polks in both HT and music? This is the first stage in upgrading speakers. Eventually I'll move them to the surround (or back surrounds) and get larger main speakers and a center channel.

Thanks!

DefTech definitely has their fans and the PowerMonitors are intriguing because of their dynamics. Personally, I consider DefTech a better match for HT than two channel music. This is not a bash on them at all as I have a DefTech sub. Their sound is simply not my cup of tea. As long as you like their sound, that's all that really matters isn't it?

Because you're going to be expanding into multi-channel, I'd make sure that whatever you buy has a matching center channel somewhere in the line. This will ensure that you can timbre match your front stage as you build your system. Excellent speakers in your price range that have matching centers are Von Schweikert VR1's, B&W 603s3, JM Lab Cobalt 706, Energy Veritas 2.1, Monitor Audio Gold, Paradigm 20 v3's, Magnepan MMG's, and a mind boggling array of others. You'll just have to go out and listen to see what suits you best.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

N. Abstentia
05-13-2004, 05:31 AM
I was never a big fan of the Def Tech sound, but if you like Polks you'll probably like Def Tech as they are very very similar. The guys who designed DefTech's used to be designers at Polk.

It's all just a matter of taste like was already said, but if I had $900 to spend on a set of fronts I would be looking at something like the Paradigm Studio 40, especially if you plan to listen to any music with them. I would also get a less expensive DVD player and put that saved money towards the speakers. I never understood paying extra just for a 'Denon' sticker.

stevos2005
05-13-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks for your advice. I haven't listened to any of these speakers before. I'm used to the Polks, but I'd like to find something with a clearer, more refined sound that would be able to play all kinds of music (from rock, electronic, acoustic, new age, classical) and be excellent for home theater as well. The built in subs are really attractive for me, but if it's sound isn't as good as others, then that's what matters most. I might love them. I have no idea what a really good speaker sounds like, as I've only had polks!

The pardigm's seem nice. What type of sound do they produce? Unfortunately, unless I want to drive an hour or so, I'm limited to the following brands of speakers:

Monitor Audio, Thiel Audio, Acoustic Energy, PSB, MK, Def Tech, Niles, and Speakercraft.

Also, is it possible to get a deal on any of these speakers, and other electronics? What is the best way to go about that? I've never done it before.

Thanks!

topspeed
05-13-2004, 07:30 AM
I'd ditch the last two, but every other company you listed are very reputable. You might want to do a search on this board for PSB because there was a pretty big problem with them about a month ago that might effect how strongly you'll want to consider them.

Don't worry about travelling to find great speakers. It's worth it...think Big Picture here. When you find great speakers, you'll keep them for years, even decades. Merely adequate speaks will put you on the merry-go-round of upgrade hell for years to come. Do the leg work, especially for speakers as they have the greatest impact on your system's sound.

Finally, you can absolutely deal. Negotiate for everything, right down to the cables and wires. I've been fortunate enough to get at least 30% off on every piece of audio gear I've ever bought (except my wall brackets from Crutchfield). I can't tell you how to negotiate because it's a learned skill, just like anything else. Be strong, be fair, have hard cash, create a win-win, and be ready to walk.

Good luck

nusiclover
05-13-2004, 10:45 PM
30% off huh...every deal? hmmm, surely you work at an audio store? 30% seems like an employee discount more than a savvy deal maker. unless you are that good. hey, maybe you are. but damn, 30%, thats a heck of a good discount. good for you.
and i agree that travelling a legitimate distance to purchase a good piece of audio/video gear is a good idea. after the long treck you might even feel twice as good about owning something killer. of course, travelling two states away may be excessive. or not? remember to research at home first. obivously you have interenet access: id say start there and then travel an hour or two when youve found something you know you want to hear. of course, travelling a couple of hours may just prompt you to buy it just beacause of the travelling time. if you think this might be the case, save the time, and possible headache, and stick with what you have locally. of course, there is the motto "if you havent heard it, you wont miss it". sometimes not sticking to this can get you in trouble. theres one way of getting onto the upgrade highway to hell.
have fun!

Eric Z
05-14-2004, 11:10 AM
nusiclover-

30% off isn't too far off for the average consumer. I bought a pair of Mirage speakers a couple years ago and negotiated a bit and it came to about 25%- and that was from Tweeter! I now shop at a store called Abt Electronics in the Chicago suburbs and I negotiate on everything (audio equipment, applicances, etc.)!! They also have a website (abtelectronics.com) and haggle via e-mail. In addition, you can call a salesperson and haggle over the phone if you are more comfortable with that way. Almost all of these stores make a decent profit from these types of sales, so they usually have a bottom price.

stevos2005-

Regarding Def Tech speakers- I have a the PS80 sub and love it! I do not have any other Def Tech speakers, but have listened to them in the store and they sound great!

Good luck! Remember, do not pay full price!

topspeed
05-14-2004, 11:25 AM
30% off huh...every deal? hmmm, surely you work at an audio store? 30% seems like an employee discount more than a savvy deal maker. unless you are that good. hey, maybe you are. but damn, 30%, thats a heck of a good discount. good for you.

Thanks for the kind words. No, I don't work at an audio store (how would I earn enough for all my toys ;)?) but I do negotiate contracts for a living. When you toss in knowledge of Neuro Linguistic Programming, personality profiling (i.e. internal, external), and a bunch of other psyche mumbo jumbo, it does make life a little more, um, interestesting.

If only I knew this stuff when I was in college. Now THAT could have come in handy on sorority row!

nusiclover
05-14-2004, 04:27 PM
so there is a background somewhere....but im still surprised at the 30%. up to 20% i can understand (i have come close to this myself - thankfully i did use a bit of it back in college :) although hardly enough it now seems - yes if only Emmit would hurry up with the tweaks to that damn Delorian) but im glad to know you are in the negotiating business, because if any ol person could get 30% off id be kicking myself right now. but it is good to know that such deals are possible. hopefully not too many people will read this after they just paid full price plus the delivery fee! lol. i laugh when i hear sales associates saying "the total will come to $1695, and delivery will be an extra $30." then i quickly cry when the aimless dude hands over his credit card.