Question about the threads on this board. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about the threads on this board.

Swish
11-28-2003, 12:06 PM
I don't like the way I'm forced to view the latest reply to a thread as opposed to the old board where you would see the initial post and all the respones, in chronological order, below it. It gets very confusing trying to figure out who responded to the initia post or who responded to someone else's reply. Anyway, my question is this; Is there any way I can change the format that I see to have them appear this way or is that how we must all see them (last post appears first)???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Swish Baby

Swish
11-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Well, this may help. Go to your user control panel and select 'options'. About half way down the page you can change the way threads are displayed. I think you should try selection -linear-oldest first and see how that works for you. After you've opened a thread, the next time you visit it you should see a little down arrown by the post which should take you to the first post recorded since your last viewing. then simply scroll down to read any subsequent posts to the topic. I will add that this little arrow feature doesn't always seem to work right, taking me instead to some posts that I've already viewed.

Of course it won't be the same as the old board but maybe it will help some.

jc

with threads and not the replies within the thread. Know what I mean? Anyway, I just did what you suggested and I'll see what happens. I hope that does it!

Grassy Ass Senior,

Swish

Jim Clark
11-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Anyway, my question is this; Is there any way I can change the format that I see to have them appear this way or is that how we must all see them (last post appears first)???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Swish Baby

Well, this may help. Go to your user control panel and select 'options'. About half way down the page you can change the way threads are displayed. I think you should try selection -linear-oldest first and see how that works for you. After you've opened a thread, the next time you visit it you should see a little down arrown by the post which should take you to the first post recorded since your last viewing. then simply scroll down to read any subsequent posts to the topic. I will add that this little arrow feature doesn't always seem to work right, taking me instead to some posts that I've already viewed.

Of course it won't be the same as the old board but maybe it will help some.

jc

Jim Clark
11-28-2003, 02:34 PM
just did what you suggested and I'll see what happens. I hope that does it!

Grassy Ass Senior,

Swish

Well, I guess we'll see won't we. I have proof that it doesn't always work correctly. For example, FA's bored thread is displayed just fine, as it should be. This thread, however, has both of your posts displayed ahead of my original reply. That isn't how it's supposed to be. It's pretty obvious that the folks here still have some bugs to work out. I see they finally fixed the email notification problem for registration. I'll bet Chris' job would have been more enjoyable if it had worked correctly from day one.

Enjoy your long weekend.

jc

Davey.
11-28-2003, 04:31 PM
I think the problem is that it's just all f<a>ucked up right now, technically speaking I mean :). The posts should show up in chronological order (at least that's the way other vB sites seem to work) but they've been showing up every which way. Who knows why? Not me.

But usually you can tell who's talking to who by the quote. Not everybody chooses to reply that way so you just have to figure it out for yourself in that case, if you care that is. I don't quite know what you mean though when you say you are "forced to view the latest reply". It should be the same as selecting viewall on the old board after it is working properly, at least I hope so. There must be lots of options for the site administrator to set up.

NP: Delta Bravo India 2003 (Pony Apprehension right now)

Swish
11-28-2003, 05:12 PM
I think the problem is that it's just all f<a>ucked up right now, technically speaking I mean :). The posts should show up in chronological order (at least that's the way other vB sites seem to work) but they've been showing up every which way. Who knows why? Not me.

But usually you can tell who's talking to who by the quote. Not everybody chooses to reply that way so you just have to figure it out for yourself in that case, if you care that is. I don't quite know what you mean though when you say you are "forced to view the latest reply". It should be the same as selecting viewall on the old board after it is working properly, at least I hope so. There must be lots of options for the site administrator to set up.

NP: Delta Bravo India 2003 (Pony Apprehension right now)

Yep, I guess you are. Yep, I see what you mean about the order being all screwed up some of the time. I hope they get this POS working properly soon, or I'm gonna.....oh ****, I'm not gonna do anything. I'll just have to live with it, won't I.

They can just bite me.
Swish