bass reflex vs, acoustic suspension and japanese speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bass reflex vs, acoustic suspension and japanese speakers

veganaudio
05-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Hello Sound fans:

I have this memory of my youth (the 80's)of this small acoustic suspension speakers that had the most tight bass response ever....they were japanese -Technics SB-F2 (2 way)- placed on this small tripods.

Maybe the hard wood floor had a lot to do too with it and not too many furniture in that room, it was perfect.....ahhh what a memories.....

Later in the 90's my roommate had this old tower Technics (4 way), bass reflex this time, that sounded awesome with his old silver Kenwood Amplifier and Onkyo CD changer.

Are japanese speakers very good or they just fit my ears?

Any one with comments about this two types of speakers (Bass Reflex vs. Acoustic suspension) and japanese speakers???

Thank You

RGA
05-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Japanese speakers from the likes of Sony Pioneer were atrocious - mostly still are.

Though There are some good Japanese speakers no doubt I can't think of one off hand other than Kondo - but I doubt any of us could afford them.

As for Acoustic Suspension - My AN K is one of the few if only Acoustic Suspension standmount speakers still being made - and I agree with you on the bass. The other advantage of the K is that not only is it tight it is also deeper than what I heard out of the competition - and amazingly easier to driver and more sensitive(something not usually associated with Acoustic Suspension speakers.

Though Acoustic Research made plenty of Acoustic Suspension speakers which had good sensitivity ratings - and even looked almost identical to my K. SO check out the used shops and see what turns up. Audio Note basically bought out a lot of defunct companies or models and used the original designs - tweaked them up and used far better parts. The AN K is based of the original Snell Type K form the 70s and Audio Note turntables are re-invisioned Systemdek II or Voyd tables. It wasn't broke so don't fix it. ---just a bit of tweaking.

Woochifer
05-12-2004, 10:40 AM
The thing about ported bass reflex speakers is that they are more difficult to design correctly, which is why acoustic suspension speakers were the norm for a long time. The advantage of ported speakers is that they are more efficient and will have more even tonal response down to the tuned port frequency. Once you go below the tuned frequency, then the drop off is very steep. With an acoustic suspension design, you need a more powerful amp and the low end will taper off much sooner than with a comparable ported design, however this tapering off will occur much more gradually than with the ported speaker. This means that you'll have deeper bass extension, but lowered output higher in the bass range. Subjectively, some listeners feel that this more gradual tapering off in the bass response sounds more natural, which is why a lot of high end subwoofers still use the acoustic suspension design. So, both approaches have their tradeoffs.

More and more speaker makers have gone to the ported design simply because they've figured out how to make them better than before. Computer models allow for speaker designers to test a much wider range of parameters without having to actually build and test hundreds of different cabinet and port configurations. Acoustic suspension speakers in general are more consistent in how their bass sounds, and the absence of a port means that they are easier to place. However, ported speakers have the advantage of a more linear bass response and higher efficiency. The key to decent sound is getting the match between desired distortion levels, the cabinet volume, and the port opening done correctly. With a ported speaker, more variables need to be accounted for and speaker designers have gone to the design more as they've learned how to balance these variables to achieve a desired type of sound.

I don't think you can generalize about how a speaker will sound based on its design, since I've heard good and bad examples of both types of designs. But, I will say that while Japanese companies are very capable of building high value audio components, they've never been able to consistently produce decent speakers that compete with what U.S., Canadian, and British companies put out. Most of the speakers that Japanese companies make get mixed in with prepackaged audio systems. You don't frequently see them sold on their own.

RGA
05-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Woochifer

It is interesting you note this defficiency in sensitivity but of course perhaps companies left using computer models to improve Acoustic Suspension designs because the AN K is standing proof that you can get highish efficiency - higher than most comparably sized port designs(and bigger) - with a far easier impedence load while maintaining all the other properties associated to Acoustic Suspension - I agree with the "type" of bass is different.

Basically what I am saying is that many never bothered to make Acoustic suspension better but they used computers to improve the ports - why not use computers like Audio Note to make acoustic suspension better? If they're easier to place and have a smoother roll-off and I can attest they are very room friendly - a pain to set-up correctly but even not set-up right they still offer a pleasing result then It's odd. I looked on a site about Acoustic Suspension standmounts from AR and they were all 87db up to 90db. You can buy a lot of ported standmounts today which are also no better than that range and have some ugly min impedence numbers. Good and bad of both I suppose is correct - I usually pay no attention to the design but to the sound - and then after I try and figure out what it was I liked or disliked.

Woochifer
05-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Woochifer

It is interesting you note this defficiency in sensitivity but of course perhaps companies left using computer models to improve Acoustic Suspension designs because the AN K is standing proof that you can get highish efficiency - higher than most comparably sized port designs(and bigger) - with a far easier impedence load while maintaining all the other properties associated to Acoustic Suspension - I agree with the "type" of bass is different.

Basically what I am saying is that many never bothered to make Acoustic suspension better but they used computers to improve the ports - why not use computers like Audio Note to make acoustic suspension better? If they're easier to place and have a smoother roll-off and I can attest they are very room friendly - a pain to set-up correctly but even not set-up right they still offer a pleasing result then It's odd. I looked on a site about Acoustic Suspension standmounts from AR and they were all 87db up to 90db. You can buy a lot of ported standmounts today which are also no better than that range and have some ugly min impedence numbers. Good and bad of both I suppose is correct - I usually pay no attention to the design but to the sound - and then after I try and figure out what it was I liked or disliked.

Well, if I remember right, you noted that the AN was designed for corner placement. This basically means that they rely on that corner reinforcement to prop up the bass. With an acoustic suspension speaker, corner placement is easier because you don't have to worry about port noise. Obviously, if your room can't accommodate the speakers close to the corner, then it will sound a lot different in the more typical front wall placement.

Acoustic suspension speakers are simpler to design than ported speakers, because you don't have to design the speaker cabinet around a tuned frequency. You basically build a box, install the components, seal the driver enclosure, and you're in business. There are things to consider with the interior volume and the Q-alignment you want, but more often than not you won't wind up with something that just doesn't sound right. Basically, there's a lot more room for error, and that's why sealed boxes are usually what DIY hobbyists start with. With a ported speaker, you have to figure out what bass depth you want, and then find a precise match between the required interior volume and the size of the port opening. When done correctly, the ported speaker will have a more linear bass response down to the tuned frequency. If this is not done correctly, then you wind up with distortion.

Those AR speakers may have been efficient, but if you stuck those same drivers and crossover networks into a ported cabinet, then the sensitivity would still be higher.

gonefishin
05-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Woochifer

RGA, where in the heck do you get your information? Of course you can still achieve high(ish) efficiency design with acoustic suspension designs...but that's dependant on the driver being used. Put it in a vented cabinet and the same driver would have an even higher overall efficiency.
The enclosure will eat up power just as a passive crossover will.

I suspect your constant ramblings and misinformation are driving a good number of people away from an otherwise nice sounding speaker (talking about AudioNote Speakers).

skeptic
05-12-2004, 11:55 AM
While it is true that there are good and bad examples of both design principles, they are actually worlds apart. I discovered about 15 years ago that you could apply Newtons second law of motion to loudspeakers, especially woofer/enclosure designs and completely understand them at least mechanically. I thought I had seen something new and then started reading Sam's Audio Engineering Reference Handbook and saw that the people who were on the cutting edge of mathematical modeling of woofer design were way ahead of me. Still many designers use cookbook recipes and apply software blindly without knowing why they do what they do.

Basically, a loudspeaker is a resonant device meaning it wants to vibrate at some frequencies and not at others. What the speaker designer wants ideally is a device that doesn't appear to want to vibrate at any particular frequency or group of frequencies at all over a very wide range of 10 octaves, the range of human hearing. To do that, not only do they use multiple drivers, each optimized for a smaller range of frequencies but they have to "tune" each one in effect optimizing it within its range. Acoustic suspension drivers/enclosures and drivers intended for ported enclosures and their enclosures are tune according to entirely different methods.

Three factors interact to play the determining role of what the frequency response will be. First is the mass. How heavey is the cone and other moving elements. Second is the spring constant which restores the cone to its neutral position after the electromotive force of the opposing magnetic fields of the coil and field magnet are removed. Third is an aerodynamic drag factor which dampens the motion. This factor is related to the velocity of the moving cone. We normally associate it with viscosity but you can't change the viscosity of air.

The true acoustic suspension woofer has a very low inherent springiness. Its spring comes from the difference in the air pressure trapped inside a sealed box and the pressure outside of the box. The huge advantage of this is that the force is independent of frequency but only dependent on the air compression or rarifaction. The drag is controlled often by fiberglass batting inside the cabinet causing the cone to have to suck or squeeze air between the fibers in order to overcome the difference in pressure. This makes it relatively easy to tune an acoustic suspension speaker to have a very flat frequency response down to a very low frequency and to fall off relatively gradually below that frequency. This means that using electrical equalization either within the crossover or at the line level, the response can be further extended to some degree. The tradeoff is relatively low efficiency but with advances in making powerful magnets for speakers in the last couple of decades, efficiency has improved.

Ported designs use drivers with mechanically much tighter suspensions which are needed to restore them when the electrical signal applied to them is zero. The enclosures are designed to reverse the phase of the sound coming from the back of the cone so that it is in phase with the front wave when it emerges from the box. The enclosure also has a port or pipe inside which acts much the way the pipe in an organ or reed or wind instrument works. It has a column of air inside which is very easy to move at some frequencies and not at all easy to move at others. The frequencies of "resonance" depends on the length of the pipe. The resistance of air and hence the springiness of the resistance to the woofer's movement becomes a very strong function of frequency. The speaker is very efficient at the "tuned" resonant frequency and at multiples of that frequency but very difficult to move at frequencies in between. It is extremely difficult to overcome this phenomenon. Because the resistance to moving air changes so sharply when you move away from the tuned frequency, ported speakers are considered to only be useful down to that frequency and not below it. To get this frequency very low requires an enclosure with large dimensions and so ported speakers that are reasonably small generally don't have the ability to reproduce the lowest tones you can hear.

There is no reason Japanese manufacturers cannot make outstanding loudspeakers. In general though, they don't seem to have. A notable exception is Yamaha NS 1000 which has a cult following and is a collector's item. I am sure in the future, Japanese high end manufacturers will catch up and produce some of the top rated models.

RGA
05-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Interestingly, I have pulled the speakers out from the corner and the sound is more open.

When I first auditioned the speaker though they were not in a corner but close to a wall. The rating frequency and sensitivity of the speaker is under a normal position. In a corner bass is rated to 36hz and the db rating should rise to 93db if that H/T calculator site is correct. It makes sense because in the corner the sound is louder at the same volume settiing - whether your preference for the sound in the corner is ideal is up to the individual.

The AN E is designed for a corner as well desopite being rear ported but Hi-fi choice mentions it measures confirms it best as free-standing - perhaps because the bass distortion is so low one can get away with them in a corner and not notice any irregularity that a graph produces - I have heard the E in both positions and there is a smidge less expressiveness in the vocals when in a corner but the bass is greatly enhanced.

The only issue I have with the K has been that with every alteration i make to position makes a very noticeable change to the sound I get. With my B&Ws and even my Wharfedales they were mostly the same or at least nothing to write home about. But if the K is too close to a wall it sounds thumpy to far away and thins out not toed in enough the soundstage is undefined - too far in and it something seems missing. Yet oddly once it's set you can sit anywhere across the front with a large seating position and the sound moves with you as you move like eyes on a painting so it doesn't sound "shifted."

Toe in seems to be important for side wall reflections but the manual states it will operate Parallel to the wall as well - which I have not tried - because I'm sick of pulling the stands out of the carpet - and it's bloody heavy. Then there is the tilting which is not stated but they probably assumed the buyer would buy the AN stands.

You know I think we should just buy a freakin system and be happy - They simply will sound different to different people in different rooms and set-ups anyway - and if there was one right answer there would be one speaker. There isn't so....

Debbi
05-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Resurrected the circa 1974 Advents a few year back with new foam surrounds...(eventually gave them to a friends son).....Very tight bass...but very limited volume considering the power applied....they were rated at 88spl. My other impression was that they sounded like 2 isolated small bricks compared with any number of newer ported designs... the strong point was very realistic sounding drums with tight bass....beyond all that and the previous threads, there must be some reason why 90% of the speakers made in the past 10 years are some kind of ported design...I frankly dont understand the trend myself if you can make suspension speakers work well now for about the same price...I do know that the woofer cones on the Advents had tremendous visible pulsing movement, so I would assume that the useful life was shorter...

skeptic
05-12-2004, 03:17 PM
There were about 4 or so principal companies which championed the acoustic suspension design although many other companies offered them too. These four all grew from Acoustic Research whose founder Edgar Vilcher invented the acoustic suspension principle. There was AR itself, KLH, Advent, and Alison Acoustics. Hard to believe but true, there was such a thing as the "east coast sound" which had a muted high end and frankly didn't have the bright dynamic qualities of the "west coast sound" championed by the likes of Altec Lansing and James B. Lansing (JBL). IMO, the qualities which differentiated them is this respect had nothing to do with bass performance but with the treble. The west coasters preferred horns which were bright but harsh and had limited dispersion while the east coast group favored cone and then dome tweeters, Acoustic Research invented the dome tweeter (and ferro fluid cooling). They based their design decisions on laboratory measurements. They also conducted several very successful live versus recorded demonstrations. For whatever reason, many people preferred a brighter sound and that is what is now in vogue.

Designing the typical audiophile speaker today is often a matter of cookbook decisions. An 8 inch woofer, a one inch Vifa, Dynaudio, or Morell tweeter, a Theil Small parameter designed 1.5 cu ft or so enclosure and a Lindquist-Riley crossover using high quality capacitors and inductors and there's your speaker. $1500 to $2500 a pair. If you want deep bass, that will be another $1000 for a subwoofer. If it's too bright, use a vacuum tube amplifier, speakers cables with very high capacitance, and a turntable with a moving coil cartridge. There's your typical audiophile sound system today. To each his own.

NickWH
05-12-2004, 06:15 PM
So far nobody has mentioned NHT speakers, which are exclusively acoustic-suspension designs (barring their subs). Allison Acoustics was recently resurrected and still produces only acoustic-suspension designs.

RGA, glad to see that you are still a human Audio Note commercial, on repeat. Yawn...

RGA
05-12-2004, 06:37 PM
So far nobody has mentioned NHT speakers, which are exclusively acoustic-suspension designs (barring their subs). Allison Acoustics was recently resurrected and still produces only acoustic-suspension designs.

RGA, glad to see that you are still a human Audio Note commercial, on repeat. Yawn...

Thanks I knew there was a big manufacturer still doing this and I could not rememer who the hell it was. NHT!!

There are some differences though. Audio Note only makes ONE Acoustic Suspension speaker in the K series. And the woofer is not high excursion in fact it operates not as a piston driver - and of course the drivers are closely matched which no speaker using a metal tweeter can ever be unless the woofer is metal too - and there are a few speaker recently that in fact have metal woofers - very expensive and I forget the brand name - something obscure though.

And I have decided to back off from being a walking advertisement - because it's simply too subjective - there is no right answer there is a preference. So unless the speaker fits the specific bill of a person asking a question only then will I mention them - and I will be sure to post at LEAST one other competitor hopefully 2-4+ Which is what I always tried to do before.

Besides nothing can live up to the hype anyway.

NickWH
05-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Besides nothing can live up to the hype anyway.

True that.

swampcat
05-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Think you got more info than you asked for. Technics speakers are bad speakers no matter if bass reflex or sealed. With new woofer materials available speaker co's can more easily control woofer movement wich lead to the over whelming use of the bass reflex design. When I was young, a bass reflex speaker was rare. Now sealed boxes are rare. I was amazed when I found a Boston Aucoustics ported speaker at a Tweeter store. They were known for their sealed box (claimed they were better for years). Sounds to me you really haven't listened to speakers other than Technics. I think any american made speaker will out perform these speakers. Technics, pioneer, sony and the like are @ $99 a peice for huge floor standing speakers with 12 and 15 inch woofers (advertised at huge eletronics stores all the time). Think about it ? A speaker this size from any american co would cost @ $500 a piece and up. They will probably Not, have huge woofers though., Seems speaker co's have gotten away from the huge woofer days. You'll find speakers with daul 6" and 8' woofers instead wich do rather well if not better. Go to a good stereo store and give a listen you'll hear the diference. A circuit city or even best buy will have polk, jbl,infinity ,athena's,klipsch, @ afforable prices, and stay away from bose. (if you want a huge woofer Cerwin vega! will out perform Technics).

veganaudio
05-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Do not get me wrong...I know great sounds coming from other brands , I just remember this little things all sealed and heavy as hell (all metal) sounding great they were $250 pr.

The ones I do not like are Klipsch they sound chirpy to me.

Bose .....no good, too flat.

love JBL but in Northern California I have no idea where to go and hear them.

I wanna try more great ones like paradigm, NHT, B&W, M&K ...to name a few

Cerwing Vega seems that is not the same they used to be (cheaper components? maybe...maybe I'm wrong)
remmember ALTEC Lansing What happened to those beauties??

skeptic
05-13-2004, 02:56 PM
" When I was young, a bass reflex speaker was rare."

I don't know when you were young but in the 40s, 50, and for much of the 60s, Ported speakers were the norm. Ported speakers were efficient and often came in a "lowboy" cabinet which was harmonious with much of the furniture of the time. Examples besides JBL and Altec were Electrovoice, ADC, EMI, Lafayette Radio, Eico, Heathkit, Goodmans, Frazier. The alternative was the "infinite baffle" which was just a closed box to contain the back wave and prevent it from the woofer from reaching the front. Before the days of stereo, may hobbyists built their own systems and one popular method was to mount a speaker on a closet door using the closet as an enclosure. Stereo required two speakers and many homes didn't have the space for two large speakers. Acoustic Suspension speakers were taylor made for stereo because you could produce high quality bass from a small enclosure. The catch was that you needed a powerful amplifier (powerful for the times.)

Much of today's "technology" has grown up around the myths that propagate through the audiophile subculture and even if manufacturers know what bunk they are, they give their customers what they think they expect to seejust to cater to the myths. So if 10, 12, and 15 inch woofers are not popular, they try to make due with 8 inch woofers. The myth that this revolves around is that a woofer has to be "fast". Actually, all woofers of the same diameter playing at the same loudness level have their cones traveling at the same speed. What is really meant is something called group delay and "phase response." It is a fact that there is a time delay between the application of the electrical signal to the voice coil and the response to it expressed in movement of the cone. It is believed by some that if the woofer/midrange and midrange/tweeter (in a three way system) or woofer/tweeter (in a two way system) group delays are close in time, that this will create phase coherence and better imaging. No proof has ever been offered for this idea but that's the culture. And of course,. larger speakers generally have longer group delays so smaller woofers are a better match in this respect for midranges and tweeters. When you get to the big guns though where speakers begin to cost in the same range as automobiles and buyers expect deep bass, they stop fooling around and give you a high quality large woofer. 12" or more. Whether it's a top of the line B&W or something else. Of course you can always shove nine 4inch full range acoustic suspension drivers into a small sealed enclosure and equalize the hell out of it. That works too.

hertz
05-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Hello Sound fans:

I have this memory of my youth (the 80's)of this small acoustic suspension speakers that had the most tight bass response ever....they were japanese -Technics SB-F2 (2 way)- placed on this small tripods.

Maybe the hard wood floor had a lot to do too with it and not too many furniture in that room, it was perfect.....ahhh what a memories.....

Later in the 90's my roommate had this old tower Technics (4 way), bass reflex this time, that sounded awesome with his old silver Kenwood Amplifier and Onkyo CD changer.

Are japanese speakers very good or they just fit my ears?

Any one with comments about this two types of speakers (Bass Reflex vs. Acoustic suspension) and japanese speakers???

Thank You

Most Japanese speakers are best avoided.While they make a lot of "HI FI" sound, the manufacturers are not too bothered with the finer aspects of sound reproduction.Typical problems are poor crossover implementation, bad driver integration, shrill highs, disjointed mids and highs, slow woofers resulting in wooly bass, inability to image properly etc...

swampcat
05-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Today almost all speakers I see are ported. When I was young, 70's almost all the popular speakers were sealed, except maybe jbl studio series and klipsch (not talking about extreem high end stuff). I live in the NE maybe this plays a part. (east coast sound) .

I too agree that larger woofers are better in a good floor standing speaker, but todays market is geared so you have to buy sub woofers. Ever since the introduction of the three peice systems in 80's and 90's speakers have been built around the use of a seperate sub. I've always had 12", 15" woofers. Also feel the speaker cabinet plays a major role in bass output which also has slowly become smaller and smaller. " Its the bose disease" Nothing is better than large floor speakers and today they all seem to have 6"and 8"woofers. I'm a klipsch fan, look at these , the largest woofer is 10" in RF-7's all the rest are 8's and 6's and even smaller. The klipschhorns only still use 15" woofers. This company alway's used large woofers and did so well.

This though, all has nothing to due with an upgrade from technics. Even all those boston co's port their speakers now. And there's probably wonderful aucoustic suspention speakers out there somewhere too.

swampcat
05-14-2004, 07:35 AM
"Cerwin Vega seems that is not the same they used to be (cheaper components? maybe...maybe Im wrong)"

Cerwin Vega! may have declined over the past couple years. They have been trying to keep from going out of bus. for past 5 yrs. Stanton Magnetics has purchased the co. just in the past year or so. Should be good mix. both Stanton and Vega! are geared toward commercial and disc jockey use, more so than home audio.

Pat D
05-14-2004, 11:24 AM
There is no reason Japanese manufacturers cannot make outstanding loudspeakers. In general though, they don't seem to have. A notable exception is Yamaha NS 1000 which has a cult following and is a collector's item. I am sure in the future, Japanese high end manufacturers will catch up and produce some of the top rated models.
Very interesting post, skeptic. As for Japanese speakers, there have been some good ones. I heard the Yamaha NS-1000 many years ago and thought it was a very fine speaker. I still have a review by Richard C. Heyser in Audio magazine somewhere. There have been other nice sounding Yamaha speakers, too, but I haven't preserved the model numbers, except perhaps NS-500 and NS-10 (a smallish speaker, I think).

I also heard quite a good Technics speaker many years ago, the model number SB-7000 sticks in my head, but may be wrong. Anyway, these were claimed to be phase coherent but did sound quite good, I thought.

So the Japanese are quite capable of making good speakers, though they often don't--but then the same is true for the Americans, British, and so on.

Woochifer
05-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Very interesting post, skeptic. As for Japanese speakers, there have been some good ones. I heard the Yamaha NS-1000 many years ago and thought it was a very fine speaker. I still have a review by Richard C. Heyser in Audio magazine somewhere. There have been other nice sounding Yamaha speakers, too, but I haven't preserved the model numbers, except perhaps NS-500 and NS-10 (a smallish speaker, I think)

The Yamaha NS-10 is a near field monitor that's been one of the most widely used monitoring speakers for the past 15 or so years. The NS-10 is popular because they're a great reference for smaller consumer speakers like car audio, computer, and mini systems, and a wide range of pop recordings primarily get played back through those types of systems so the mixing is optimized for that type of playback. Yamaha discontinued it a couple of years ago because the type of wood pulp that they used in the driver is no longer available. Nowadays, Mackie seems to be the most oft mentioned near field monitor.

WmAx
05-14-2004, 04:55 PM
and of course the drivers are closely matched which no speaker using a metal tweeter can ever be unless the woofer is metal tooThis is pretty big generalization. Do you mean most? Do you mean all that YOU have heard? DO you really mean all? Do know which specific parameters are responsible for proper integration?

"Material matching" is simply not true. The primary considerations for matching a midrange to a tweeter, for example, are:

(1) relative efficiency between the two(of course a resistor attenuation network can compensate for an imbalance)

(2) polar response at the fc(crossover frequency); both drivers should be as close as possible in their relatove dispersion at the chosen crossover point

(3) delayed energy storage - a property not correlated with frequency response, otherwise this would be linear energy storage - delayed energy storage is a characteristic created on standard drivers by two primary factors: (1) surround reflections - the sound waves will propogate at a frequency equal to the radius of the cone to the surround, the sound will reflect to and from the surround, oscillating (2) the diapgragm will usually be used in a band where it becomes non-pistonic, and not be able to be suitably damped by the voice coil motion, regardless of the source impedance presented to the VC, therfor oscillating significantly beyond the signal input decay. Some drivers effectively damp the majority of this behaviour with special diaphgrams or other unique operating principles (Focal W, K series, Linaeum, Manger, Impact/Airfoil, etc.). Some drivers simly attempt to operate within a band that they remain pistonic(mostly). Some drives are intentionally operated and/or used in passband that they are resonant, in ordet to use the 'coloration' as a signauture, tec. It is necesarry to match drivers that have somewhat similar delayed energy characteristics, at least throught he main passband at and around the crossover. Otherwise, a dis-similar sound could possibly be detected. A sudden shift of a mid to tweeter, with drastic different behaviours near the crossover points, would equate to a incoherant sound integration. It may seem to you that metal/metal combination match, becuase metal drives are usually operated compltely within their pistonic bands, with little to no resonances at and around the crossover frequency to the tweeter. Most paper-based speakers and poly based speakers have high levels of dealyed resonant behaviour in the used passband. Therefor, it is pluasible that these could often sound incoherant matched with a metal tweeter - which usually h ave a clean CSD responst up past 15kkz----some over 20khz, as compared to most fabric based tweeters which have signicant anamolies starting around 7khz. The Q, or width, of the resonances is larger with fabric/poly transducers, too, as opposed to the narrow inflection of metal drivers. It is really dependant, though. Some select fabric tweeters have responses as clean as good metal tweeters.

Bottom line is that most mixed designs may very well sound incoherant(I don't have statistical data on this phenomena), but this is certainly not a universal truth. A properly designed loudspeaker can have mixed diaphragm materials and sound coherant. It is a matteer of proper engineering.

-Chris

RGA
05-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Sorry Chris just from what I can tell - all the speakers from the following using metal tweeters don't sound to me like the integrate their drivers properly and thus there is either stridency or a fall off or some other annoyance to me. The best to me has been from B&W and JM Labs from what I have heard.

The following list I just posted in regards to somehting else so some won't have metal tweeters just brands I have heard.

B&W, Paradigm, Totem, Castle, Mission, Wharfedale, KEF, JBL, Energy, Mirage, Reference 3a, Klipsh, Jamo, Sonus Faber, Hales, ML, Mordaunt Short, Tannoy, Linn, Vandersteen, Cabasse, Legacy, Polk, Athena, Cerwin Vega, Acoustic Research, Thiel, Acoustech Labs, Boston Acoustics, JM Labs, Dynaudio, Gershman Acoustics...

And that's the list of the top of my Head - though it's probably close to complete.

I made the assumption(Don't do this I know) that when Audio Note sounded very cohesive from top to bottom and the others didn't, that their reasoning must be correct.

Basically I made an observation - then when reading their site several weeks after owning them - and talking to their owner on another forum that was the rationale he provided.

I also asked this of him on a forum:

As to the drivers, they are both from Vifa in Denmark, the tweeter is a highly modified version of the TD19, no ferro fluid, no damping and a special ferrite magnet, the woofer is also a Vifa which is a derivative of the original standard driver.
What makes the K do what it does is three things,
1.) Cabinet shape
2.) The choice of complimentary sounding drivers, i. e. the drivers have the same sonic signature across the band, so when the sound of an instrument travels from bottom to top it retains its characteristics. This is an area most sadly neglected by speaker designers these days.
3.) We set each crossover up under dynamic conditions using an in-house test set-up.
AN-K/SPe which is a fully veneered speaker cabinet with birch plywood front and back and an MDF wrap.

Woochifer
05-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Sorry Chris just from what I can tell - all the speakers from the following using metal tweeters don't sound to me like the integrate their drivers properly and thus there is either stridency or a fall off or some other annoyance to me. The best to me has been from B&W and JM Labs from what I have heard.

The following list I just posted in regards to somehting else so some won't have metal tweeters just brands I have heard.

B&W, Paradigm, Totem, Castle, Mission, Wharfedale, KEF, JBL, Energy, Mirage, Reference 3a, Klipsh, Jamo, Sonus Faber, Hales, ML, Mordaunt Short, Tannoy, Linn, Vandersteen, Cabasse, Legacy, Polk, Athena, Cerwin Vega, Acoustic Research, Thiel, Acoustech Labs, Boston Acoustics, JM Labs, Dynaudio, Gershman Acoustics...

And that's the list of the top of my Head - though it's probably close to complete.

I made the assumption(Don't do this I know) that when Audio Note sounded very cohesive from top to bottom and the others didn't, that their reasoning must be correct.

Basically I made an observation - then when reading their site several weeks after owning them - and talking to their owner on another forum that was the rationale he provided.

I also asked this of him on a forum:

As to the drivers, they are both from Vifa in Denmark, the tweeter is a highly modified version of the TD19, no ferro fluid, no damping and a special ferrite magnet, the woofer is also a Vifa which is a derivative of the original standard driver.
What makes the K do what it does is three things,
1.) Cabinet shape
2.) The choice of complimentary sounding drivers, i. e. the drivers have the same sonic signature across the band, so when the sound of an instrument travels from bottom to top it retains its characteristics. This is an area most sadly neglected by speaker designers these days.
3.) We set each crossover up under dynamic conditions using an in-house test set-up.
AN-K/SPe which is a fully veneered speaker cabinet with birch plywood front and back and an MDF wrap.

Oh boy, here we go again. Audio Note did it this way, therefore every other approach must be wrong.

This whole material matching argument is beyond bogus. You mean to tell me that if a speaker uses a metal tweeter, it MUST use a metal woofer? And if it uses a Kevlar woofer, it must therefore also use a Kevlar tweeter? Or if it uses a soft silk dome tweeter, then the woofer must also be made out of soft silk? Honestly, how many Kevlar tweeters or silk dome woofers have you ever seen? I mean, there are plenty of very good speakers out there that use Kevlar woofers and/or silk dome tweeters, with non-matching materials in the other drivers, so I guess it's just an accident that all these dumb**** speaker designers who dare to use different materials in their drivers made something even close to listenable, eh?

You're more than welcome to go into yet another one of your metal tweeter diatribes (and with this stubbornly ingrained prejudice, is it really possible for you do anything even close to an objective listening if you're going into the session fully expecting that it won't meet your preferences?), but let's not stretch a personal bias into universal truth.

If you want pure driver matching, why not just use an array of identical drivers for the whole frequency spectrum? Since you're all into matching, I guess the Bose 901 must be your favorite speaker in the world.

RGA
05-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Umm Read "2) The choice of complimentary sounding drivers, i. e. the drivers have the same sonic signature across the band, so when the sound of an instrument travels from bottom to top it retains its characteristics. This is an area most sadly neglected by speaker designers these days."

Nowhere does that say exact same drivers.

I had the same conclusion for 10 years - bought speakers - read this - and went "Ahh perhaps that must have been the reason all along." It was the objective listener looking for an answer.

skeptic
05-15-2004, 04:36 AM
"3.)"... "We"......" set each crossover up under dynamic conditions using an in-house test set-up."

Do you work for these people or do you have part ownership or some other vested financial interest in the sale of their products? This is the closest you have come to making such an admission. In the vast universe of loudspeakers, this seems to be the ONLY one you like in its price range. I have sometimes wondered why. This would explain it. The only other explanation I can think of for you referring to this company as "WE" instead of "THEY" is that you have some identity association problem the way sports fans have some sort of identity association delusion with their team who would pack up in the middle of the night on zero notice and move anywhere else they could make more money.

skeptic
05-15-2004, 10:00 AM
"and of course the drivers are closely matched which no speaker using a metal tweeter can ever be unless the woofer is metal too "

To truely match a woofer and tweeter, the first thing that would have to happen is that they should be mounted coaxially. If they are not, the mere fact that they are at different locations would mean that there would be interference patterns at every point in any room in the general frequency range where their respoinses overlap. Secondly, the faster driver would have to be fed a time delayed signal so that the two drivers produced vibrations that exactly coincided in time and space. To do that, the system would of course have to be biamplified and the faster driver fed with a delayed signal preferably frequency compensated. I do not know of a single example of any loudspeaker commercially available configured this way. On the bright side, as far as I know, nobody has ever demonstrated that this would yield a better or more accurate sounding speaker.

RGA
05-15-2004, 12:57 PM
"3.)"... "We"......" set each crossover up under dynamic conditions using an in-house test set-up."

Do you work for these people or do you have part ownership or some other vested financial interest in the sale of their products? This is the closest you have come to making such an admission. In the vast universe of loudspeakers, this seems to be the ONLY one you like in its price range. I have sometimes wondered why. This would explain it. The only other explanation I can think of for you referring to this company as "WE" instead of "THEY" is that you have some identity association problem the way sports fans have some sort of identity association delusion with their team who would pack up in the middle of the night on zero notice and move anywhere else they could make more money.

Nice try that is the answer Peter gave me on Audio Asylum. We is their company. Peter does not build them all himself you know just as Bowers and Wilkins are not building all the B&W's - which would be a neat trick.

There are lots of speakers I like in that price range. And like when I touted the De Capo for 2 years before ANY of the magazines got on board I like to tout yet another unknown which I think has a more accurate sound. Still like the De Capo. And you give me the impression you dislike standmounts because a lot of them sound bright and don't have much bass. Well these two - while still won't impress you enough in the bass department have jmore than all the other standmounts for the money and don't have the ringing either. And there are many I have not heard that seem to be liked like those from Von Sweikert, Quad, and ATC. But I can't recommend them because I have not heard them - yet I still say check them out because they seem to be well liked from reputable high end names - especially Quad.

Debbi
05-15-2004, 02:42 PM
If there were a truly superior speaker out there made from readily available materials ( that probably includes 99%), the larger companies could buy a pair and recreate them over the weekend....makes you wonder....auto companies already hit the design wall and thats why most of them look about the same....the wind tunnel dictates a design that 95% of the cars come close to ....I would like to think that some of these products have a "soul" for the extra buck paid, but beginning to look at speaker purchases like my shoes...."what name do you want on the product"?

skeptic
05-15-2004, 03:43 PM
I still can't get used to the idea that speakers that cost thousands of dollars can't producte deep bass. OK, Electrostatics and Magneplanars are exotic and require special manufacturing to build them in relatively small lots. This crap can be built from off the shelf equipment at a fraction of the cost but if the guy who is selling them had "special drivers custom engineered" for his design, it wasn't because there weren't off the shelf models available that would work just as well. It's because he doesn't want anybody reverse engineering them and building them at home for a fraction of the cost and because once they are out of warrantee, if they need repairs, he's gotcha!

High end audio equipment is the only area of electronics where over the years, you got less and less and paid more and more. High end TV sets are getting to be in the same league and many of them are jokes for the money. Especially the rear projections sets.

RGA
05-15-2004, 04:35 PM
If there were a truly superior speaker out there made from readily available materials ( that probably includes 99%), the larger companies could buy a pair and recreate them over the weekend....makes you wonder....auto companies already hit the design wall and thats why most of them look about the same....the wind tunnel dictates a design that 95% of the cars come close to ....I would like to think that some of these products have a "soul" for the extra buck paid, but beginning to look at speaker purchases like my shoes...."what name do you want on the product"?

Maybe it's about truly different than truly superior. There are rights to designs as well. For years Sony touted Trinitron as the superior picture tube all else sucked. Well the patent ran out and nobody jumped on it.

In the case of Audio Note they purchase the rights to what they like and tweak them. Their turntable which gets raves is simply a modified SystemDeckII and a Rega 250Arm with AudioNote Silver wiring their own cartridge for a budget price. Their second from top end turntable is a Voyd who went out of business.

Mr. Qvortrup and crew OWN some of the best spekaers available - looked at how to make them sound better and chose Snell. Granted a big reason would no doubt be because they dislike the sound of horns and needed something SET friendly. That alone would cut the options - though their SETs are fairly high powered actually - not the 5 watt variety.

The good stuff that was already good in the 1970's should still be good today - the low end is better today than the low end was then though. But you got more bass back then as Skeptic notes. But I would rather a good sounding speaker that misses the last 1.5 octave than a horrible speaker that produced the whole range - bass costs a lot then or now. For $2500.00 the AN E is a full range 2 driver standmount speaker which will produce to 12hz. That's about as good as it gets for the price and size.

Also:
The reason others don't simply copy is because most people want a cool LOOKING speaker - and that unfortunately is not Audio Note or Snell(which is why Snell changed from the original models to make worse sounding speakers but better looking ones - and sales went up - it's a business not a toy for many companies after all).

RGA
05-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I still can't get used to the idea that speakers that cost thousands of dollars can't producte deep bass. OK, Electrostatics and Magneplanars are exotic and require special manufacturing to build them in relatively small lots. This crap can be built from off the shelf equipment at a fraction of the cost but if the guy who is selling them had "special drivers custom engineered" for his design, it wasn't because there weren't off the shelf models available that would work just as well. It's because he doesn't want anybody reverse engineering them and building them at home for a fraction of the cost and because once they are out of warrantee, if they need repairs, he's gotcha!

High end audio equipment is the only area of electronics where over the years, you got less and less and paid more and more. High end TV sets are getting to be in the same league and many of them are jokes for the money. Especially the rear projections sets.

Well the Snell E sold in the 1970s for roughly the same as it does under the AN E label taking into account inflations. The AN E uses much better materials and has had the port changed to produce higher sensitivity and more bass response.

And the AN E tweeters and drivers can be purchased from Audio Note separately. Looking at the driver and the "upgraded" AN driver they are not insanely out of whack and all are well under 100 GBP. Well except the Alnico woofers on more expensive E's which go for about ~600GBPea.

And I have never blown a driver yet. The AN tweeters while there is no circuit cutter will disconnect under too much abuse saving them from being blown.

And you can attack Audio Note all you want but what is the difference between that and being FORCED to buy a Paradigm or B&W in house tweeter - there is no OEM for them and if they change speakers(which they seem to do every few years) if they don't have any you're COMPLETELY screwed. And there was an B&W owner that was flatly told that they no longer have a tweeter for his speaker - and there is no OEM Matrix or whatever tweeter. So it's in the scrap heap. Audio Note does not hide from what they use - why make the drivers internally when you can use something that works just as well? These companies like SEAS Vifa MORELL already build the BEST drivers on the planet --- they specialize in them - why spread yourself thinner building the mundane?

II'm not arguing with you about bass - it should be there for the money charged - but there is more to it than just bass - it has to be done right. Interestingly the reivew of the AN E the guy who owns Klipshhorns apogees and the mammoth Genesis Subwoofer system mentioned that the latter had more base but pedal Organ sounded BETTER and more organic with the E despite not going as low. Speakers are a series of compromises and bass is an area that can ruin the entire speaker if it's not done correctly. UHF noted that some speakers that could go deeper DELIBERATELY cut-off low frequencies just because they know the box resonance would be awful. Cut it off? Deliberately?

And some people don't want two 9 foot speakers in their room. Since most music will never go under 40hz anyway - a speaker going to 25hz is fine. The AN J which is rated 25hz -6db by Audio Note was actually measured to 20hz -3db by Hi Fi choice under measurement with very low distorion. That IS deep bass.

Now if Audio Note would re-make the Snell type A which they're considering I will be interested. Until then they're working on a Single Ended (using 845) Tube powered Subwoofer - which I have never seen done.

skeptic
05-16-2004, 05:28 AM
The real truth is that like in most businesses, there are no secrets in this business either. Most advanced hobbyists and all real pros could reverse engineer any product on the market. And among the hobbyists, some of them do just that. Even paying retail for the parts, most loudspeakers can be built for a fraction of the cost of buying them already assembled by the manufacturer. The exceptions are those that use parts that have been exclusively manufactured for a particular brand. As I have posted elsewhere, IMO this is not done for any particular technical reason but to prevent people from "rolling their own" and also to have exclusive control over repair. In the past, there were drivers for which no comparable parts were available. These included speakers like Acoustic Research and KLH especially in the early days. You may also find it impossible to obtain one of a kind types like EMIT tweeters and EMIM midranges. But most loudspeakers are made from off the shelf products that you can buy yourself.

One speaker I aspire to build one day, JBL Paragon D44000 is interesting in that by the manufacturer's own reckoning, of the approximately 1000 built over the many years of production, no two were exactly alike. The people who made them had the whole thing in their heads. The manufacturer claims there are no plans in existance anymore but once in a while you'll see them offered on e-bay for about $250.

skeptic
05-16-2004, 05:41 AM
I wasn't picking on any one brand in particular, I think the whole high end audio industry is outrageous. The tube amplifier designs are pretty much the same as they were 40 years ago. Do you really think there is anything new under the sun about the topology of an amplifier using 12AX7As and KT88s? They use better capacitors, that's all. Even so, the cost difference is wholly unjustified. How to build a 2 way or 3 way acoustic suspension speaker and optimize it is 50 year old technology. Theil Small is 20 years old. Computer programs will spit out all of the parameters for you for enclosure and crossover design in seconds. All you have to do it tell it what you want. And you can tweak it to your hearts content but please please don't ever have the audacity to call it research. Real research takes a lot more knowledge, skill, and equipment than almost any speaker manufacturer has. Qvroteoupeovvqou not withstanding. BTW, the class A designs are more like 70 years old. It is the easiest of all of them. It's the first type engineers learn.

RGA
05-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I don't think I'm disagreeing with you. You seem to have a dislike for Peter but he doesn't deny a single thing you stated. He does not hide from the fact of what he's doing - he is not saying he re-invented the wheel. Indeed, he is saying what you just said that it was already built WELL before and why change a great product simply because it is fashionable to do so with no sonic improvement whatsoever - but actually going int he reverse. You have the money but I don't see you buying into the latest and greatest B&W - and you have stated the exact same thing I have with a shift to more fatiguing speakers.

Unlike B&W who ramble on about Nautilus technology that makes all other tweeters sound like Crap in comparison - AN tells you straight up it's a Snell design they tell you where they source their drivers, what they build their turntables and cd players out of all the parts inside the units and if you so wish you can buy the blue-print or kit. Hell with the E you can buy the drivers and scematic for a coubple hundred bucks - you supply your own wood - they tell you which to use.

Why does not Paradigm or B&W do such things so you can buold the N801 for $500.00 which is all it costs. Look how many people complained about the horribly cheap crossovers of the N801 - this an industry standard recording monitor.(or the M801).

I don't see any wild claims - If you were to start a company would you not have the AR 9 in your line-up? You would no doubt have that speaker and then have to go out and get someone to get you those drivers - or are you going to build them all yourself. If no one is making those drivers you have to get the next best thing - so you phone up Vifa or SEAS and see what they can do - they meet your spec and you're set to go. Call your company "Audio Re-Invisionment" build old AR speakers because they're bound to sound better than new lousy stuff they make and put your 70's inspired AR up against the current crop and blow them all away.

I suppose I don't see your problem with them other than price - which can be ludicrous - but pricing is about the competition. If you go out and hear a Paradigm Studio 100V2 and you got your re-vamped AR 9 and see the price of 2k on the Paradigm and you know yours is better - just because you paid $400.00 to build it does not mean you're going to sell it for $500.00. You see geez people are willing to pay 2k for the Paradigm and $11k for the N801????? Hell I may as well charge $20k for my AR 9 because it's at least twice as good as the N801. And if people go listen to your revamped speaker against those other ones and they agree - well more profit for you and the customer, even knowing the price is "too" high, will be happy knowing they didn't get stuck with an inferior sounding speaker.

In other words would you rather overspend on a speaker you really love rather than saving 20% and get something a lot worse?

And then you canpander to the audiophiles by filling your AR 9 with exotic woods and wiring and jack the price way up. You know you may only sell 5 such units over a 10 year period but you gain a prestige factor and a sort of mythos - you're still mostly selling your stripped down models.

The only thing I see different from you and him is you don't personally like his liking for SET and or Snell and probably SystemDek or Voyd or his No times oversampling cd players etc. Or even their belief of listening to their entire system because that's the way they build and intend it be used as a system run in concert. But he's up front with it - it's an opinion and he believes it sounds better. They don't advertise. It looks pedestrian.

The compnay is the size of a flea on a Blue Whale. You should be going after the Big Boys wo charge just as much if not way more money for worse sound, worse materials but nice looks and an expensive ad-campaign.

Geoffcin
05-16-2004, 01:07 PM
"and of course the drivers are closely matched which no speaker using a metal tweeter can ever be unless the woofer is metal too "

To truely match a woofer and tweeter, the first thing that would have to happen is that they should be mounted coaxially. If they are not, the mere fact that they are at different locations would mean that there would be interference patterns at every point in any room in the general frequency range where their respoinses overlap. Secondly, the faster driver would have to be fed a time delayed signal so that the two drivers produced vibrations that exactly coincided in time and space. To do that, the system would of course have to be biamplified and the faster driver fed with a delayed signal preferably frequency compensated. I do not know of a single example of any loudspeaker commercially available configured this way. On the bright side, as far as I know, nobody has ever demonstrated that this would yield a better or more accurate sounding speaker.

That would be the Thiel 6 with the new coaxial mid/tweeter driver.

http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/Pages/cs6.html

Thiel lives on thier engineering. I've heard the 3.6's and I was impressed, and I've been told that the the 6's were incredible. The crossovers they use are a work of art to bring the phase responce to within a few degrees. The drivers are also precision time aligned.

WmAx
05-16-2004, 07:06 PM
The crossovers they use are a work of art to bring the phase responce to within a few degrees.
At least Theil, in this case, has made an improvement over most multi-way 1st order speakers. That is, since the sound at around fc of the mid/tweeter is eminating from the same point(relative to <1/2 wavelength), the combing effects caused by traditional mult way 1st order acoustic crossover speakers that produce significant off axis errors, are eliminated. Off axis response still will be far from linear with this example, but much improved, at least.

I question whetehr or not the transient-perfect result of 1st order acoustic slopes is of any signficant audible importance. In ABX tests, it was identifiable by myself in some music clips, specifically containing high amplitude transients, reliably. But a sublt difference, for sure. In general musical content, it was not possible to discern. These tests were performed with professional grade headphones, which are void of any room interferences. Audibility can be assumed to be considerably less in a normal listening environment(room).

The drivers are also precision time aligned
This certainly helps with crossover design(make it easier).

-Chris

RGA
05-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Thiel is quite an innovator - I just wish they would make a speaker that sounded musically satisfying - and before everyone or anyone dumps on me I'm not alone --the follow-ups have both camps - http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=152122&review=1

Though I admit the ones I heard were several years ago - so maybe they improved.

speakerman3
05-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Japanese speaker components can be excellent. Foster and Fostex tweeters are some of the nicest tweeters out there. The problem is that you won't find them on any Japanese speakers that are commonly sold in America. You will find them in some of the nicer U.S. designed speakers, however. Don't expect them to sound like the old school Technics speakers, though. They sound much better.