upcoming shows [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : upcoming shows

Toady
05-12-2004, 07:28 AM
90% of the reason i live where i live and pay the rent that i do is so that i can walk to nearly every show i see. and i see quite a few (several most weeks).

some interesting shows upcoming in cambridge/boston:

Mission of Burma :: The Dresden Dolls :: Sunburned Hand of the Man
@Avalon Sat 05/22/04

Telefon Tel Aviv :: Matters and Dunaway
@TT the Bear’s Mon 05/24/04

Braid :: Minus the Bear :: Murder by Death :: Orange Island
@ICC Church, Allston 5pm Fri 06/04/04

Hella :: Need New Body :: Make Believe :: The Autumn Rhythm
@TT the Bear’s Sun 06/06/04

Trans Am :: Bobby Conn :: The Frequency
@Middle East Downstairs Thu 06/10/04

Pedro the Lion :: John Vanderslice
@Middle East Downstairs Tue 06/22/04

Múm :: Kim Hiorthoy
@Museum of Fine Arts Wed 06/23/04

Iron & Wine
@Middle East Downstairs Sun 06/27/04

anyone else? cool stuff coming to your area?

Dave_G
05-12-2004, 07:40 AM
What kind of music are those bands?

I never heard of any of them.

Local stuff?

For Atlanta, nothing really exciting coming up except Rush and Nektar, the usual fluff is around too.

Dave

Toady
05-12-2004, 08:04 AM
ugh i just typed up a whole description and it tanked... here's a recap.

mission of burma is local. they are a punk band.

telefon tel aviv: electronic ambient

braid: catchy emo rock. same with minus the bear but they're a little more interesting on the arrangement side.

hella: they have to be seen/heard to believe. just a drummer and a finger-tapping guitarist. i'm not a big fan but i'm not missing this show because the drummer (zach hill) is one of the best out there. he's like 20.

trans am: indie post-rock.

pedro the lion: david bazan. he fronts a changing lineup. singer/songwriter-ish rock... very very melancholy.

mum: icelandic spacey stuff. think "sigur ros".

iron & wine: singer/songwriter folk. highly acclaimed.

PPG
05-12-2004, 08:15 AM
This summer, I plan to see:

Los Lobos (June)
The Spongetones (July)
Roger McGuinn (August)

Quite a few big names coming to the local amphitheatre but I'm not dealing with the prices & crowds. The above shows are at a small outdoor amphitheatre, very good seats, and sound.

Dusty Chalk
05-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Trans Am are one of my favourite live bands. I live in the DC area, so they play around here several times a year. I try to see them every chance I get.

I've also got a night where two different shows are competing -- Legendary Pink Dots (another one of my favourite live bands) and the Strange Boutique reunion show.

Toady
05-12-2004, 09:42 AM
I've also got a night where two different shows are competing.

it's hard to complain when that happens. most recently for me it was blonde redhead and the wrens playing on the same night. i opted for the wrens, naturally. a few friends of mine were actually able to catch both. i was too skeptical to try for myself.

skewiff
05-12-2004, 11:47 AM
This is part of the line up for Detroit. Quite a few bands I'd like to see.

The header was for Von Blonde, has anyone heard these?

They'll join Broken Social Scene, the Walkmen, the Killers, Secret Machines, Bumblebeez, Sahara Hotnights, Danger Mouse and the Datsuns, according to Billboard.com. The tour will kick off July 14 outside Seattle and will feature its first two-day lineup.

One night's lineup will sport the above bands as well as Morrissey, Sonic Youth, Le Tigre, PJ Harvey, Modest Mouse and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. The second night includes String Cheese Incident, Gomez, Flaming Lips, the Thrills, the Polyphonic Spree, the Coup, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Elbow, Wheat and Dresden Dolls. DJ Peretz (tour cofounder Perry Farrell) will perform with both bills.

Tony

Toady
05-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Broken Social Scene

one of the 5 best shows i've ever seen. phenomenal live band. go see!

-Jar-
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
90% of the reason i live where i live and pay the rent that i do is so that i can walk to nearly every show i see. and i see quite a few (several most weeks).

reminds me of when I was 23. I lived a short 5 minute walk from the club that had most of the good shows in Cleveland.. the Grog Shop. And I was within a half hour walk or 5 minute car ride to the other good club, the Euclid Tavern. My rent was under $200 per month, I was single, and pretty much drank like a fish. Name any Am Rep, Touch & Go, Sub Pop, Skin Graft, Matador, Trance Syndicate or Merge band working in the early 90's and I probably saw them, more than once. Then we had our local bands which were just amazing back then. We had Red Giant, the stoner rock neo-Hawkwind band, Boulder the over-the-top metal band, Craw and Sheilbound, the math-rockers.. the list goes on. Karma To Burn used to come up from WV and play almost monthly. I was really a great time. I'm 34 and married now and have gone to maybe 3 shows in the past year. Enjoy it while you can! :D

-jar

nobody
05-12-2004, 03:04 PM
This is part of the line up for Detroit. Quite a few bands I'd like to see.

The header was for Von Blonde, has anyone heard these?

Tony

That may be the Von Bondies you are talking about. They just put out Pawn Shoppe Heart this year, and it's pretty good. The male vocalist is the guy who got beat up by Jack White at the Majestic in Detroit. They've got a female vocalist and they sound a bit poppier when she sings.

And, I get to go back home for the weekend, job lead, and Nashville P<a>ussy, along with some good St. Louis bands are all playing a little bar. Of course, after a long drive from Michigan, I don't know if I'll make it or not.

Dusty Chalk
05-12-2004, 03:18 PM
...a few friends of mine were actually able to catch both.I've done that.

NP: Elliott, If They Do EP

Toady
05-13-2004, 04:23 AM
reminds me of when I was 23. I lived a short 5 minute walk from the club that had most of the good shows in Cleveland.. the Grog Shop. And I was within a half hour walk or 5 minute car ride to the other good club, the Euclid Tavern. My rent was under $200 per month, I was single, and pretty much drank like a fish. Name any Am Rep, Touch & Go, Sub Pop, Skin Graft, Matador, Trance Syndicate or Merge band working in the early 90's and I probably saw them, more than once. Then we had our local bands which were just amazing back then. We had Red Giant, the stoner rock neo-Hawkwind band, Boulder the over-the-top metal band, Craw and Sheilbound, the math-rockers.. the list goes on. Karma To Burn used to come up from WV and play almost monthly. I was really a great time. I'm 34 and married now and have gone to maybe 3 shows in the past year. Enjoy it while you can! :D

-jar

i'm 26 and live within a 10 minute walk of 3 major clubs. my rent is scaled accordingly :mad: .

Stone
05-13-2004, 04:52 AM
I'm 34 and married now and have gone to maybe 3 shows in the past year. Enjoy it while you can! :D

I can relate to this. Even though I'm not married anymore, between work, my son, and my girlfriend, I just don't find many opportunities to go to shows (not that there're a bunch of good ones around here anyway, but that's another story). Growing up sucks.

-Jar-
05-13-2004, 09:31 AM
i'm 26 and live within a 10 minute walk of 3 major clubs. my rent is scaled accordingly :mad: .

we divided rent on a 2nd and 3rd floor of a house between 4 people. just a good location I guess. there were 4 of us, all rabbid music fans. I bet there were probably around 3000 cds in that house, not to mention the vinyl. Pls we got tons of freebies and free tickets because we were all involved with college radio and writing for a local 'zine. I feel so out of touch these days.. this board is about all I have.

-jar

Toady
05-13-2004, 09:44 AM
we divided rent on a 2nd and 3rd floor of a house between 4 people. just a good location I guess. there were 4 of us, all rabbid music fans. I bet there were probably around 3000 cds in that house, not to mention the vinyl. Pls we got tons of freebies and free tickets because we were all involved with college radio and writing for a local 'zine. I feel so out of touch these days.. this board is about all I have.

-jar

i live with one roommate who is a musician and giant music nerd like me. we end up with guestlist spots pretty regularly, and most shows are $8-12 anyhow, so it's always a cheap night out. rent, on the other hand, is pretty intense. my share is $800. we live in a 2 br. apt. that totals about 650 sq. ft. :cool:

ToddB
05-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Wow, I envy your proximity to great clubs. But not your rent. : )

The only future shows I'm definite about seeing are both in September: Pixies, and Face To Face.