DVD Player without DD,DTS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player without DD,DTS

sameerg
05-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Is there (Budget ) DVD Player without DD,DTS decoders.
Since I'll be always connecting player to a/v recriver (via digital out), then why pay extra for decoders.
So combination that I am looking for is a budget DVD Player without decoders
but with good sound quality and reliability.

Is anything comes to your mind ?

markw
05-12-2004, 02:08 AM
In fact, very few do.

I've heard tell that Toshiba markets a nice unit (3960?) that sells for around $80 or so that does a bang up job with both music and video. Of course, like most DVD players it depends on the receiver to do the DD/DTS decoding via the digital feed from the player.

If that's not cheap enough, I don't know what to tell ya. Quality and realibility gotta cost something, right? Then again, there's always the wal-mart $40 specials.

N. Abstentia
05-12-2004, 03:24 AM
Good players can be had for less than $100. Can't get much more 'budget' than that.

Woochifer
05-12-2004, 12:06 PM
DD and PCM are built into the DVD standard, so all players I'm aware of will have the audio decoder on board. Keep in mind that most DVD players are connected using just the two-channel analog outputs to a TV, and you need the audio decoder and DACs in order to do that. Even the $50 Apex models have analog audio outputs, so I doubt you can get more bottomfeeding than that.

markw
05-12-2004, 01:28 PM
DD and PCM are built into the DVD standard, so all players I'm aware of will have the audio decoder on board.

DD and DTS are available on all DVD players. These are generally "decoded" in the receiver by using the coaxial/optical digital stream from the player to the decoder in the receiver. And, yes, I don't think any exist without these. And yes, there's always good old analog two channel if all else fails.

I believe the term "decoder" would most appropiately apply to the DAC that converts the digital stream into analog outouts.

Scant few DVD players have the needed goodies needed to feed the 5.1 analog signals to a receiver. I went thru this a few weeks ago for someone here.

Woochifer
05-12-2004, 02:22 PM
DD and DTS are available on all DVD players. These are generally "decoded" in the receiver by using the coaxial/optical digital stream from the player to the decoder in the receiver. And, yes, I don't think any exist without these. And yes, there's always good old analog two channel if all else fails.

I believe the term "decoder" would most appropiately apply to the DAC that converts the digital stream into analog outouts.

Scant few DVD players have the needed goodies needed to feed the 5.1 analog signals to a receiver. I went thru this a few weeks ago for someone here.

Well, they gotta be downmixed and converted first before getting output into the two-channel analog output. I would presume this is impossible to do on DD soundtracks without a DD decoder built into the player.

vivisimonvi
05-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Even the $50 Apex models have analog audio outputs, so I doubt you can get more bottomfeeding than that.

If you want a remote that'll last you, avoid Apex. I've been through three models where the remote seems to fail and really crap out after about a year (or less). It's very hard to even find a universal to work with Apex. Apex players are better known for the their vast compatibility with many digital formats (not just DVD-VIDEO) if you find the right model.

sameerg
05-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Thx for technical insights.
hmm ... I have increased my budget and narraowed down to
Pioneer 563A and Onkyo DV-SP501.
Pioneer is offering DVD-A,SVCD in same price as Onkyo.
My preference is good stereo sound and video quality.

If there is a vast quality difference between Pioneer and Onkyo ?

magictooth
05-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Thx for technical insights.
hmm ... I have increased my budget and narraowed down to
Pioneer 563A and Onkyo DV-SP501.
Pioneer is offering DVD-A,SVCD in same price as Onkyo.
My preference is good stereo sound and video quality.

If there is a vast quality difference between Pioneer and Onkyo ?
A good budget model to consider is the Toshiba SD-3960. It's got 24/192 DACs and the latest decoding chip (I think Crystal). It should sound very good in stereo. No DVD-A, but it says that it can play VCD - not sure about SVCD. This one can be bought for as little as $40 on ebay and for a bit more get a local model at Walmart or other big box.

If it helps, I've had an Onkyo Integra DVDp before, and I liked it a lot.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Well, they gotta be downmixed and converted first before getting output into the two-channel analog output. I would presume this is impossible to do on DD soundtracks without a DD decoder built into the player.

Well my brudda, downmixing is done by using metadata instructions in the dolby digital data stream. The decoder in your receiver does this function and is not done by the player itself.

magictooth
05-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Well my brudda, downmixing is done by using metadata instructions in the dolby digital data stream. The decoder in your receiver does this function and is not done by the player itself.
I think he means the 2 ch. analog output from the DVD player not the 2 ch. from the receiver. I can plug a DVD player's R/L directly into an amplifier and get sound. I think that's solid proof that some players have internal DD decoding.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I think he means the 2 ch. analog output from the DVD player not the 2 ch. from the receiver. I can plug a DVD player's R/L directly into an amplifier and get sound. I think that's solid proof that some players have internal DD decoding.

First, all DVD players contain a rudimentary Dolby Digital decoder, able to output at least two channels. These decoders are much the same as six-channel decoders but are lacking the required DACs and analog elements. The internal decoder is not very sophisticated, and it's primary function is to handle dowmixing instructions from the Dolby Digital data stream (Decoding instructions B,C,and D). It relies on the DVD players internal DAC for outputting a PCM signal.

My bad, I thought he was referring to 2 channel from the receiver.