Inexpensive DVD burners [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive DVD burners

Jim Clark
11-28-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm looking to add a computer based DVD burner to my Christmas list. Need some basic information to get me on the correct path. I know I'm going to look for a dual format burner (+/-), but other than that I know virtually nothing. Here are my questions:

1). Will the currently advertised cheaper brands like Buslink, Mad Dog, etc. be OK? These are currently being advertised for well under 100.00 or would it make more sense to go with a name brand?

2). Will the copies (either + or -) play on an older DVD player like my Pioneer 525 or will that need to be replaced as well or should I replace the player before attempting copies.. Other than noticeable layer changes my trusty 525 has been a real trooper.

3). I bought the software already-DVD X Copy Gold due mainly to very good reviews and 70 dollars in rebates through Best Buy today. Was that a bad idea? It was the last copy they had.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Regards,
jc

jeskibuff
12-01-2003, 03:50 AM
Will the currently advertised cheaper brands like Buslink, Mad Dog, etc. be OK? These are currently being advertised for well under 100.00 or would it make more sense to go with a name brand?
I've used some of the cheaper CD units before, getting them free after rebate from OfficeMax or CompUSA. They worked for a while, then went belly-up. The price WAS right, though...I did get SOME use out of them!

Up for your consideration is a name-brand player for sale today only at Buy.com. The TDK indiDVD is about $80 AFTER $60 in rebates. I bought one of these a short time ago, but haven't yet installed it. Today's deal is about $20 higher than what I got it for, but it's still not too bad.
http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance/dotd.asp?loc=114&sku=70012143

Sorry, I can't help you much with the rest of your questions.

Jim Clark
12-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. I saw your previous post and decided against that particular model since it's only capable of writting the + format. I just know that if I bought it my Pioneer would require the - format. If figure the +/- drives are probably my safest bet right now.

Guess this DVDR thing hasn't really caught on around here but in the meantime I've found a few dedicated DVDR forums and been able to get some good ideas. Currently it looks like the OEM Pioneer DVR 106 is the weapon of choice based on my criterea.

Thanks again,
jc

This Guy
12-01-2003, 07:36 AM
It was around $120 and it works great. Look at the ones at Tigerdirect.com. They are a good computer parts retailer. We also bought some Blank DVD'R's and they gave us a free DVD Xpress software (the low end one that retails for around $60). And these copies look just like the orriginal, accept It doesn't show the menu, it just starts the movie like VHS would. But the 5.1 sound and great video are still there. The DVD Xpress Gold is very good software and you got it at a very good price. I was thinking about getting this other software called "DVD wizard Pro", and it does everything the Gold does, but it copies video games.

-Joey