need advice selecting DVD Player (up to $500) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need advice selecting DVD Player (up to $500)

stevos2005
05-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I just got a Toshiba 50" widescreen High Definition TV and need help selecting a DVD player. I already have a decent surround sound home theater system and am planning to upgrade considerably over the next few years (to NAD or similar quality processors and separate amps, etc) I currently have a really cheap non-progressive DVD player.

I'm willing to spend up to $500 for the DVD player. I'd like to have DVD-Audio as well. I'd like it to serve as an excellent CD player, and look the best on a 50" TV with progressive scan. I want this player to be the first "permanent" piece to an entry level true hi-fi system. Do you have any suggestions? Some players offer video upconversion. Is that an good?

Thanks!

Geoffcin
05-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I just got a Toshiba 50" widescreen High Definition TV and need help selecting a DVD player. I already have a decent surround sound home theater system and am planning to upgrade considerably over the next few years (to NAD or similar quality processors and separate amps, etc) I currently have a really cheap non-progressive DVD player.

I'm willing to spend up to $500 for the DVD player. I'd like to have DVD-Audio as well. I'd like it to serve as an excellent CD player, and look the best on a 50" TV with progressive scan. I want this player to be the first "permanent" piece to an entry level true hi-fi system. Do you have any suggestions? Some players offer video upconversion. Is that an good?

Thanks!

Is going to be the switch to a progressive scan DVD player. DVD-Audio is also a big plus. There are several All-in-one players, like the Pioneer 563. While a great bargain, I prefer a better built unit. I'm using a JVC with DVD-Audio capabilities. It also has digital zoom, and pan, along with bass managment, and other interesting features that let you get the most out of your DVD's.