help with tone arm position [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help with tone arm position

CSMR
05-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I picked up a Pioneer PL-570 the other day, and decided to take a look inside. It's an automatic belt-drive turntable. When I put it back together, it still works, but the tone-arm is at the wrong angle: I can't pull it back to its original position, and when the record is finished, it doesn't quite make it back to its support. It droops and looks very sad. Also the turntable never stops turning - it used to switch off automatically when the arm was back. Slightly annoying to have to unplug the thing whenever I want it off.
Any advice from the experts?
Thanks!

Resident Loser
05-12-2004, 09:07 AM
...something is mis-aligned, restricting movement and not allowing it to trip the shut-off mechanism/switch...you may need a service manual or someone really familiar with TTs in general and this one specifically to remedy it..

Having said that, it might be something obvious such as a misplaced lever(of sorts) that is causing the problem...disconnect the power and if you turn it over carefully and examine the guts, manipulate the arm(do this carefully) and try to determine what is blocking it from returning to the arm rest...without knowing what the layout was before your initial investigation, it may be difficult to correct the problem or it may be as simple as releasing or realigning an obvious part of the return/shut off hardware...look for a micro-switch or something that looks like a switch and work backwards tracing out the mechanicals...if you only opened it up and looked around, it may be a gravity loaded pin or some such device that is out of alignment...open it up and see if you can manually(and carefully) return it to the rest...close it up and try it then...

If, however, you didn't just look but also touched, you might want to consider a trip to the repair shop as you might cause further damage...and when you get there, tell them what you did...it will be cheaper in the long run.

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

Resident Loser
05-12-2004, 09:20 AM
...the Pioneer website has few parts and no service manuals for this unit...

jimHJJ(...sorry, you're on your own...)

CSMR
05-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll rummage around some more. I just wanted to fix an unstable turntable speed (belt problem, but as this is my first record player I didn't know this) but curiosity got the better of me and turning some screws may have caused the problem - don't quite remember what I did.