Having problems with Yamaha receiver... need advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with Yamaha receiver... need advice

stevos2005
05-10-2004, 08:29 PM
I've had a Yamaha RX-V2095 for the past 4 years. It never sounded quite right to me, although a lot of people seem to like the model. After individual testing, I found out that the front left channel isn't functioning properly. The front right is very powerful and dynamic, but the front left is missing the crisp highs and the powerful lows, and even the midrange sounds slightly muffled. This is very disappointing. I did get the unit very cheap, since it was returned/refurbished.. and I now see why.

My current system is a the Yamaha reciever with Polk RTi series fronts and surrounds, and no center channel speaker. Now that I'm finally graduating from college, I do plan on upgrading little by little, but I have to take care of the annoying left channel. Is there any way I could find out if the problem is with the pre-amp section or with the amp section? If it's the pre-amp section, I'm pretty much screwed. If it's the amp, I'm interested in purchasing a decent two-channel amp. I'm thinking about the NAD C272. That's about the price range I can afford at this point. I want something that would also be an upgrade from the stock Yamaha amp, had it been working properly. Does anyone know if that's a good amp? I'm eventually planning to upgrade to Definitive Technology speakers (probably power monitor 700's in the front L & R and a CLR 3000 for the center). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

46minaudio
05-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Have you tried swapping the left and right speaker ?If not give that a try it could be in the speaker..

stevos2005
05-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Have you tried swapping the left and right speaker ?If not give that a try it could be in the speaker..

I've already done that. Both speakers work fine. I've also tried different pairs of speakers too. It's definitely in the receiver. Do you think maybe swapping the left vs. right in the pre-out main in might help?

Also, if it is the amp. Are NAD amps any good? What type of sound do they produce?
Thanks

46minaudio
05-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Steve IMO you should take it to a repair shop and see how much it would cost to be fixed..Adding the NAD IMO would be slight if any improvement in SQ.It would also cost as much as getting a new Unit..If the repair is to much $ look at the Yamaha RXV 1400 with YPAO and DPL2X.They can be had for around 650$...Hpoe this helps...