Home theatre in a box problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home theatre in a box problem

Konni
05-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi I need your help.

My home theatre setup was stolen a week ago while I was at at work,
I had my Denon 3802 and my Toshiba DVD player stolen. It has all worked out tough because my insurance covered it all, but here is the problem iīm going to be a father in a little while and I donīt think I need a set up like that again, so i.m lookin for a HTIB solution to replace it but I donīt know wich one, my budget is about a 1000$ and I would appreciate any help on the matter. IT has to sound very good!! thanks in advance..

Best regards

Konni

paul_pci
05-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Hi I need your help.

My home theatre setup was stolen a week ago while I was at at work,
I had my Denon 3802 and my Toshiba DVD player stolen. It has all worked out tough because my insurance covered it all, but here is the problem iīm going to be a father in a little while and I donīt think I need a set up like that again, so i.m lookin for a HTIB solution to replace it but I donīt know wich one, my budget is about a 1000$ and I would appreciate any help on the matter. IT has to sound very good!! thanks in advance..

Best regards

Konni

Do you still have your speakers? I ask because the words "home theater in a box" and "sound very good" are typically oxymoronic. For $1000 you could get a nice receiver and a basic dvd player. Or you could go piece by piece. Start with the receiver that meets your needs and the right dvd player, then shop around and budget for the right speakers, maybe begin with your mains, then add the rears, center as you can.

Bryan
05-11-2004, 06:24 AM
"It has to sound very good."

Yikes. You are asking for a receiver, speakers, and a sub to be included at a price that will be difficult. Now, if you are talking something that will be okay for music and good to excellent for HT this can be done. If you desire something that will excel with music then avoid the HTiB solution. As an example of something geared more towards HT that should be an excellent solution for you:

HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com) Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo - $660ish delivered. Money here is geared towards the sub and assuming it will be a mainstay in your system.
Yamaha HTR-5740 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340122&skuId=6304741&productCategoryId=cat03031&type=product) - $300 delivered. Should be excellent for you for a few years. If you need a dvd player too, go with the 5730 that goes for $200 delivered.