Urgent help before I buy... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help before I buy...

amgad
05-10-2004, 11:54 AM
I am about to buy an ONKYO TXSR601 amplifier... I want to get a set of Jamo E350PPL (2 x E350 + 1 x E3CEN + 2 x E3SUR). The speakers (set) will cost me around $ 320.

Is this the best set I can get for my money (looking at infinity, JBL, KEF etc..)?

Are they good quality (sound, construction etc) ... I need them mainly for good quality music (all kinds, but with a punch!) but will also be using the set for home cinema.

How about the amplifier?

Can anyone advise me please?

Thanks guys-

Worf101
05-10-2004, 08:42 PM
I do know the Onkyo 601. It's just a step above entry level. It does what you ask of it very well. Easy to set up etc. It doesn't have a phono input though, so if that's important to you go to the 701 or another brand. As for the speakers.. someone else will have to help you there. Onkyo's are easy to set up for first timers though which is why I recomend them.

Da Worfster :cool:

RGA
05-10-2004, 10:33 PM
DO you like the sound of the Jamo? If yes they're prety good. Jamo is a bit hit and miss and I can't comment on these specific ones. Kef sounds very different and have a big following. To me JBL is as bad as Bose for the most part(well the Northridge/Studio series).

You could try Klipsch, Polk and if possible Mission and Wharfedale

Klipsh will be the easiest to power and probably the most powerful(loud) speakers while still sounding pretty good. But horn speakers are not for everyone.

amgad
05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I have been offered these... Polk PackFive (R30 + R15 + CSI25). How abou them combined with the Onkyo 601? Whats the power rating like, what kind of soud do they produce?

RGA
05-12-2004, 01:28 PM
I have been offered these... Polk PackFive (R30 + R15 + CSI25). How abou them combined with the Onkyo 601? Whats the power rating like, what kind of soud do they produce?

I have not heard the specific Polks - my friend owned a set of Polk standmounts that sounded quite nice though.

Unless you're in a hurry I would suggest you go to chapters and check out What Hi-fi magazine because they often do shootout tests with several home theater speaker set-ups. I would not go by them solely but they're more up to date than I.

In he end it's your ears that have to judge because lots of stuff that get good reviews would not be my choice. For $300.00 though it sounds like you're looking at brands that are a bit better than the others. Polk, Jamo etc have solid reputations for good budget speakers.

You could check out Energy Take 5 system but might be pricey - or listen to stuff from PSB, Paradigm, Mission etc. Try them out - nothing is going to be vastly superior to something else in this price range - but one brand may sound a lot more agreeable to your taste - and that's the key - what are you going to get more enjoyment out of? No one here can answer that but you. We can just throw out some lesser known but attractive sounding to US options.

F1
05-13-2004, 08:32 PM

If you don't have to get floorstander, I would suggest to get Polk RTi4 or RTi6 instead of R30 and get a subwoofer later. Based on my previous Polk experience some time ago, the sound is kind of sweet... Their RTi series is more pleasant to listen compared to their entry level series. You have to listen yourself. Good luck.

paul_pci
05-13-2004, 09:46 PM

I have almost the exact speaker setup with a Yamaha receiver and they sound fine. Polk speakers work well with most systems. They're not power hungry so you don't have to worry about getting a high powered receiver, if you don't want to spend the money at this point. I think if you're new to all this, Polk would be a good foray into home theater and the like.

amgad
05-27-2004, 02:20 PM
I have almost the exact speaker setup with a Yamaha receiver and they sound fine. Polk speakers work well with most systems. They're not power hungry so you don't have to worry about getting a high powered receiver, if you don't want to spend the money at this point. I think if you're new to all this, Polk would be a good foray into home theater and the like.

I have decided to go for the Polk Pack five speaker set...

F1
05-27-2004, 06:53 PM
I have decided to go for the Polk Pack five speaker set...

Enjoy.
Please reminded that speaker placement, room acoustics and receiver setting can greatly affect the sound. So take your time to set up the system to its optimum performance.

millwright008
05-28-2004, 06:24 PM
you are not going to be happy with any of the options you've mentioned.

go to a hi fi store and get yourself a good set of speakers. then a good tube amp.pre amp etc.sorry but good music reproduction does not come cheap.

Good Luck!
Russ 702.564.1506

millwright008
05-28-2004, 06:26 PM
you are not going to be happy with any of the options you've mentioned.

go to a hi fi store and get yourself a good set of speakers. then a good tube amp.pre amp etc.sorry but good music reproduction does not come cheap.

Good Luck!
Russ 702.564.1506
sorry but good deals can be had at used stereo shops.