Speaking of movie soundtracks... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of movie soundtracks...

Slosh
05-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Last night I gave command of the remote control to the girlfriend and had her stop on one of the HBO channels when I heard Clinic's "Harmony". The movie was Laurel Canyon which I never heard of. Can't really comment on the movie itself too much because we missed the first half but the premise is a recent Harvard med grad and his equally accomplished girlfriend move in with his mother temporarily, who is a record producer. It seems like it's kind of a chick flick, but not overtly so. I'll have to watch it from the beginning one of these days.

But it's the music in this film that I find interesting. Caught bits of Mercury Rev, Sparklehorse, T Rex, Butthole Surfers, etc. In the closing credits I saw Mark Linkous (of Sparklehorse) wrote the music for the fictious band that is recording an album during the film.

Looks like a good soundtrack.

http://www.moviemusic.com/CD/laurelcanyon.html

-Jar-
05-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Can't really comment on the movie itself too much because we missed the first half

I hate it when that happens..

;)

Slosh
05-09-2004, 04:23 PM
I hate it when that happens..

;)

Ah, the 'ol "pity" reply ;)

NP: Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
Whatta great album to wind down the weekend with. In fact, I think I'll get off the computer and kill the CD then pour a tasty beverage and throw the LP on the big system and chill in the sweet spot now :)

-Jar-
05-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Ah, the 'ol "pity" reply ;)

NP: Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
Whatta great album to wind down the weekend with. In fact, I think I'll get off the computer and kill the CD then pour a tasty beverage and throw the LP on the big system and chill in the sweet spot now :)

Another movie that had a pretty good soundtrack was LOVE AND A .45.. I know at least "Turn it On" by the Flaming Lips and "Who was In My Room Last Night" by the Butthole Surfers was in the soundtrack...

Vanilla Sky has a nice-looking soundtrack, but I haven't seen that yet.

I miss my sweet spot.

I miss listening to vinyl without BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-jar

newtrix1
05-10-2004, 02:48 AM
I picked it up a few weeks ago. I'm having the same reaction to this as I did with the "Brother Where art Though?" soundtrack. At times it's a bit too outside-the-box for my taste, like the acapella choir type stuff. However I am liking several tracks off "Cold Mountain", like the Alison Krauss & a couple of the Jack White tunes.
The movie itself is still on my rental wishlist, just need some free time.

PPG
05-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Speaking of "Vanilla Sky" I think that Macca track is pretty cool.