BIG Fight in BEST BUY Floor Speakers AS-F2s vs NS-777! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BIG Fight in BEST BUY Floor Speakers AS-F2s vs NS-777!

Snakes31
05-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm looking to purchase some new speakers. I have considered the Athena AS-F2s or the Yamaha NS-777. I was also considering purchasing the matching center channel. The costs are about the same along with the specs. Just looking for a recommendation from you Audio experts :). Hope to hear from you soon.

Bryan
05-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Looks like you want to spend $500ish on a pair. Have you considered looking at offerings from B&W, Dynaudio, PSB, or Paradigm? Are you open to factory direct models? What about used speakers? Bookshelf speakers okay?

Weister42
05-10-2004, 09:32 AM
I think Athena's got better materials for their drivers...the cone is stiffer when you try to push the speaker with your hands than the Yamahas; usually a stiffer cone translates to accuracy, and I don't dig the transparent cone(Pyramid Originals have clear poly cones, and they are one of the cheapest woofer you can buy).

However if I was you, I'd buy something from eBay or such...you can get great deals from a honest dealer.

N. Abstentia
05-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Where's option 3?

3) Avoid Best Buy and visit a real audio store. You'll get a far better speaker for the money. If your town is big enough for a Best Buy, they'll have a real audio store somewhere.