Home Theater - Receiver FM Antenna [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater - Receiver FM Antenna

Bala
05-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Probably smack myself for asking this. The receiver has a FM tuner right? I'm buying the Yamaha 1400 or 2400. If it does then is a FM antenna required? It will be in my basement (where else?). How long does it have to be? Where does it terminate? Never had one. So....

Regards,
Bala

mtrycraft
05-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Probably smack myself for asking this. The receiver has a FM tuner right? I'm buying the Yamaha 1400 or 2400. If it does then is a FM antenna required? It will be in my basement (where else?). How long does it have to be? Where does it terminate? Never had one. So....

Regards,
Bala

If you are planning to listen to FM radio, then yes, most likely you need an antenna with a receiver.

The receiver should come with a basic antenna and an insrtucion manual how to hook it up. Try that first and see if your needs as to an FM radio is met with it or not.. Then come back with more questions, ok?

markw
05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Every FM tuner needs an antenna. How much of an antenna depends on the receiver's location in relation to the desired stations. In some areas a simple Rat Shak $3.00 dipole is adequate for satisfactory reception of local stations. In other locations, a huuuuuge Yagi mounted on a tower outside, perhaps with a rotor, is needed to receive any stations at all.

Most situations fall somewhere in between. Without more info, we can't be more specific.

It's preferable to have a mediocore tuner with a good antenna as opposed to a great tuner with an inadequate antenna.

FWIW, FM signals don't ilike basements at ALL. You can pretty much figure on mounting an antenna above ground, preferably outside or in an attic.

Bala
05-10-2004, 05:46 AM
Doesn't the A/V receiver come with a built-in FM tuner? Am I dreaming here? I get fairly decent reception on my CD player/tuner without a Fm antenna attached. But I'll run one for the basement just in case. Thanks,

Markw,
read your signature footnote and couldn't help but post this here. No offence meant though.

Why are new yorkers so depressed?

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

'cause the light at the end of their tunnel is New Jersey.

Thanks for the advice again.
Always appreciated. Peace.

Monstrous Mike
05-10-2004, 10:53 AM

Regards,
Bala
A good option is to take a feed from your cable signal. My cable company has a plethora of good FM radio stations, and many that I couldn't get with even the best antenna.

mtrycraft
05-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Doesn't the A/V receiver come with a built-in FM tuner? Am I dreaming here? I get fairly decent reception on my CD player/tuner without a Fm antenna attached. But I'll run one for the basement just in case. Thanks,

. Peace.

The CD player/tuner has a built in antenna. Receivers don't.

Yes, MMs suggestion may be best, hook into the cable TV. :)