Alright, we're going to see 3 groups Sat. night, who's gonna be the best? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alright, we're going to see 3 groups Sat. night, who's gonna be the best?

dld
05-07-2004, 05:37 PM
The lineup for Saturday at our suburb's local Spring festival is:

Paul Rodgers from Bad Company and his band

Gin Blossoms

Blue Oyster Cult

Although the Gin Blossums had some pretty good stuff what, 10 years ago?, I'm not looking for them to knock my socks off. Seen Bad Company and although they certainly did some of the better mid seventies rock, their show wasn;t something to write home about. Can't see the Paul Rodgers current incarnation having more life 29 years later. That leaves Blue Oyster Cult. My money's on them. Always had a fond place in my heart for them, although I've only owned (and since gave to my son) one Lp by them. Any predictions?
$10, can't pass this up.

Tonights lineup is Tanya Tucker, Blues Traveller, and The Polyphonic Spree. Would have LOVED to have seen the Spree, just couldn't pull it off.

DarrenH
05-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, the highlight for me would definitely be BOC.

The rest is a bonus I guess. Shoot, I'd see this show for 10 clams.

You missed the Spree eh. I really like that CD but I'm gonna pretend that last track doesn't exist. Anyway, Polyphonic Spree has been getting some bad press around these parts lately. Apparently, some were not impressed by their stage presence, or their performance for that matter.

Darren

newtrix1
05-08-2004, 09:06 AM

Gin Blossoms

Blue Oyster Cult

arthritis might subdue some of BOC's jam sessions, and Paul Rogers voice may be hindered by the oxygen line. ;)
You're right tho, not bad for $10. Have fun and let us know who makes it thru their performance.

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2004, 01:10 PM
It's funny that you mention The Gin Blossoms. I have two of their CDs and was listening to them earlier this week after not hearing them for years. I like them and was wondering to myself why I don't listen to them more. I think it's the too much music, too little time syndrome. I thought that the Blossoms had fallen into the "where are they now" category. Nice to see that they're still around.

We saw Paul Rodgers and Bad Company a few years back. We weren't quite sure what to expect but they were excellent. Rodgers has really cleaned up his act. He was looking pretty buff and sounding great. So, is this Paul Rodgers without Bad Company? I'm curious to know how the band is and what they play.

The Polyphonice Spree opened for Bowie when we saw him last month. We got to the show late and missed them. From talking the folks sitting around us, we were the lucky ones. Bad reviews, all around.

I'm looking forward to your reviews.

tentoze
05-08-2004, 07:52 PM

Gin Blossoms

Blue Oyster Cult

Although the Gin Blossums had some pretty good stuff what, 10 years ago?, I'm not looking for them to knock my socks off. Seen Bad Company and although they certainly did some of the better mid seventies rock, their show wasn;t something to write home about. Can't see the Paul Rodgers current incarnation having more life 29 years later. That leaves Blue Oyster Cult. My money's on them. Always had a fond place in my heart for them, although I've only owned (and since gave to my son) one Lp by them. Any predictions?
$10, can't pass this up.

Tonights lineup is Tanya Tucker, Blues Traveller, and The Polyphonic Spree. Would have LOVED to have seen the Spree, just couldn't pull it off.
Hope it turns out better than it sounds at first reading. Buck Dharma and BOC may still be fun in a party setting. The others would make me sit at home with the stereo up loud.

Dusty Chalk
05-08-2004, 09:22 PM
...having seen Blue Öyster Cult recently (like, within the last couple of years, with the current line-up), I already know that they're going to be the winners. They may not be the arena rock that they were in the 70's, but they still know how to jam.

dld
05-08-2004, 10:45 PM
I write this totally faced at 1:34AM CDST.

Before the review of the concert, I have to give the "SET UP". OK, the group forms up at the Nasties' very humble abode at about 5:00pm. The lineup, Mr. and Mrs. Nasty, Mr. and Mrs. Squabling couple, and Ms. Horny Divorcee. My pitcher of margaritas, which contains 18 oz. of Tequilla and Triple Sec, along with equal amount of margarita mixer and an ounce or two of lime juice, is gone in fifiteen minutes! The crowd must be thirsty thinketh I. So another pitcher is partakeneth of. Then off to the Wildflower Fest.

After parking and a short walk later, we are at the grounds. The paper said music began at 7:00PM. And it only listed the three groups I mentioned. So we go to the main stage, and theres this local heavy metal band. Pee UUUUU!!

Drinking buddy (1/2 of squabbling couple) and I go off insearch of beer. And girl watching. We watched a lot of girls . Got a program and found out that:

a) B.O.C. starts at 8:45. Its 7 right now.

b) Gin Blossoms are at 10:00PM

c) Paul Rodgers is at 10:45 (different stage)

So we got, like 1.5 hours to kill. Go rescue the girls from local heavymetalsheetybandshow. How pissed are the women? Even horny divorcee has a few unkind words to say. So we leave and catch a couple of acoustic acts on other stages, and guess what, they kill!! 3 or 4 beers later. Dianna Jones has Emmylou Harris vocal range, dioes a few songs acapella even. Albert and Gage, a bro/sis or husband/wife duo, seamlessly integrate French 1940's coffeshop folk with Americana. Dude gets a couple of solid mid song ovations during his guitar solos.

I thought B.O.C. would rule but man, and I say this without any animous or preconceived opinions, they practically blew! 45 minutes, with two good songs. Best was I'm Burnin'. Godzillla, seemed like a Parody of Stonehenge. So over the top bad that it was good. Rest was rather ponderous, as if they were going thru the motions. Huge crowd tho. We were at least 80 yards away. Left before the almost certain encore of .. Don't Fear The Reaper to get good seats (30 feet from the stage, stage right) at the Gin Blossoms show on another stage.

To put it simply, the Gin Blossoms were FOOKING AWESOME!!!!

I do not have the musical vocabulary to accuarately describe how good this show was. Heres a crappy attempt,

They did a scintillating set composed mostly of songs, expertly and precisely played, from New Miserable Experience. We were on our feet, even squabbling couple, the whole show. The lead singer had enormous stage presence and worked the crowd big time. Guitar playing was terrifc with short, hot, jangly, solos inserted here and there. By the end of the show, the crowd was simply euphoric, They performed a killer encore, finishing with Til I Hear It From You. These guys may currently reside in the "where are they now" file, but damn, a better show I haven't seen in awhile. Up to Sonny Landreth standards at the Jazzfest last week. You would have thought these guys were auditioning for work they played so hard. Lead singer had extended body surfs into the crowd while the band wailed. It was crunching, grungy, alt. powerpop/rock for 75 non stop minutes. Not a single let up, not a minute of downtime.

Obviously we missed Paul Rodgers. He was at the other end of the grounds and we would have, at best, caught only a song or two, as the Blossoms went well past their scheduled quitting time.

I could go on, but I think I've said enuf. Thats the review. (rewritten this morning with some hyperbole omitted)
\
Ciao baby!!

Dave_G
05-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Post of the year thus far!

Dave