What's at the top of YOUR wishlist? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's at the top of YOUR wishlist?

Davey
05-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Been a while since we last checked what everyone has the itchies for....so what's at the top of your list?

I've been wanting to check out that new Mission of Burma SACD, OnOffOn. But I'm also interested in that Les Savy Fav singles collection that Sloshy keeps plugging. I only have the Rome EP from them. And I listened to some of that Ambulance Ltd full length a few weeks ago and liked it quite a bit. And the new Honeydogs <i>10,000 Years</i> is now widely available and is supposed to be a very good pop/rock epic - kind of a modern day concept album that is meeting with some high acclaim. Lots of others that people have been talking about around here too, but I'll say right now, today, the one at the top of my list is the new one by The Places, Call It Sleep. I really liked the last one by Amy Annelle and her friends and already listened to the two songs available for download a few times, so this should be a good one for me too. Kind of mellow and gentle like Low, with lots of space and subtle dynamics. But now I'm thinking, maybe I have enough music like that already. They do get cranking pretty good at the end of 'Til The Death, though. I guess the real question is, which do I want more, the latest by an artist I already know pretty well, or one that I don't know? Hmmmm.....what about you? Maybe I'll go with the Honeydogs.....

<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
http://hushrecords.com/discs/callitsleep.htm
<font size=-1>Amy Annelle is a gifted songwriter and performer: daringly original, unaffected and affecting, but all the while answering to some ancient, spooky muse. And on her latest, Call It Sleep, she has reunited with The Places to create a devastating, gorgeous wreck of an album. The ensemble is made up of Annelle's musical allies who also play in The Thermals, Death Cab for Cutie, Last of the Juanitas, Maplewood, 31 Knots, Grails, E*Rock, Swords Project and the Decemberists. In this group of Northwest eccentrics, alchemy picks up where chemistry usually leaves off. The Places prove the perfect translators on Annelle's latest songwriting trip: down murky tunnels lit with escape and addiction, rootlessness, betrayal, and empathy for the enemy.

Annelle’s two solo albums, and her first with The Places (The Autopilot Knows You Best), won universal praise for their deceptive gentleness and familiarity that gave way to darker, starker truths. And though the last Places album might have been called hopeful, Call It Sleep finds the group truly haunted, exploring deeper palettes of improvisation, psychedelia and found sounds. The album is a homegrown affair, recorded at Portland’s own Type Foundry (M. Ward, Little Wings, Decemberists) and mixed by Larry Crane (Quasi, Elliot Smith, Sleater-Kinney) at Jackpot Recording.

Call It Sleep employs a jazz-inspired lineup (upright bass and violin, vibrophone, piano, brushed drums and trumpet), but The Places are too weird to stick to one musical genre. Instead they wander wide-eyed through 60’s folk-rock, futuristic murder ballads and intuitively shifting time signatures. The arrangements elaborate on Annelle’s dusky narratives, while allowing her silky, almost in-your-head vocals to deliver the fatal blows. An extra treat is an interpretation of The Dreamies 1973 underground gem “Program Ten” that breathes with despair and alienation, and perhaps a distant beacon of hope.

Fans of the dark and lucid songwriting of Black Heart Procession, Cat Power or Dirty Three will surely feel right at home here. What unfolds in the course of Call It Sleep is akin to Big Star’s Third/Sister Lovers or Nick Drake’s Bryter Later: a beautifully battered, subtly detailed map of the dark side.</font>

tentoze
05-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Been a while since we last checked what everyone has the itchies for....so what's at the top of your list?

There are two that I've been wanting to get my hands on for 2 weeks now, and my local indiehipsterelitistsnob music store has thus far let me down: Devendra Banhart's Rejoicing In The Hands, and Born Heller, S/T. Gonna check again at lunch today, and if they still ain't available, I'll be forced into the old Internet buy.

Davey
05-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Devendra Banhart's Rejoicing In The Hands
Have you heard anything by him yet? It's also on my wishlist but I can't remember where it came from and it doesn't look like I have any MP3s in my folder either so I'm not sure about it. Did you get the itchies from a Pitchfork review? I'll have to find a sample or two....the description is kinda warbly Will Oldham or Iron and Wine type music, right?

tentoze
05-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Have you heard anything by him yet? It's also on my wishlist but I can't remember where it came from and it doesn't look like I have any MP3s in my folder either so I'm not sure about it. Did you get the itchies from a Pitchfork review? I'll have to find a sample or two....the description is kinda warbly Will Oldham or Iron and Wine type music, right?
Can't remember- might have been pitchfork. I heard a couple of cuts from his debut a few months ago- raw recordings, very short tunes- like 2 minutes or less. Trippy folk sounds (see another current fav, Espers ;) ). If I can't get the new one today, I'm gonna buy the debut cd, cuz I know they have it in stock.

et

Slosh
05-07-2004, 09:39 AM
What I really want is a beautiful, sexually adventerous, smart, funny, financially independent, young woman who knows exactly when to STFU ;) And who has friends like her.......oh, and thinks LSF is the best post-punk band ever!

But if I have to settle for music:

McLusky - The Difference Between You And Me Is I'm Not The One Who's On Fire

and new albums from:

Clinic
BtS
The Decemberists
Travis Morrison

NP: Spoon - A Series Of Sneaks

jasn
05-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm still trying to recover from a very impulsive and sustained buying binge from a month or two ago (thanks to you guys!), so my wallet list hasn't been out much. However, if I were passing by a Newbury Comics today, I'd probably be tempted by Frank Jordan's Milk the Thrills and Raising the Fawn's The North Sea.

Can anybody comment on these?

Whooptee
05-07-2004, 10:00 AM
I still need to get that Eszter Balint disc. And I really want the new one from the New Year, The End is Near, when it comes out. There about a dozen others I want including the Deathray Davies and Caitlin Cary, but I don't see any of them coming my way any time soon, so I'll just keep on listening to all of the great comps I've gotten from my buds here on RR.

John

nobody
05-07-2004, 10:12 AM
I'd like to pick up the new Mum, if it's out yet...should be anytime if not. A few things I'm waiting on. I'd also like to grab the new Blonde Redhead. Then, there's a bunch of stuff I usually look around for that's older and I've just never gotten a copy. Always wanted a vinyl copy of KLF's Chill Out. There's a couple Husker Du recordes I passed by and would like to grab.

Need to beef up my jazz collection as well. Don't have any Horace Silver, there's a couple Coltrane albums I want. Tons here I'd like to pick up.

I may pick up this compliation I've seen at a record store around here called This Is Rockabilly Clash! All rockabilly covers of Clash songs...may be a fun listen as I love both rockabilly and the Clash.

Then, there's always the stuff that I just stumble across when record hunting, so I rarely end up getting what I figured I'd buy upon walking into the place.

Is the new McLusky out yet?

Stone
05-07-2004, 10:37 AM
And I really want the new one from the New Year, The End is Near, when it comes out.

I'm really looking forward to this too. Do you know the release date on it?

Is the new McLusky out yet?

May 18 I believe.

Slosh
05-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Decahedron - Disconnection Imminent, which in effect appears to be a new Frodus album. Good, I need some more stuff that rawks :)

Slosh
05-07-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm really looking forward to this too. Do you know the release date on it?

May 8th. if all goes according to plan

Swish
05-07-2004, 11:53 AM
TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

and

The Bad Plus - Give

Not much on my wish list since I've been so busy, but I really need to get
Iron and Wire - Our Endless Numbered Days based on what I've read about it, but hearing is believing.

Swish Baby

Dusty Chalk
05-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh, you mean, music related?

Lacrimosa - Inferno
Collide - Vortex
Curve - The Way of Curve
Skinny Puppy - The Greater Wrong of the Right
Múm - Summer Make Good (I've already heard it though -- ha-ha, doesn't suck to have friends in record stores, neh?)
All the older Lali Puna disks -- I really like Faking the Books

-Jar-
05-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't know why heavy, pummeling noisy rawk has been so satisfying to my brain recently. I can't get enough of the Dillinger Escape Plan's CALCULATING INFINITY.

Others I want

Cave-In UNTIL YOUR HEART STOPS before they turned into Failure Jr.
Burnt By the Sun THE PERFECT IS THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD one of their song titles: "Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom" great title and it totally rawks..

other stuff.. I still need that Sun Kil Moon cd. And the last Red House Painters album OLD RAMON. My wishlist is so backlogged it's really hard to weed through it. Seems like every day I find out about an OLD album I want, not to mention all the new releases and reissues.

*yawn* it's beena long day.. 11 hours here this desk. I gotta get outta here.

-jar

Stone
05-07-2004, 02:25 PM
May 8th. if all goes according to plan

Where did it say May 8?

Looks like the actual release date is May 18 according to The New Year's site (http://www.thenewyear.net/theendisnear.html).

The LP is pressed on virgin vinyl and comes with an 8-page booklet.

chrisnz
05-07-2004, 04:22 PM
The last couple of speculative orders I've made have been for these :-

Sweet Trip - Velocity:Design:Comfort
Freescha - What's Come Inside You

Stuff I'd like to explore but don't have the funds for...

Schematic Records
Bogdan Raczynski
Matt Elliott

Slosh
05-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Where did it say May 8?

Looks like the actual release date is May 18 according to The New Year's site (http://www.thenewyear.net/theendisnear.html).

The LP is pressed on virgin vinyl and comes with an 8-page booklet.

From the most recent Insound catalog on a Touch And Go ad. Must have been a typo.

Doesn't matter 'cause Inches should be your next purchase anyway :)

Uncle Gimpy
05-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Oh, you mean, music related?

Lacrimosa - Inferno
Collide - Vortex
Curve - The Way of Curve
Skinny Puppy - The Greater Wrong of the Right
Múm - Summer Make Good (I've already heard it though -- ha-ha, doesn't suck to have friends in record stores, neh?)
All the older Lali Puna disks -- I really like Faking the Books

You must have many of the lady friends with your unique sense of humor you have been gifted with.I wish i could spend saturday nights watching TV Land like you surrounded by your many female admirers.You lucky man.
Uncle Gimpy

mad rhetorik
05-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Been wanting to beef up my metal section a bit.

Agalloch: <b>Mantle</b>
Candiria: <b>300 Percent Density</b>
Converge: <b>Jane Doe</b>
In Flames: <b>Clayman</b>
Death: <b>Individual Thought Patterns</b>
Mastodon: <b>Remission</b>

Can't wait for Dillinger Escape Plan's new disc to come out too. Other albums I've been looking to get:

The Roots: <b>Things Fall Apart</b>
Boogie Down Productions: <b>By All Means Necessary</b>
Madvillian: <b>Madvillainy</b>
Eric B & Rakim: <b>Paid In Full</b>
Bob Dylan: <b>Bootleg Series 1966</b>
The Pogues: <b>If I Should Fall From The Grace Of God</b>
McClusky: <b>Do Dallas</b>
Wes Montgomery: <b>The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of..</b>
Miles Davis: <b>Milestones</b>
John Coltrane: <b>Crescent</b>
Thelonious Monk: <b>Brilliant Corners</b> and <b>w. Coltrane</b>

etc. etc. etc....

Davey
05-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Doesn't matter 'cause Inches should be your next purchase anyway :)
Hey Sloshy, just ordered up that one this morning along with a couple others. Probably take a month before I see them since it was from deepdiscountcd.com, but it's usually pretty hard to beat their delivered price for current stuff....

Inches - Les Savy Fav $12.97
Call It Sleep - The Places $11.97
10,000 Years - The Honeydogs $11.97

Shipping: FREE
Your Total: $ 36.91

Slosh
05-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey Sloshy, just ordered up that one this morning along with a couple others. Probably take a month before I see them since it was from deepdiscountcd.com, but it's usually pretty hard to beat their delivered price for current stuff....

Inches - Les Savy Fav $12.97
Call It Sleep - The Places $11.97
10,000 Years - The Honeydogs $11.97

Shipping: FREE
Your Total: $ 36.91

Yeah, Insound was kinda pricey. $17.98 with shipping but still that's not too bad considering it's 70 minutes of top shelf stuff (except for Reformat (Dramatic Reading), which is kind of a mini radio play) plus a DVD. But I wanted it right away (got it in three days).

NP: The Cansecos