Friday's Favorite? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Favorite?

nobody
05-07-2004, 06:17 AM
I liked the recent pick a disc Friday threads, so I'll start one this week.

My choice is...

Bob Dylan: Nashville Skyline
A country-rock-folk masterpiece, highlighted by Lay Lady Lay and a duet with Johnny Cash. This has got to be about the best actually singing on any Dylan record I know of. Typically strong songs from Bob, even featuring an instrumental, Nashville Rag, tossed in for good measure. A nice laid-back vibe to the whole thing. Listened to it all the way through twice last night.

audiobill
05-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Hey, nobody. Thanks for getting things started. I, too, like this week'send thread.

My pick has to be "Blue Horse" by The Be Good Tanyas. It has such beutiful melodies and some of the most angelic voices this side of the United States/Canada border.

In fact, their release would fit in rather nicely with your Friday pick of Dylan's "Nashville Skyline".

Cheers,
audiobill

tentoze
05-07-2004, 06:44 AM
I liked the recent pick a disc Friday threads, so I'll start one this week.

My choice is...

Bob Dylan: Nashville Skyline
A country-rock-folk masterpiece, highlighted by Lay Lady Lay and a duet with Johnny Cash. This has got to be about the best actually singing on any Dylan record I know of. Typically strong songs from Bob, even featuring an instrumental, Nashville Rag, tossed in for good measure. A nice laid-back vibe to the whole thing. Listened to it all the way through twice last night.
Gotta go with Espers, S/T- psych-folk extraordinaire. Some angelic voices on this one also. And tone generators for JC.

:p

Davey
05-07-2004, 07:09 AM
That new Lali Puna CD, Faking the Books, would have to be the one for me. Listened to it a whole bunch of times and it just keeps getting better and better. More disinformation in the Tuesday thread and also in the separate Lali Puna thread.

Yeah, always loved that reinterpretation of Girl From the North Country with Johnny Cash on Nashvile Skyline. The original Columbia vinyl sounds pretty incredible on that track. Huge soundstage that goes deep as the night. Both their voices are huge too, unrealistic of course, but that's OK. One of those images you can almost walk around in and look at all the sounds, kind of like an out-of-body experience. Big time hi-fi fun :)

Dusty Chalk
05-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, it would be Lali Puna -- that one is definitely a grower, somewhere between Notwist and Múm -- except for the Flextone reissue from Rather Interesting... -- totally digging this! And the packaging is stupendous -- it's a mock-up of the old Philips Silver Line series, or something like that. I forgot how much I loved Atom Heart back at his electro topmost zenith.

Jim Clark
05-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Chalk up another one for Lali Puna and a thanks to Davey for bringing it up and also to DC for giving it a nod, albeit, indirectly at the time.

Also been spending a fair amount of time with CRRV9. Seems I enjoy a higher % of toons than is normal for me on a group comp. On the way home from work even the Handsome Family track held a bit of appeal for the first time.

jc

Dusty Chalk
05-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Yes, it was a bit of a half-assed nod, wasn't it?