The lifespan of CDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The lifespan of CDs

Stone
05-07-2004, 06:01 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/06/disc.rot.ap/index.html

He went through his collection and found that 15 percent to 20 percent of the [2000] discs, most of which were produced in the '80s, were "rotted" to some extent.

Great, one more thing to worry about.

jasn
05-07-2004, 06:09 AM
This has been running around the web all week, and I gotta say, I think its just another example of good ol' USA newshysteria.

Tell me Stone, you've gotta have a couple of CDs too, especially from the same timeframe. How many of yours are rotted? None of mine are...

Troy
05-07-2004, 06:39 AM
I have a couple. But it was reported at the time that some manufacturers were making the CDs incorrectly.

I agree, more paranoid hysteria.

Stone
05-07-2004, 06:44 AM
Tell me Stone, you've gotta have a couple of CDs too, especially from the same timeframe. How many of yours are rotted? None of mine are...

Well, certainly none are rotted to the point of it being visible when I pull the CD out of the case. However, I haven't held any of them up to the light to see if there are any holes in the aluminum. I'm really anal about taking care of my CDs, so I'd be pissed if some of them start "rotting."

Jim Clark
05-07-2004, 12:47 PM
This story was carried the the KC paper yesterday and the day before. Got me thinking but really I only have one CD that has trouble and it's caused trouble since the day I bought it. Billy Idol, and not one of the good ones so i don't sweat it. Looking at the pic of the guy it wouldn't really surprise me if many of them had been treated a little worse than he was willing to own up to. Something to think about, but only for a little.

jc