ONKYO A/V Tuner/Amplifier TX-SV414PRO [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ONKYO A/V Tuner/Amplifier TX-SV414PRO

infiniti029
05-06-2004, 07:43 AM
I was thinking of buying something similar to this, except for around 30$ from someone. I'm a HT beginner, and was wondering whether or not this was worth it. Would this be any good if hooked up to something like a pair of Polk R15s (mostly just for music/movies)? I'm only planning on using 2 speakers until I can get some more money. It seems pretty old, I don't know much about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=39797

Onkyo Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Receiver
Stereo Mode:
Front L/R channels:
60 Watts per channel min. RMS. at 8ohms, both channels driven from 20Hz to 20,000Hz Continuous Power output: 2x90 watts 4ohms OR 2x70 watts 8ohms

Surround Mode:
Front L/R & center channels: 50 watts per channel min. RMS at 8ohms.
Rear channels: 15 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms.

JSE
05-06-2004, 08:30 AM
I was thinking of buying something similar to this, except for around 30$ from someone. I'm a HT beginner, and was wondering whether or not this was worth it. Would this be any good if hooked up to something like a pair of Polk R15s (mostly just for music/movies)? I'm only planning on using 2 speakers until I can get some more money. It seems pretty old, I don't know much about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=39797

Onkyo Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Receiver
Stereo Mode:
Front L/R channels:
60 Watts per channel min. RMS. at 8ohms, both channels driven from 20Hz to 20,000Hz Continuous Power output: 2x90 watts 4ohms OR 2x70 watts 8ohms

Surround Mode:
Front L/R & center channels: 50 watts per channel min. RMS at 8ohms.
Rear channels: 15 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms.

I think you should pass on this one and spend a little more money on a newer A/V receiver that has DTS, Dolby Digital, etc.

Why? Well, I just retired an older Onkyo receiver, think it was a 909 Pro, that had Dolby Pro-Logic when I bought a new Yamaha RX-V1400. The sound difference was amazing when used in DTS, PLII, EX, etc. These newer sound formats are far far superior to Doby Pro-Logic. I really think it's a night and day difference. I will never go back. With today's DVDs, the standard Pro-logic just can't keep up.

Look at new receiver's from companies like Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, H/K and others. The lower lines from these companies can be had for about $300 or so. Maybe a little less. They are quite capable and offer most of the latest sound formats.

I am not saying the Onkyo your looking at is bad receiver at all. Onkyo is a great brand. That particular model is just outdated.

Hope this helps.

JSE

infiniti029
05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
thanks for the reply. i think i'll be buying it since you can't really go wrong with a reciever for 30$.

chris1
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
this is my first time on your site-thanks for having me.i couldnt figure out how to post a new message,so hopefully someone will reply to me.heres my dillema.i need to purchase a home theatre system.i have now been schooled on the "white van".please help me on this.there are MATRIX 505T,AND MATRIX 605T systems on ebay,new in the box.Is matrix something i want,or is it crap.please reply fast.sorry for ignorance,and thanks in advance for all your help.-chris