First DVD player recs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First DVD player recs

Mark
05-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Looking for a first DVD player....no I didn't just crawl out from under a rock.....

Primary interest is that this be for movies, don't care so much about music capability, although may be used rarely for CDs. Intention is to have a digital audio connection to the receiver for coversion.

Currently have a regular CRT TV, but thinking of getting a front projector in the next year or two.

Budget wise, would say less than $150 is better, but don't feel compelled to spend this if I don't have to.

So we have had a recent discussion about a $60 Toshiba. Lots of positive talk about the Pioneer 563, but the SACD or DVD-A is less important to me. Also seen single disc players from Yamaha and other higher tier makers (partial to Yamaha, myself) in the $120-$150 range.

Why might I want one of these at $150 rather than the $60 Toshiba? Will durability be twice as good? Seems my current setup might not allow me to see small differences in picture quality. Difference in audio management shouldn't be an issue if I use my receiver DAC, but how about for CD playback?

Thanks for the thoughts.

mark

paul_pci
05-05-2004, 11:08 AM
I think JVC makes a quality player in your price range. Plus, some of their models have a cool blue light when you turn it on.