Paradigm Center? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Center?

DV8mad
05-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Been looking to replace my lowly Sony center for quite some time now and atfer reading all kinds of reviews I think I'm leaning toward the Paradigm CC-370 center channel. Seems like most everyone feels it's a great deal for the money. Only one catch... I can't seem to find anywhere online where I can buy them and I don't know of any place nearby that sells them. Even my trusty Google let me down. :(

Can anyone suggest a site please?

newbsterv2
05-05-2004, 05:37 AM
I have owned the CC-370 for 2 years now and it hasn't let me down. It's very clear for the on screen dialog it was designed for. If you go to www.paradigm.com and then click on "dealers" and put your zip code in you should be able to find a dealer near you. Unless of course you're in the middle of nowhere or something :)

Been looking to replace my lowly Sony center for quite some time now and atfer reading all kinds of reviews I think I'm leaning toward the Paradigm CC-370 center channel. Seems like most everyone feels it's a great deal for the money. Only one catch... I can't seem to find anywhere online where I can buy them and I don't know of any place nearby that sells them. Even my trusty Google let me down. :(

Can anyone suggest a site please?

N. Abstentia
05-05-2004, 06:39 AM
You won't find Paradigm online, they sell through audio shops only. They don't think you should buy a speaker sight unseen/unheard and I agree. But like newb said, go to their site to find your nearest dealer. If you have other Paradigm speakers it's worth the drive. If not, give Axiom a look since they sell online. The CC370 is great by itself, but it's the whole package that's important.

Woochifer
05-05-2004, 11:26 AM
First off, what main speakers are you using? It doesn't matter how good the reviews for that Paradigm center speaker are, if it does not voice match properly with your mains, then it's the wrong speaker for your system, period. The most important consideration with center speakers is to make sure that the voice characteristics for the front three speakers are reasonably well matched. Even if a center speaker is better than the mains, if it has dramatically tonal characteristics, then it will disrupt the continuity of the front soundfield and call attention to itself.

Ideally you would use three identical speakers up front. The horizontal center speaker is around only because in most rooms, the TV sits exactly where the middle speaker would ideally go. Because of the horizontal alignment, the voice characteristics of a center speaker will never be an exact match, so it's up to you to identify the best match for your mains.

As others have said, Paradigms are not sold via mail order, and if you buy from an unauthorized mail order source then the warranty is invalid.

DV8mad
05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm using Wharfedale fronts and a Sony center right now. I'm trying to find a better/more powerful center because right now the fronts over power the center unless I turn the center db levels up and the front db levels down but then both sound like crap.

I looked at the Paradigm website and it seems the places nearest me are all out of state so I'll have to consider a little road trip or maybe look into something else around town that I can actually hear.

Woochifer
05-05-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm using Wharfedale fronts and a Sony center right now. I'm trying to find a better/more powerful center because right now the fronts over power the center unless I turn the center db levels up and the front db levels down but then both sound like crap.

I looked at the Paradigm website and it seems the places nearest me are all out of state so I'll have to consider a little road trip or maybe look into something else around town that I can actually hear.

In your case, you should be better off just going without a center speaker until you can find something that voice matches the Wharfedales adequately. Because of how much of a movie soundtrack gets routed through the center channel, you should not go with a less than adequate center speaker just to have one.

Have you tried contacting Wharfedale to see what models they would recommend to match with your mains? That would be the best place to start.