More used tunes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More used tunes

DPM
05-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Last Saturday, I spent another afternoon hitting the used CD bins. I ended the day with the following:

1) Grand Funk/Grand Funk (red album) $6.00--This is the band's second release. The music isn't bad. Still, they were a few albums away from delivering real songs versus the bluesy jams put forth on this disk. At this point, Grand Funk were great performers lacking solid material. My score: 6

2) Todd Rundgren/Liars $6.00--According to Mojo magazine, Todd is God again. I don't know about that, but he does sound rejuvinated. The material is easily his best since Barely Human, and his voice hasn't sounded this good since the early eighties. My score: 7 (This may go up with repeated listenings.)

3) Beck/Sea Change (SACD) $8.00--This is my first Beck disk. I was standing in the aisle with this and Ryan Adams' Gold in each hand. Both were SACD's priced at 8 bucks. Decisions. Decisions. In the end I went with Beck because I already had Ryan Adams's Rock and Roll on CD. It's OK. I haven't listened to Sea Change yet.

4) Thomas Dolby/The Golden Age Of Wireless (US version) $5.00.--I used to own the UK version of this on vinyl. I love the tunes Europa And The Pirate Twins, Flying North, Wind Power, Radio Silence, and Cloudburst On Shingle Street.

5) Bob Dylan/Love And Theft (SACD) $8.00--My first Dylan disk. I haven't played it yet.

DM

Jim Clark
05-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Used is my preferred method buying. Trouble is that a lot of the stuff I want didn't sell in the first place making used a rare commodity especially here in KC where it's not really known as a happening place.

I was surprised to see that you were able to grab some used SACDs, that's pretty cool. Do you have a player or just using the CD layer for now? I'm considering getting a player but I need to wait for a semi-serious multi player that's affordable ie. under 300 bones.

jc

newtrix1
05-05-2004, 08:42 AM
especially here in KC where it's not really known as a happening place.

jc

Hey, you got that BBQ thing goin' for ya. ;)

DPM
05-06-2004, 10:29 PM
[. Do you have a player or just using the CD layer for now? I'm considering getting a player but I need to wait for a semi-serious multi player that's affordable ie. under 300 bones.
jc[/QUOTE]

I do have an SACD player. I also have a DVD player that plays both DVD audio and SACD surround. The stereo SACD player sounds better though. It should. I spent huge bucks on it.

If I were you I would save up $ and splurge on a more expensive player. The improved parts quality and sturdier construction will pay dividends both sonically and aesthetically. If you don't already have a DVD player, invest in a universal machine that will handle all of the formats. Denon makes some good ones.

Dave M