Car Woofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Car Woofers

Silent Warrior
05-04-2004, 09:13 PM
srry for not making topic in car audio...but i didnt want to register there...cause it takes time and i cant wait for answer

i was watching car program on TV and i saw these hi tech woofers i wanted to know bout...these woofers' rear part coming back and forth giving thrust to air in woofer....by rear part i mean the narrow end of the woofer...it was chrome shine and was giving AMAZING air amount i guess...moving like mechanical part....was moving and worked like pump

does anyone know which company/companies have such woofers and what model they are?

Weister42
05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
i was watching car program on TV and i saw these hi tech woofers i wanted to know bout...these woofers' rear part coming back and forth giving thrust to air in woofer....by rear part i mean the narrow end of the woofer...it was chrome shine and was giving AMAZING air amount i guess...moving like mechanical part....was moving and worked like pump
does anyone know which company/companies have such woofers and what model they are?

You sure you wasn't seeing a subwoofer installed inverted with the magnets sticking out? Also a lot of today's subwoofers, particularly Audiobanh, chromes their speakers to look nice. If you weren't talking about any of these then I have two more possibility for ya:

A long time ago I've seen an article on a car audio magazine about a subwoofer with two cones, both are attached to one very large diameter voice coil and vented in the middle of the woofer(where the dustcap used to be). The cones are back to back, so this way it gives twice as much air movement with a sealed box and keep the SQ of a sealed system(the big hole in the middle of the sub acts like a port for the back cone). They say this design is supposed to come out in a few years, but I haven't seen anything close to it.

The other high-tech subwoofer is from Adire Audio, here's the link http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/

Also Resonant Engineering(RE) has a prototype of a subwoofer with at least 8" of CLEAN excursion...WOWWWWWW I believe it is called xmx

Silent Warrior
05-08-2004, 12:00 AM
i dont know bout the RE...i went to their site and i think they really have great products....but i'm not sure bout other link...may be that's the thing...what is that called if not woofer?...do they cover that moving part? cause the ones i saw, they were open and you could see that moving back and forth...can you give links of companies that has such products i'm talkin about?...thanx for giving infos though

This Guy
05-08-2004, 10:36 AM
You simply saw a subwoofer mounted inverted like what was said previously. They'res nothing special about it, you can do that with any woofer. Did it look something like this? http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/Catalog%20Page.asp?Product+%23=alum12q

Audiobahn isn't a great woofer company performance wise, they take style over performance. They have decent excursion it probably did look like it was moving a lot, but they don't usually sound very good.

-Joey

pwh03
05-08-2004, 09:13 PM
hah good old audibahn yea I agree no one loves chrome like audiobahn must have been them

Silent Warrior
05-11-2004, 04:04 PM
nah dude...it wasnt like this at all...i dont know how to tell you how the things was...its rear part was thinner and had this chrome ring on it which was moving back and forth...and in other this whole thing was moving back and forth if i'm not wrong...damn i'm dyin to know bout it

Weister42
05-11-2004, 04:34 PM
hum....you happen to remember where you saw this thing?

Silent Warrior
05-12-2004, 10:31 AM
i saw it in tv...there was some program about audio and video of car...they started with muscle car radios in that era and then they talked bout todays technology and they showed these thumping things saying technology has improved a lot and stuff but they didnt give name nor took close video of them

but i guess it was the thing in link Weister42 has given....which company has such products in market? rear thing moving back and forth !!!

Silent Warrior
05-25-2004, 07:31 PM
i also found its vibrator...it thumps air and vibrates area around...and that's why its better than normal subs and speaker collection

N. Abstentia
05-26-2004, 04:10 AM
How can something that just vibrates your trunk sound better than a speaker?

Silent Warrior
05-26-2004, 03:50 PM
i have no idea...but it looked sweet...and i guess it's some kind of woofer

damn...its been month i'm tryin to find about that thing and i still dont know waht is that called

N. Abstentia
05-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Like most car audio gimmicks, it's probably run it's course.