Xbox or SACD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Xbox or SACD player

cvc
11-27-2003, 02:34 PM
so should i buy an Xbox or SACD player this Christmas?..does the SACD sound really blow away 2 channel?..i'm using a Yamaha dsp-a1 int. amp with Monitor Audio speakers all around..the only reason i haven't gotten the Xbox is i'm worried about future addiction..lol..it will be hooked up to a 50" big screen..but i do enjoy great audio..my 2 channel always brings a smile to my face..thanks to Monitor Audio for that..(silver series 9i)..what do i do?..thanks guys!

Woochifer
12-01-2003, 05:28 PM
The great thing about DVD-A and SACD are the multichannel mixes. If done right, they add a lot to the listening experience. But, if you're limited to two-channel, the difference that you hear will really depend on how well the original CD transfer was done. A lot of early CD transfers were not done correctly, and never got corrected. SACD remastering gives the opportunity to get the transfer done right. If the CD transfer was well done, then the difference with SACD might be a lot more subtle than obvious.

The choice really comes down to how much you anticipate wanting to play the games available on Xbox. Although the game selection's gotten a lot better in the last year, Xbox won't get the new Grand Theft Auto game until it's been on the PS2 for a while, and you can only play Madden football online using the PS2. And for my casual gaming, those are deal breakers with Xbox.