Sub Freq Xover Setting on AVR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Freq Xover Setting on AVR

rob7
05-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Hard to get question across in title box.

I was hoping to get some info on the xover settings on my AVR. I have a Sony DA5ES receiver with Monitor Audio Silver S8s, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, a small Klipsch center, and some old Bose 301s for surround. I was playing with the crossover freq on the receiver and sub. On the receiver, I can set the xover for the fronts, the center, the surround, and the LFE separately. My question is- can the freqs be set different from each other? Or do they all have to be the same? I have everything set at 50 or 60. The sub is set the same at 50 or 60. I put the center at 90 because of its size. Does that help or hurt the setup? Will the xover be at the same freq for all or do the individual settings work? Would I set my sub xover freq different if I have different settings on the AVR?

I hope that was not confusing. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Woochifer
05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Hard to get question across in title box.

I was hoping to get some info on the xover settings on my AVR. I have a Sony DA5ES receiver with Monitor Audio Silver S8s, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, a small Klipsch center, and some old Bose 301s for surround. I was playing with the crossover freq on the receiver and sub. On the receiver, I can set the xover for the fronts, the center, the surround, and the LFE separately. My question is- can the freqs be set different from each other? Or do they all have to be the same? I have everything set at 50 or 60. The sub is set the same at 50 or 60. I put the center at 90 because of its size. Does that help or hurt the setup? Will the xover be at the same freq for all or do the individual settings work? Would I set my sub xover freq different if I have different settings on the AVR?

I hope that was not confusing. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Well, that's a feature I'm not at all familiar with. In general, you should set the crossover as low your speaker can comfortably handle or as low as it goes without the bass response getting uneven. I think going with 60 for your mains is a good spot, but you should try something like 80 for the center and surrounds. (I used to use the 301s as surrounds, and they have a bit of a bump in the midbass and it's probably better to take that out) Basically, you want the crossover low enough so that the subwoofer doesn't handle anything directional or close to the midrange (a lot of inexpensive HTIB systems don't come with true subwoofers because the crossovers on those systems are set closer to 200 Hz, which is very directional and well into the midrange).

One note though, if your receiver is handling the bass management for all of the channels, then the crossover frequency on your subwoofer should be turned as high as possible or bypassed altogether if you can. The crossover on the subwoofer is there only if you use the subwoofer also outputs a crossed over signal to a pair of speakers or to a preamp/processor. With your receiver, I doubt you'll have it setup this way, so just bypass the subwoofer crossover.

rob7
05-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I understand it all. To make it clear, I can set the Xover settings (AVR) at different freqs and the AVR will crossover each speaker (set) at those freqs separately. That will make a smooth blend for all speakers. (I had the xover on the sub turned off-I guess I was just turning the knob because it was there. Always learning.)

Thanks again for the info. If I'm misunderstanding it, please let me know.

Otherwise, another step in the right direction.