Technical help needed please. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Technical help needed please.

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2004, 04:53 AM
How do I download and listen to MP3 files?

The two programs on my computer are Windows Media Player and Winamp. Neither seem to work right. Or maybe, I need a different program. I was trying to listen to a sample yesterday that was a .ram file. I couldn't get it to download. After perusing the Windows help files, I discovered that Media Player doesn't support this type of file. So, what program does?

Can someone help me? What program should I be using? Are there certain settings that I need to adjust?

I've never been interested in file sharing so it's never really been a big problem for me. But now I find myself wanting to listen to samples of bands before ordering CDs and I can't get the samples to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave_G
05-04-2004, 05:00 AM
I dunno.

I bet Davey or some of the other computer doods will know though.

Good luck.

Dave

Stone
05-04-2004, 05:04 AM
How do I download and listen to MP3 files?

The two programs on my computer are Windows Media Player and Winamp. Neither seem to work right. Or maybe, I need a different program. I was trying to listen to a sample yesterday that was a .ram file. I couldn't get it to download. After perusing the Windows help files, I discovered that Media Player doesn't support this type of file. So, what program does?

Can someone help me? What program should I be using? Are there certain settings that I need to adjust?

I've never been interested in file sharing so it's never really been a big problem for me. But now I find myself wanting to listen to samples of bands before ordering CDs and I can't get the samples to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure what a .ram file is exactly, but I bet it's some Real Audio file, in which case you're going to need Real Audio player. I'm not real tech savvy either, but Real Audio mostly streams the stuff, so you can't transfer the music to a CD-R, etc. (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong). This is the kind of stuff you'll find on Amazon and those places. I think you can download a Real Audio player for free, although they'll try to get you to pay for an upgrade.

Winamp will play mp3s and .wav files, and possibly others too. It's what I prefer using, but Media Player is relatively user friendly so I use that too, although I don't do much computer listening. If you have an mp3 or .wav file, either one of these programs should work.

DarrenH
05-04-2004, 07:36 AM
That's right, a .ram file is for Real Audio. And I wouldn't recommend downloading Real Audio either. It hooks your system pretty deep and is a bugger to get rid of. Lots of privacy issues with Real Audio as well. Only download this if you absolutely need it. I don't think Winamp will play .ram files but I could be wrong.

When downloading mp3 files, right click on the file in question (it's download link) and choose "save target as". Another window will pop up asking you to save this file 'as what' and to choose a destination folder. Rename the file as you see fit but make sure to include the .mp3 extension. Then choose your destination folder. It would help to have a "music" folder already created before you do any of this.

Once the download finishes, locate the file in windows explorer and double click it. Winamp should play it. Make sure Winamp is setup as your default player in Winamp's preferences and while you're at it add that newly created folder to Winamp's playlist. Keeps you from having to go into Explorer every time you want to play some mp3's.

Hope this helps FA.

Darren

Ex Lion Tamer
05-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Too bad about that hockey team of yours. Two games. No goals. Tough to win in the playoffs with offence like that. Who'd a thunk that the Wings would be upset in the second round and Joseph would be regarded as perhaps their best player in the series. I guess you'll be loking for offence in the off-season, huh? Just keep your grubby hands off of Kovalev! ;)

Hey, would that new signature be a quote from "The Taking of Pelham 123"?

DarrenH
05-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Too bad about that hockey team of yours. Two games. No goals. Tough to win in the playoffs with offence like that. Who'd a thunk that the Wings would be upset in the second round and Joseph would be regarded as perhaps their best player in the series. I guess you'll be loking for offence in the off-season, huh? Just keep your grubby hands off of Kovalev! ;)

Hey, would that new signature be a quote from "The Taking of Pelham 123"?

I'm a little disappointed in the Wings. Doesn't matter how good your defense is if ya can't score goals you're not gonna win. But I give credit to Calgary. They played with a lot more heart, speed and enthusiasm. They deserved it.

Cujo, much to my surprise, played his arse off in that series. He just lacked offensive support.

Detroit has several players that are unrestricted free agents now. I suspect some wheelin' and dealin' to occur. You may even see a head coach change. And I doubt Yzerman will return. He's bound for the front office.

I'll give ya clue regarding my sig. Think Tull. More specifically, it's a line from a song on Aqualung.

Darren

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2004, 02:27 PM
You guys were a big help!

I set Winamp as my default and MP3s now work perfectly.

You were right about the .ram file being from Amazon. I was trying to hear a sample of Franz Ferdinand, but I wasn't able to change the file to any other format. I've had Real Audio on my computer before and the only way that I was able to get rid of all of its nasty components was when I reformatted my hard-drive. I'm not about to reinstall it again. I'll live without the samples. I'm sure that it'll end up on someone's comp eventually. ;)