new saving private ryan dvd question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new saving private ryan dvd question

agtpunx40
05-03-2004, 04:38 PM
anybody know what this has that the previous edition doesn't? I assume it's just another featurette or something, but I can't really find anything about it. just curious
oh, and anybody know if the new godfather release is a re-remastered dvd or are they just releasing it by itself again.

Woochifer
05-03-2004, 05:44 PM
I read that Saving Private Ryan's getting a lot of new supplements, but the video will basically be the same as before (not sure if it even includes the DTS track). The release is in conjunction with the D-Day anniversary.

The Godfather is a remaster. Supposedly, it will be a new transfer that preserves more of the original look of the film. The NY Times did a writeup on this a few months ago about the controversy in Hollywood about how much digital cleanup should be done with older films, and the studios' practice of constant re-releasing and remastering DVDs. I forgot what deficiencies this new transfer of the Godfather is supposed to fix. It's strange though that the Godfather would get this remastering treatment given that Coppola's American Zoetrope did the original transfer for the Godfather boxed set (and have gotten very good press for the quality of their DVD transfers in general). I read that this new release is Paramount's doing with no involvement from Coppola. There are no extras on the disc, aside from the same commentary that was included with the boxed set.