FA's Mystery Disc [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FA's Mystery Disc

Troy
05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Sounds like the band's name is not a bands name, but the singer's name as he seems really forward in the mix.

I hear a lot of OK Computer or Bends era Radiohead in here, from the minor key chord progressions to the way this guy sings. He's a much better technical singer than Tom Yorke, but he's awfully precious and melodramatic. This artist lacks the energy and angst that makes Radiohead interesting.

It also reminds me of Tim Buckley in the pace and overall tone of the album. It's way too slow for me in general. Too many weepy ballads. A few songs build to louder verse repeats, but I think that's the intesity level they should have started at and built from there. Tracks 3 and 10 rock, but they are far to simple and repetitive for my taste. I was just kinda bored by the time it was finished, both times I spun it. (at 54 minutes, it's 15 minutes too long)

I think it has lots of commercial appeal. It feels like one of those new artists they try and foist upon classic rock radio listeners.

I have no idea who this is, but I'll wait to find out 'til everyone else spins it.

Thanks for sending it.

DarrenH
05-04-2004, 12:43 PM
I agree with Troy in that the lead singer sounds an awful like Tom Yorke and the music tries really hard to be like OK Computer or The Bends era Radiohead but it falls way short of that. Was the creator of this music intentionally trying to do this? I have no idea but it sure seems as though he/they may have been directly influenced by them. I haven't a clue who this artist or band might be.

I also like track 10. It's the best track on the disc imo. As a whole, I thought this disc was okay. Not one track made reach for the skip button but I'm afraid the only memorable track here was #10. If I saw this in the store I would most likely pass it up.

Thanks for sharing FA.

Looking forward to finding out who this is.

Jim Clark
05-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Well I just got it and have only heard it once so any comments are based on limited input. Still, I have to agree with Troy that it's too mellow throughout much of the disc. When they get the blood pumping I'm much more enthusiastic about the toons. My immediate faves would be track 3, 6, 8, and 10. In my personal opinion, all of these are compable and probably will be since I enjoyed them all so much but I have a gut feeling that the mellower toons will never do it for me.

I'm far from a Radiohead fan so those comparisions may or may not be true. The closest I've heard would be Starsailor probably because both are pretty much in the Brit-pop category.

I really liked the toons that I liked and just wish they got a testosterone injection (OK, that doesn't sound right but you know what I mean). These guys need to rock a bit harder and they'll be in good shape in my book.

Thanks for the disc and I look forward to playing it again.

jc

Finch Platte
05-06-2004, 05:29 AM
...this fellow is from the band D P, and the name of the band is P A, the same name as a city in California (maybe they spell it as one word, and that's why it starts with a 'P', as FA claims).

I'm not impressed with this disc. There is nothing to grab me- there's really nothing to listen to except the singer. As Troy mentioned, he's mixed so he stands out- front and center. He (the singer, not Troy) kinda whines- a petulant vocal version of a Jon Lovitz character on SNL.

The drums don't stand out, the guitars meld into the background, sort of a cushiony cloud for the vocals to meander over. No hooks for me to chew on.

I'll bet they light candles while onstage, and use big oriental rugs all over the place. The singer's eyes will be closed a lot. Backstage before the gig, they will form a circle and vow to spy on each other and poke-check someone if they look like they're falling asleep while "performing."

Sorry, but it doesn't ring my chimes. Thanks for sending it along, tho.

fp

nobody
05-06-2004, 06:34 AM
I'm in the middle on this one. It didn't really grab me, but it was nice enough. It sounds a lot like Coldplay to me, and I do like them a bit. So, I could see it growing on me. My wife's a big Coldplay fan, so I'm sure she'll like it. I'll just tell her it's the new Coldplay before I play it for her.

Thanks for the disc.

Dave_G
05-06-2004, 07:02 AM
I didn't get the cd but I bet it's Ted Nugent singing in falsetto.

Dave