Component space in W/U [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component space in W/U

Hoptoit
05-03-2004, 01:52 PM
I finally registered after reading dozens of useful posts. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful as well someday. In the meantime, I could some more advice!
I'm beginning a long overdue complete system upgrade to coincide with a move. To do this right, I am re-building a wall unit that I designed and built many years ago.
My question is: How much vertical space do you suggest for components only? 36"? 48"?
If you were designing you ideal w/u how much space would you allow for? (allowing only for all amps, tuners, dvd, cd, tape, vcr, etc,etc. - not TV or disk storage) Think upgrades and add-ons for later as well.
All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

topspeed
05-03-2004, 02:22 PM
I finally registered after reading dozens of useful posts. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful as well someday. In the meantime, I could some more advice!
I'm beginning a long overdue complete system upgrade to coincide with a move. To do this right, I am re-building a wall unit that I designed and built many years ago.
My question is: How much vertical space do you suggest for components only? 36"? 48"?
If you were designing you ideal w/u how much space would you allow for? (allowing only for all amps, tuners, dvd, cd, tape, vcr, etc,etc. - not TV or disk storage) Think upgrades and add-ons for later as well.
All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

I built a custom unit for my gear as well and unfortunately didn't account for all of the toys. When combining a two channel with HT, you end up with a lot more stuff than ever imagined! Seriously, you've got your ht pre/pro, 2 channel passive pre, amp for the mains, amp for the rest, cd, dvd, tape, vcr, stb, game system, power conditioner(s), WHEW! If you are rebuilding anyway, I'd make the thing as big as I could get away before your better half starts threatening your very existence. My next rack will also be on roller tracks so I can pull the rack out and turn it to access the back panels. I saw this in a mag and it very slick. Don't forget about cooling while your at it. All of that gear is such close proximity will make a nice space heater if you're not careful.

Good luck

uncooked
05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
i was planning on building a media centre a few months ago, but i decided to wait until next year until i finish getting everything i may need.

a really cool thing to do which i have seen and i am going to do is, buy like 4 - 5 computer fans "1 - 2 bucks at a swap meet". and wire them into a computer heat thing. thoughs montors that go into the front of a computer where the cd drives are. you build one of thoughs in and hook sensors up to your different equipment and set the heats where the fans come on and it blows it all out the back, this way you can have a thight fit on the front and just leave some room above and mount the fans and blow the heat out the back.

it looks awsome to, lcd with temperatures and chrome toggle switches to turn certain ones off and what not. just something you may want to look into. :)

Woochifer
05-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Whatever you do, just make sure that you can adjust the shelving at some point (components generally fit within a 24" width, but the height can vary quite a bit and odd sized components can limit how many components will fit within the unit), and that the positioning doesn't force you to put the speakers inside the wall unit. A hollow resonant cavity like that could ruin the sound of whatever speakers you use. The audio rack that I use consists of two modular 40" units stacked together, and you can see in the pic that close to 3/4 of it is dedicated to components. The turntable (because of the dust cover) and the receiver (for ventilation) need the most vertical clearance.

The 40" lower unit has my receiver, tape deck, DVD player, VCR, CD changer, satellite receiver, and subwoofer equalizer. The upper unit has a storage drawer, Playstation, turntable, and LPs.

If cooling's a concern and you intend to install a door of some kind, you could try using some kind of a metal mesh screen and matted glass. The door on the lower audio rack is actually a mesh screen. It hides the components, but still allows air flow and the remotes work through the screen.

http://hometown.aol.com/sfwooch/images/theater10.jpg