Japanese Anime [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Anime

hmmmm
05-03-2004, 06:22 AM
I hope I spelled that right. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Japanese Anime movies. I've only seen a few but am hooked. I've always liked DragonBall etc... even though my wife thinks I'm nuts. I watched "Spirited Away" and found it very interesting as well as a few others (can't remember the names) These can get pretty violent! Kind of like Kill Bill- loved that also.
Any suggestions?

Worf101
05-03-2004, 06:56 AM
I hope I spelled that right. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Japanese Anime movies. I've only seen a few but am hooked. I've always liked DragonBall etc... even though my wife thinks I'm nuts. I watched "Spirited Away" and found it very interesting as well as a few others (can't remember the names) These can get pretty violent! Kind of like Kill Bill- loved that also.
Any suggestions?

Here's my short list of fave Anime I've watched over the years.

1. "Spirited Away" - You seen it so you've seen the best.

2. "Ghost in a Shell" - Future androids, violent, some nudity

3. "Akira" - Hard core anime (not sexual). Very dark, very disturbing and you really have to follow it from start to finish and you STILL might not understand it.

4. "Metropolis" - Classic Anime in the "Astroboy" vein. Loosely based on the classic silent film of the same name.

There's 4 to draw to. Let us know what you think of them afterwards.

Da Worfster :D

Troy
05-03-2004, 07:02 AM
"Ghost in the Shell" and "Akira" are classics in the genre. Must see movies.

I really dug "Metropolis" and "Royal Space Force" too.

"Laputa (City in the Sky)" has this great steam age futuristic look and was done by the same guy that made Spirited Away. Also check out his "Princess Mononoke". Lush and juicy, but slightly incomprehensible movies.

r3Wind
05-03-2004, 01:24 PM
There's a gorgeous Korean animated movie called "Wonderful Days," great combination of 2D & 3D graphics. You can check out the trailer for it here:

http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/

Mysterio
05-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Check out Cowboy Bebop. It's my fave. The series is good, but if you don't want to watch all 6 discs, you could rent the movie.

The movie is another storyline within the same timeframe as the series, so you're not spoiling/missing anything. The series will help introduce you to the characters, however. Great animation, stories, color, characters, action.

I also really liked Vampire Hunter D, which is sort of futuristic goth. The same director (sorry, don't know) was responsible for one of the episodes of the Animatrix (which is also highly recommended if you haven't seen!). The original Vampire Hunter is also good, though a bit dated ('85), and a different style.

Another series that I initially liked a lot, but then didn't finish was ".hack/sign". I don't know if I'm typing it right. It's about a virtual world like Evercrack. Beautiful color, animation, and not insipid story (which is my biggest problem with MOST anime).

hmmmm
05-06-2004, 06:34 AM
I just ordered Studio Ghibli's 7 Disk Anime collection which has a couple of the movies mentioned. It also has "My Nieghbor Totoro" which my 5 year old absolutely loves (of course the wife hates it). It was listed for $119.00 but reduced to under $40.00. I'll rent some of the other movies soon. Probably Cowboy Bebop first because it's at my local Blockbuster. Most of the movies mentioned are not. I rented "Princes Mononoke" but the DVD was so messed up I missed half of it. It looked pretty awesome- I'll get to see it on the 7 disk collection. Thanks for the info!

GrendelZ
05-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Ninja Scroll-BadAss, maybe the best one ever

Akira-ditto

Fist of the North Star-get the movie not the series

TriGun-pretty good series

Ghost in the Shell-Very good

the Animatrix-very cool shorts by different artist

Final Fantasy-you'll forget its animated

Vampire Hunter D-classic

Ranma 1/2 big trouble in little nekonron China-comedic but still good

Street Fighter Alpha-once again get the movie,especially if you playyed the game.

Just a fffew of my favorites to get you started.

05-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Chobits ^_^

however, its not an action anime...so you might not like it
I sure loved it though

hmmmm
05-14-2004, 09:05 AM

"Laputa (City in the Sky)" has this great steam age futuristic look and was done by the same guy that made Spirited Away. Also check out his "Princess Mononoke". Lush and juicy, but slightly incomprehensible movies.

I just watched Prince Mononoke and absolutely loved it. I'm glad I own it so I can watch it again. I'll probably watch Laputa next because it came in the box set. My daughter and I have watched "My Neighbor Totoro" 3 times this week. She's 5 and always cries at the end because "I'm so Happy". I think I have an emotional one on my hands...
The problem with this one is that "Totoro" song that I can't get out of my head. It's driving me nuts!

Dusty Chalk
06-11-2004, 09:58 PM

"Laputa (City in the Sky)" has this great steam age futuristic look and was done by the same guy that made Spirited Away. Also check out his "Princess Mononoke". Lush and juicy, but slightly incomprehensible movies.These were going to be almost exactly my recommendations, except that I haven't seen Royal Space Farce. I guess I better put that at the top of my list.

filecat13
06-24-2004, 02:44 PM
I'll echo the recommendation for My Neighbor Totoro. It's really entertaining for all ages. The entire Studio Ghibli collection (mentioned above) is a worthwhile purchase. I got mine off eBay for less than $20. In addition to some of the recommendations above, I enjoy Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind.

hmmmm
06-25-2004, 09:11 AM
O.K. I watched "Laputa Caste in the Sky" and thought It was beautiful. It didn't have me on the edge of my seat but it definately kept me interested throughout the entire movie. Now, Cowboy Bebop didn't do much for me at all for some reason. I found it kind of slow and didn't like the ending very much. "Ghost in the Shell" was pretty cool though. I've watched Final Fantasy about 5 times because of the animation and sound are amazing but that was well before I started this post.
Does anyone know of a good website that sells original cels or paintings from JAPANESE anime?
Thanks!

filecat13
06-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Well, I can't say if this qualifies as a good site or not, but I do know there's lots of anime stuff on eBay. As always, buyer beware!

filecat13
06-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Every time I see it I get completely lost to the distinction of live action film vs. animation. It's very convincing.

trollgirl
06-27-2004, 07:23 PM
..."Grave of the Fireflies". It's strong stuff, very serious, not for the kiddies. My daughter and I both cried at the ending. A must see.

Laz

filecat13
06-28-2004, 08:03 AM
..."Grave of the Fireflies". It's strong stuff, very serious, not for the kiddies. My daughter and I both cried at the ending. A must see.

Laz

This one made me so depressed and almost physically sick that I hesitate to mention it to anyone. The whole thing was sad and ambiguous on many, many fronts, yet had one central theme: war kills kids.

I'm probably like a lot of people who like a good fantasy war but are appalled by the real thing. Even though this is anime, I know it's about a real war and that the action depicts the gross unfairness and impersonal, arbitrary punishment dealt to the most hapless of victims: children. If they don't die in the fighting and bombing, they're likely to be collateral damage later on.

kexodusc
06-28-2004, 10:17 AM
What about the legendary series that started it all in North America? The Robotech/Macross stuff has been enjoying a solid revival. A little hokey at times, still, better than most crap on TV these days.

"Akira" and "Fist of the North Star" were favs of mine too.

hmmmm
07-02-2004, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=GrendelZ]Ninja Scroll-BadAss, maybe the best one ever

I finally watched Ninja Scroll. Now we're talking! I might have to buy that one. Are there any follow ups to this movie? I didn't even look to see when it came out.
Thanks for the great recommendation.

Dusty Chalk
07-04-2004, 11:06 PM
I have to second the two Vampire Hunter D movies.

And Troy - is Royal Space Force the same as Wings Of Honneamise? I think I have that on LD...I should watch it some time...

dean_martin
07-15-2004, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=GrendelZ]Ninja Scroll-BadAss, maybe the best one ever

I finally watched Ninja Scroll. Now we're talking! I might have to buy that one. Are there any follow ups to this movie? I didn't even look to see when it came out.
Thanks for the great recommendation.

Ninja Scroll - This film kicks butt! I got the 10th Anniversary Edition for my birthday and was sitting on the edge of my seat thru most of it. Great action. Go to www.manga.com for more info on this title including an interview with the director who's working on a follow-up feature film.

Cowboy Bebop - I've never watched an episode of the series, but I enjoyed the movie.

I haven't made it through Akira and Ghost in the Shell yet. Unfortunately, most of my private viewing time is late at night and I haven't made it very far into these 2. I understand there is some controversy over the Pioneer version of Akira, particularly with the English soundtrack and I can see where some of the complaints are justified. I don't know whether there is a "definitive" version of Akira on dvd.

Now for the stuff that kind of surprised me - the family oriented Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. The spiritual content of these films seems "fresh" from my limited Western perspective.

So far, I believe Ninja Scroll presents the most straightforward storyline. Akira bogs down (although to be fair I haven't made it all the way through yet) and "Princess" struggles with trying to straddle the fence between nature and industry, but I wonder if it's my Western sensibilities getting in the way. Anyway, this is an interesting foray into a new genre and the info provided here has made it easy to dive in. Also, Showtime Beyond is airing Blood: The Last Vampire and one of the Armitage films. Check www.sho.com for listings.

eisforelectronic
07-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Original Bubblegum Crisis series, Megazone 23, and Battle Angel