Ascend, Axiom, or Used m&k? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ascend, Axiom, or Used m&k?

twwesn
05-02-2004, 08:25 PM
After reading numerous reviews on this website and Ecoustics.com I have narrowed my search for a new HT system to the following (prices listed).

Ascend - $808
Fronts: CBM-170
Center: CBM-340C
Rears: HT-200

Axiom - $930
Fronts: M22ti
Center: VP100
Rears: QS4

Used M&K - $1000
Fronts and Center: 750 THX
Rears: 550's

I plan on purchasing a Velodyne CHT-12 to go with whatever system I choose. I have a 3 year old Onkyo receiver so the speakers should be fairly easy to drive (a concern with the M&K). I have an inexpensive pair of bipole surround speakers (Wharfedale WH-2) right now so I could save a little and not get the rears immediately. So which system should I get and should I use my existing rears or bite the bullet and get the matching rears for whichever system you choose.

N. Abstentia
05-03-2004, 03:49 AM
I'm not familiar with Ascend, but given the choice between Axiom and M&K I would definitely go Axiom. Of course that's just my opinion, I've just never liked the 'ting and sizzle' of M&K. Okay for movies, but very sterile for music.

Rhino
05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
I love my Ascends, which are three years old now, and I found the company to be terrific to work with. They answered all my questions, calmed all my fears of ordering online, and were honest in their assessments of what the speakers will and will not do. I also considered buying the Axioms, but went with the Ascends because I normally find speakers with metal drivers lack warmth and fullness. That said, the Axioms get great reviews, lots of people love them, and I've never listened to them so I have no idea whether I would like them or not. With either the Ascends or the Axioms you've got the option to send 'em back in 30 days for a full refund, so you're not out much if you decide you want to try something else.