Number 9...number 9...number 9.. (PPG CRS review) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Number 9...number 9...number 9.. (PPG CRS review)

PPG
05-02-2004, 04:05 PM
A track-by-track rundown. Bold-faced artist names indicate the tracks I like well enough that I would probably check out more of their work (some definitely).

1. Tiny Volcano - a nice comp opener, very power-poppy.

2. Riddle of Steel - an instant ear-grabber for me. Why doesn't radio play more stuff like this and less of the crap they do play?

3. American Analog Set - interesting indie-esque track but never kicks in the way I hoped it would. Really good recording job on it, though.

4. Mae - nice little jazzy guitar riff/acoustic-based singer/songwriter that does kick in nicely at 2:27. A melody that could get in your head and hang around a while.

5. Wrens- 80's-esque vocals with a driving bass, tight band.

6. Electrelane - dark female vocals, not my cup o'joe.

7. + / - The vocalist in this band sometimes reminds me of Joe Jackson. Good stuff going on here.

8. Spiritualized - Hard-ass rockin' band with a busy mix here. I can imagine these guys would just put on a killer live show in a small smoke-filled club.

9. Tantric - Have I been reading some negative comments about this track? I don't get that - this is a very good cover, IMO. Updating the Fleetwood Mac track with some real fire while doing justice to the original Buckingham-Nicks vocals.

10. Chain - excellent prog metal. Sometimes I'll get the gist of a track and hit the next-track button but I wanted to hear all of this one.

11. RPWL - I love tracks that have those mysterious-sounding astronaut-in-space sound bites. But, aside from that, this is some good sh*t! I'll definitely be checking this band out.

12. Sun Kil Moon - Zebra-like acoustic guitars in an almost New Agey instrumental. I like it.

13. Handsome Family - oddball track here that would fit well in a David Lynch film. Sonically, it's superb.

14. Damien Rice - Acoustic-based singer/songwriter type with a moody composition. This doesn't knock me over too much after one listen but it might be a grower.

15. Twilight Babies - back on track after a couple of slow-downs in the track line-up, one of the best tracks on this comp. Another one to check out further, definitely.

16. Julian Coryell - another acoustic singer/songwriter with an excellent composition. I heard influences of Elliott Smith, Lennon/McCartney but the guy is no mere imitator - you hear some influences but he doesn't try to sound like anyone but himself. A great CRS closing track.

JDaniel, you did a helluva good job with this comp, the sequencing is terrific, the music the most consistently solid I've heard in a single collection in a long time. Without a doubt my favorite of the CRS series and puts to shame your typical mag samplers.

JDaniel
05-03-2004, 03:22 AM
A track-by-track rundown. Bold-faced artist names indicate the tracks I like well enough that I would probably check out more of their work (some definitely).

JDaniel, you did a helluva good job with this comp, the sequencing is terrific, the music the most consistently solid I've heard in a single collection in a long time. Without a doubt my favorite of the CRS series and puts to shame your typical mag samplers.
Rick - nice thorough review. It's cool to read what one person enjoys, and how the next person can't stand a song (Tantric for ex.). But that's what makes this melting pot called RR such a great place. It would be pretty boring if we all sat around and talked about nothing but Lucinda Williams (ok, it would get boring after a week or two - I love Lucinda).

Thanks for participating.

JD