Moving Coil Cartridge in the $300-400 Range? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moving Coil Cartridge in the $300-400 Range?

joeychitwood
05-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I have an NAD 533 (Rega Planar 2) turntable with an RB250 tonearm, an Origin Live Counterweight modification kit, the Iron Audio acrylic platter and a stock Goldring Elektra MM cartridge.

Am I better off sticking with MM in the $300-400 range, or can you suggest a good MC cartridge compatible with my tonearm? I've looked at the Goldring 1042 and the Clearaudio Aurum Alpha MK II MM cartridges so far.

hifitommy
05-02-2004, 06:25 PM
the atOC9, denon 103d, clearaudio aurum beta (from juki), ortofons in the price range. there is also a new atML150.

joeychitwood
05-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I bought the Clearaudio Aurum Beta MK II (wood) MM cartridge. I haven't received it yet, but I am anxious to hear it.

hifitommy
05-10-2004, 05:19 PM
good choice. i would have suggested that but you asked for MCs. the clearaudio is a mm and has been well received and compared in rez to mc.

i hope you have a great time with it.

joeychitwood
05-11-2004, 03:34 AM
I saw that Stereophile gave the Clearaudio Aurum Beta a Class B rating, and that's when I decided to stick with MM.

benil
06-03-2004, 02:30 PM
I saw that Stereophile gave the Clearaudio Aurum Beta a Class B rating, and that's when I decided to stick with MM.

you may want to try dynavector 10x5mkII for the same money as the aurum beta. tnt-audio.com has a nice review of its predecessor the 10x4. it a high output MC so you don't need a step-up transformer

cheers!

BRANDONH
09-07-2004, 08:13 AM
I just read this post and don’t know if you decided on a cartridge but I recently purchased the Shure V15VXMR audiophile phonograph cartridge and I am simply amazed at its ability to reproduce music. I bought it online here:
http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=V15VXMR%20D18200&source=nx
for the best price I found anywhere the cartridge retails for $400.00.

jbangelfish
09-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Brandon, your findings with the Shure V15 are the same as everyone elses. It's a great cartridge and maybe the best choice for anyone who is not set up for low output cartridges. High output MC doesn't seem to be liked by anyone.
Joeychitwood, you would almost surely love the Shure V15. I had a V15III back in the 70's and even on a cheap Pioneer PL12, ($80 new in 75), I too was amazed at the detail that this cartridge pulled from vinyl.
I get even more detail from LO MC but it was a fairly expensive road to follow and I have not tried the new V15's. Sometime I will, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I consider the cartridge to be the most important component of vinyl playback and in many cases, the most overlooked. After all, it is what contacts the LP and produces the signal. Bad signal, bad sound. There is no real cheap way to do it but alittle over $200 ain't bad. Add to this a decent arm, decent tt and reasonably good phono stage, preamp, amp, speakers and one can enjoy the amazing things that vinyl can do. Hmmmm.....add that all up and it ain't cheap, is it? The good thing is, you don't really have to spend a fortune to enjoy it. Just don't expect a $39 cartridge and a plastic turntable to turn you on to vinyl or off to cd. I've always spent as much or more for my cartridge as for my turntable and have never regretted it. My LO MC that I use now is still the most valuable piece in my analog system and I have no regrets. If all the components in my system were still being made, which they are not, the only thing that would cost more than my cartridge is my speakers. My amps and preamp each would be around the cost of the cartridge. Just one old vinyl nut's way of looking at it.
Bill

donald1959
10-10-2004, 08:24 PM
I have an NAD 533 (Rega Planar 2) turntable with an RB250 tonearm, an Origin Live Counterweight modification kit, the Iron Audio acrylic platter and a stock Goldring Elektra MM cartridge.

Am I better off sticking with MM in the $300-400 range, or can you suggest a good MC cartridge compatible with my tonearm? I've looked at the Goldring 1042 and the Clearaudio Aurum Alpha MK II MM cartridges so far.

Response:

Stereophile commented that Rega arms benefit from the added rigidity of using Rega cartridges, although I have never heard one. Originally I had a Sumiko Blue Point Special, a truly fantastic moving coil cartridge for $350. Personally I love the Benz-Micro moving coil even better, and have upgraded to the Glider in my RB300. The Benz has excellent trackability, fantastic frequency response and awesome seperation.

Benz offers MC's in your price range, and I can only say that since I moved from an MM to an MC I will never go back. A high output will not require a stand alone phono stage, although you would be amazed what variable gain and loading will do for your signal to noize ratio and overall sound.

stereowizard59@yahoo.com