Macromedia Flash 7 trying to install? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Flash 7 trying to install?

Jim Clark
11-27-2003, 08:47 AM
I keep getting a "install Macromedia's Flash 7" prompt as I navigate around this site. It says it needs to be installed for this site, which it clearly doesn't as far as I can tell. Am I the only one getting this message? I only ask since my PC has not been on it's best behaviour recently. I got this bizarre email recently and although I didn't open it odd things have been happening. Mcaffee virus scan detects nothing out of the ordinary though.

jc

Davey.
11-27-2003, 08:52 AM
I keep getting a "install Macromedia's Flash 7" prompt as I navigate around this site. It says it needs to be installed for this site, which it clearly doesn't as far as I can tell. Am I the only one getting this message? I only ask since my PC has not been on it's best behaviour recently. I got this bizarre email recently and although I didn't open it odd things have been happening. Mcaffee virus scan detects nothing out of the ordinary though.

jc
Some of the banner ads at the top are flash ads, although it will run the non-flash version if it doesn't detect it. Just go ahead and say yes. I just run with my security set to high when I'm here so they don't load or run because the flash version of that Best Buy ad is pretty annoying.

Finch Platte
11-27-2003, 09:03 AM
From the SF Chronicle and David Einstein's column.

I just followed the directions in the last paragraph, and it works!

Q: I keep getting Windows Messenger Service alerts on my home PC (the operating system is Windows XP). The problem is that the alerts are really just popup advertisements. What gives? And more importantly, how can I stop this barrage of unwanted ads?

A: Microsoft says it conceived the Windows Messenger Service so that system administrators could notify users about their network. It didn't take long, however, for spammers to turn it into a delivery mechanism for ads. (It also could be a conduit for viruses.) There are a couple of ways to deal with this. The latest version of Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall lets you block unwanted ads that sneak in via the Messenger Service. Go to www.microsoft.com and search for "windows xp service pack," then download and install Service Pack 1a.

Another option is to turn off the Messenger Service and be done with it. To do so, click Start, then click Control Panel (or point to Settings and choose Control Panel). Double-click Administrative Tools, double-click Services then double-click Messenger. In the Startup type list, select Disabled. Then click Stop, and finally click OK.

fp

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
In both Netscape and IE, I believe there's an option somewhere that says "auto-install of plug-in's", which I keep off. It's the only way to surf. Who knows what they're installing? The only way I know to undo all the plug-in's is to re-install Netscape (and I don't know how in IE), and that's a pain.

jack70
11-28-2003, 07:44 AM
First, in reply to FP's post... I still run Win-98SE, so I don't have to worry about XP problems. In EITHER case, you should routinely get MS updates so any potential security holes are fixed. As for XP's "built-in" firewall... it ONLY works with incoming packets... dump it and get Zonealarm (free).

As for Flash & stuff...

Flash is indeed used in many online ads & pop-ups. Trouble is, so is Java & JavaScript. If you simply "turn off" ALL 3 of those browser plug-ins/processes, you'll miss 40% of the content on the web (in one way or another). As for "saving time", it MIGHT with a dial-up, but you'll get your browser splashing "alerts" and junk at you all the time too.... so what annoys you more -- the ads or your PC telling you it can't properly display the pages code?

Flash has a (fairly) new (upgraded) plug-in (hence the prompt for the install of the update). I suggest you install it. (I also agree with Dusty that you edit your browser's preferences to always "prompt" for installs and such). Flash CAN be used to hack your computer, but very few hackers do that(or know how)... it's not an efficient tool for em... & there are too many easier ways for them to do what they do. As long as you run a firewall, you needn't worry about flash much at all (rather... there are a dozen FAR worse things to worry about first).

As for browser plug-in's/sub-routines, I think Quick-Time, Windows-Media, and PDF links are MUCH more a pain-in-the-as_, for a whole variety of reasons. For better or worse, Flash is probably the future of much of the web. It's a more sophisticated software, and although it has it's own liabilities, it also has a huge upside, especially for non-text-heavy (artistic) sites.

I have my own "issues" with flash content... one is that it's poorly used (over-kill) by web designers; but so is HTML & CSS (so what are you gonna do?). When used judiciously it's great, but I see only that once every 3-4 months... at best.

Davey.
11-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Flash is indeed used in many online ads & pop-ups. Trouble is, so is Java & JavaScript. If you simply "turn off" ALL 3 of those browser plug-ins/processes, you'll miss 40% of the content on the web (in one way or another). As for "saving time", it MIGHT with a dial-up, but you'll get your browser splashing "alerts" and junk at you all the time too.... so what annoys you more -- the ads or your PC telling you it can't properly display the pages code?
Good advice in general, but running XP and IE 6.0 I don't get any warnings at this site about my security settings when set to high and there's very little here that requires Java be enabled, at least nothing that I need. And the time savings on dialup are substantial since most of the ads don't need to be loaded and reloaded and reloaded. In fact, most of the time my screen is free of ads. Much nicer than having ads flashing all over the place. And two or three mouse clicks can restore security to a lower level so I always run with high security here. But it might not be for everyone since you won't be able to use the Clickable Smilies! :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/captureRR.jpg