Mission Volare,M78 vs. B & W 600 series 3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mission Volare,M78 vs. B & W 600 series 3

sidney
05-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi, I am new, any feeback on both speakers will be highly appreciated, room size about 27 sq.m. plus sub using velodyne cht 10.. :confused:

RGA
05-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi, I am new, any feeback on both speakers will be highly appreciated, room size about 27 sq.m. plus sub using velodyne cht 10.. :confused:

Which one do you like better? Both have good past records in this price range both get good reviews - but then so does everything - buy the one you like better. And do not buy based solely off a review - you must LISTEN to these speakers but frankly a lot of stuff that IMNSHO is utter crap get good reviews.

sidney
05-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks, I have narrowed down my choices to mission, either the volare or m780 series.. any feebacks from satisfied users welcomed, thanks in advance...

RGA
05-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks, I have narrowed down my choices to mission, either the volare or m780 series.. any feebacks from satisfied users welcomed, thanks in advance...

you could post your question on the Audioasylum forum -- more people go there because it's a much better forum. They may also have higher end alternatives --- not that you necessarily want or need them but hey they may know of something to try. Still Mission is a very good brand and other than the M50 line I can say I've liked most everything they've made over the last 15 years - and I can't say that about too many companies. Interestingly these two companies were my final contenders when I bought the B&W 302. TO me they were the best by quite a bit over the competition. I can't recall the Mission model now though. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/bbs.html

sidney
05-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks RGA, I appreciate the website you referred to me.. will pop my question there to be evaluated. Thanks a million!!!

RGA
05-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Does not seem like you're going to get a lot of replies because most are unfamiliar with Missions - even I'm out of touch with the new ones. However yesterday I went and listened to the $1100.00 Mission 61 CHY which I can only assume means cherry wood with a Roksan Integrated and cd player. I was unfamiliar with the disc being played.

I have to say I have reservations about my audition of it. I not long ago bought my AN K Spe ($1500.00CDN from $2kUS - now $2250US) for a serious discount obviously at Soundhounds in Victoria BC - I live about an hour and 10 minutes away. If this was someone making asking me the difference I would tell them to make the drive and spend the extra because the Mission I found woefully lacking.

It has the traditional Mission set-up with the tweeter below the woofer and an smooth sound - but holy crap it just had no giddy-up and sounded exremely restrained and overly polite. It reminded me of the very polite British sound a number of years ago but went a bit too far. I also had the Roksan amp pushed to near 12 o'clock and it just thinned out and was not loud -- dynamically weak though it remained under control for the most part. The disc was an acoustic guitar percussion and male vocalist(But it was a mix disc which had a female singer on a later track - presumably good recordings as it was the store disc) - and it may have been the disc - but for $1100.00Cdn the 602S3 for a few hundred less is IMO a much better speaker. Now granted this is based off one fairly short 10 minute audition - but some things are noticeable really quickly.

I kind of regret mentioning the whole thing because in a smaller room it might be quite good - but in a larger room forgettaboutit - and that is not true of all standmounts. I guess i just balk at the relatively high price of the speaker. Just make sure you give it a long listen and really focus on the bass and dynamics - if you feel they're up to the level of many floorstanders then go for it. The 780 series was fantastic - might be worth a listen if they're still being made.

Again it could of been a lousy disc or the room which was quite large - i tried listening fairly close up in the usual triangle position.