Richie Cordell died? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Richie Cordell died?

MindGoneHaywire
05-01-2004, 03:18 PM
This guy had a very interesting resume, so it surprises me that his death made absolutely no news until now--and now only in a UK publication. Of course, he didn't have anything to do with American Idol or Friends, so public interest is only going to be so high. He produced a Ramones album, too.

Richard Joel Rosenblatt (Ritchie Cordell), songwriter, producer and singer: born New York 10 March 1943; married Helaina Bruno; died New York 13 April 2004.

In November 1987, the American songwriter and producer Ritchie Cordell saw one of his compositions, "Mony Mony", top the US charts when it was covered by the British singer Billy Idol. The single replaced the teen sensation Tiffany's take on "I Think We're Alone Now", another of Cordell's perennial pop classics, which had been No 1 the previous week. Cordell was the first writer to accomplish this feat since John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

He also penned a succession of bubblegum hits in the late Sixties for the likes of Tommy James and the Shondells ("Mirage", "Getting Together"), Crazy Elephant ("Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' ") and the 1910 Fruitgum Company ("Indian Giver").

Cordell made his mark again in the early Eighties when he co-produced the crunchy US chart-topper "I Love Rock'n'Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/story.jsp?story=517008