clicking sounds on DTS audio but not Dolby Digital - Denon AVR 1708 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : clicking sounds on DTS audio but not Dolby Digital - Denon AVR 1708

Pickngrin
09-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi-

I just picked up a used Denon AVR-1708 very cheap at a nearby yard sale. The guy selling it told me that it worked perfectly and that he needed more inputs for his kids' video game consoles, etc. I took it with a grain of salt because it was cheap enough. This is replacing my 14 year old Onkyo TX-SR600.

I just bought the Genesis Live 1973-2007 box set, excited to listen to some of the new 5.1 mixes. I heard some clicking in the front left channel. I checked the connections at the receiver, etc. I finally realized that the clicking does not occur if I toggle to Dolby Digital. This occurs on more than one of the DVDs. I am hoping that some sage, experienced home theater enthusiast will have some idea of what is going on. Is this a defect in the receiver, a setting issue, or ... ?

Also, I am noticing an intermittent flicker on the TV while listening to said 5.1 mixes from the DVDs. Could this be a bad cable, or ...? I haven't yet watched any DVDs to know if it occurs then also.

I otherwise really enjoying this receiver. HDMI inputs... I've entered the 21st century.

Thanks for any input.

PnG

Mr Peabody
09-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Hi, and welcome to AR.

Unfortunately I haven't heard of that. I'm not sure if DTS & DD is decoded in the same chip, I'd doubt it if this just happens with DTS. If the receiver is able to connect to the internet, I'd connect it and look in the menu to see if you can upgrade the firmware, there could be a fix if this is a known issue.

People, even hear, argue with me there's no difference in HDMI, but I had an issue when I first bought my Marantz processor, when I upgraded to a "quality" HDMI all was good. So if you can pick one up with a return or borrow something, it's worth a try. I would think something by Bluejeans would be a good upgrade without killing the bank, I used Tributaries.

You might also try another HDMI input to see if the same problem occurs. If none of this helps try shooting an email to Denon.

topspeed
09-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Make sure the output on your dvd player is set to bitstream. Also check the input on the OSD of the Denon and make sure it's set to Auto or DTS. BTW, don't forget that in order to hear DTS, the source has to be encoded with it. Just because it has Dolby coding does not mean it has DTS. A quick Google of the Genesis DVD didn't mention DTS coding when I checked.

Hope that helps.

Pickngrin
09-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Make sure the output on your dvd player is set to bitstream. Also check the input on the OSD of the Denon and make sure it's set to Auto or DTS. BTW, don't forget that in order to hear DTS, the source has to be encoded with it. Just because it has Dolby coding does not mean it has DTS. A quick Google of the Genesis DVD didn't mention DTS coding when I checked.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the input. I checked, and my DVD player is set to bitstream output, and the input on the Denon is set to auto. The Genesis DVDs prominently feature the DTS logo and the main menu allows one to choose either DD or DTS. I am finding this puzzling.

I've ordered some new HDMI cables.

Pickngrin
09-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Another data point-
I put on some other DVDs with DTS audio and did not hear that clicking. Is it plausible that there is some quirky compatibility issue between those Genesis discs and my receiver?

topspeed
09-29-2016, 08:46 AM
Anything is possible! I've never heard of that issue, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Usually, if something is incompatible, it simply won't play at all. You've got me stumped, sorry.

Rock73
06-12-2017, 11:11 PM
People, even hear, argue with me there's no difference in HDMI, but I had an issue when I first bought my Marantz processor, when I upgraded to a "quality" HDMI all was good. So if you can pick one up with a return or borrow something, it's worth a try. I would think something by Bluejeans would be a good upgrade without killing the bank, I used Tributaries.

JoeE SP9
06-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Another data point-
I put on some other DVDs with DTS audio and did not hear that clicking. Is it plausible that there is some quirky compatibility issue between those Genesis discs and my receiver?

That you don't hear clicking on other DVD's is a pretty good indicator the problem is with the disk.

Pickngrin
06-14-2017, 04:05 AM
Thank you for the follow up posts. I haven't noticed that issue with any other DVDs (although I really haven't watched too many in awhile). It did seem to be specific to those discs from the Genesis set.