What to use to drive Vienna Acoustics Mozart speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to use to drive Vienna Acoustics Mozart speakers?

hobbes
09-17-2016, 10:25 AM
I own a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart speakers. They are about 10 years old, but great condition. We recently lost a bunch of home audio and home theater equipment to a power surge from lightning. As I am replacing things, I was hoping for an economical suggestion to driving the Mozart speakers. They sit in a large, open family room that is 2 stories high, so acoustics are not the best. My wife and daughter are far from audiophiles, and I am not one myself, but I know what I like to hear! Is there a reasonable receiver solution to driving these, or is a pre-amp/amp the right way to go? If you were on a "real world budget", any suggestions for what might work best?

Also, from a location perspective, about how far from the back wall should these be placed for proper bass?

hobbes
09-17-2016, 01:03 PM
I have a 10 year-old pair of VA Mozarts that are in great shape. Need to replace several home audio/video components due to lightning surge damage. Is there a reasonable AV Receiver solution that can properly drive these speakers? If so, what suggestions would you have?
If a pre-amp/amp solution is the right way to go, what economical solutions are there?

Finally, I need to know from a placement perspective approximately how far from the back wall should I place these for optimal bass performance. I'll try minor changes for preference once I have a good feel for what is recommended.

Thanks!

Mr Peabody
09-17-2016, 07:00 PM
With a rear port I wouldn't put them very close to a rear wall. I found a Stereophile review that mentioned the Mozart wasn't hard to drive and they are rated at 90 dB. However, I wouldn't drive them with a A/V receiver unless you were going to need surround. Then I would look at Onkyo who would have the best current but still sounds like a receiver, Marantz sounds much better in my opinion but not quite the current, which means a bit less control.

What is your budget? Audio Alchemy is reasonable and the sound is very good, that would be my first choice. Parasound has a nice integrated amp with built in DAC around $2500.00, I'd say more neutral and maybe power over the Audio Alchemy.

If those are out of your budget Cambridge Audio has a fairly new line of integrated amps with built in DAC around $1k or $1200.00. I was there when my friend had I believe a CX80 unboxed and used it to drive his Dynaudio Audience 82's. So if not a large room I'd think this would do it, your Mozart's shouldn't be more difficult than the Dyn's.

The Stereophile review was favorable but sure made it sound like the Mozart was difficult to place.

blackraven
09-19-2016, 08:45 AM
I would take a look at Nuprime as there is a lot of buzz about their gear. They use to be Nuforce. Their amps are affordable. Guys on the Audio Circles forum really like their gear. They are supposed to perform way above their price points and are supposed to be tube like in their sound. Nuforce amps had a great sound.

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/

Also consider Peach Tree for great sound and bang for the buck.

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/