Marantz/M&K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz/M&K

Cory
04-30-2004, 06:36 PM
A Marantz receiver and M&K speakers came highly recommended as the foundation for my upcoming home theater purchase. I'm looking for crystal clear sound above all else and the use will be about 75% movies/25% music. Thoughts? And what exact components would maybe be the best value?
Thanks.

N. Abstentia
04-30-2004, 07:31 PM
If music is not your main concern, M&K speakers will be fine. They have a 'ting' and 'sizzle' that's not my bag, but you may like it.

kelsci
04-30-2004, 10:58 PM
A Marantz receiver and M&K speakers came highly recommended as the foundation for my upcoming home theater purchase. I'm looking for crystal clear sound above all else and the use will be about 75% movies/25% music. Thoughts? And what exact components would maybe be the best value?
Thanks.

Cory; I have not listened to M & K speakers. I have listened to a Marantz 5400. I cannot rate this receiver as giving "crystal clear" sound. Perhaps their more expensive receivers might render that. In the past, at least as stereo goes, some years back, Akai had some receivers whose THD was .005%. Others with low distortion sounded like mud against these units which really had crystal clear sound. In the home theater realm, you should try to listen to a host of models of receivers when possible to judge what sounds crystal clear to you forgetting the specs on THD. Occasionally, there are surprises out there in the market. I believe JVC just came out with a new FLAGSHIP unit called the l5. All channels have super A amplifiers and rated at .02%. This unit might be worth a listen too although the unit may be in the $1500 plus category. The last unit that I saw with .02 percent was the Yamaha 2095. I would have rated this unit as nearly crystal clear. Go by what pleases your ears in the long run when you go out to buy.