Energy ESW-C8 8" vs Dayton 10" subwoofer (is this an upgrade?) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy ESW-C8 8" vs Dayton 10" subwoofer (is this an upgrade?)

Pickngrin
08-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Hi-

I have had the same Dayton 10" (100 watt) subwoofer for 11 years. I just picked up an Energy ESW-C8 8" subwoofer at Goodwill yesterday for $10. Any opinions on which would be the better one to use? The room is small. Running an older 5.1 Onkyo receiver and Athena bookshelf speakers and center channel, and JBL N24 II as rear surrounds. I don't expect insane bass from either, and my use is for both movies and music (including concert DVDs).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
PnG

JoeE SP9
08-29-2016, 09:55 AM
Try using both at the same time. If you have enough space multiple subs are always better.

topspeed
08-29-2016, 04:00 PM
I had never even considered Joe's option, but I like it! It sounds like already have both subs, so just play with them and figure out what sounds best to you. The room has a tremendous effect on sound, especially with sub woofers, so it's almost impossible for any of us to say one will sound better than the other.

Good luck and good find (a $10 Energy sub? You kiddin' me?)

Pickngrin
08-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks Joe and Topspeed-
I don't really have room for both subs in the room. I will try to do an A/B comparison to make the decision. Yes, that was some score for $10!