Help with home audio system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with home audio system

vasia
04-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi,
I am planning to upgrade my home audio system. I currently have Onkyo HT760 HT system, which is pretty adequite for my HT needs, so I initially was thinking about upgrading/getting new system for music listening. My budget is about 2350$. I got a Marantz SR3800 receiver on clearense and it made a huge difference when hooked up even to the Onkyo speakers. I like the sound very much both for music and HT and I am thinking about getting a pair of Axom M60s or Rocket RS750. However, I am having some doubts whether this would be the best uograde route. On one hand, I am planning to upgrade other components eventually, but I not anticipate that happening any time soon. My sources now are: old Toshiba SD-3109 DVD or iRIver iHP-120, both hooked up throough optical outs. My HT receiver does not front speaker pre-outs as far as I can tell.
I guess I could get NAD or Rotel interated amp for about 1000$ instead of SR8300 and there is a Boston dealer carrying both and a pair of mains and that would be a good 2 ch upgrade. However, I also want to keep some sort of HT as well and I would not have 500-1000 needed to upgrade to a decent source/interconnects anyways. Also, is there any meaningful way of hooking up my current AV receiver to the amp for mains?
So, overall, I am debating whether getting integrated amp, interconnects and mains would really make any sense over SR8300 plus mains plus current setup and how much extra would I need to invest into my set up for the integrated amp to really provide an improvement in sound for music over SR8300 if I keep Onkyo just for HT use?

N. Abstentia
04-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Speakers will make the most dramatic upgrade in your case. Upgrading amps or CD players would be a minimal upgrade if any, so I would look at speakers if I were you.

NickWH
04-30-2004, 11:29 AM
The Marantz is a fine sounding receiver in it's own right. At this stage, I agree that speakers should be your next upgrade. The HTIB speakers are...not very good for music reproduction. New speakers will make a huge difference.

vasia
04-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys,
I just wanted to clarify where I sand a bit more. I could still return Marantz (I bought it very recently) at this point and get a amp instead if that is a desirable upgrade route.

The Marantz is a fine sounding receiver in it's own right. At this stage, I agree that speakers should be your next upgrade. The HTIB speakers are...not very good for music reproduction. New speakers will make a huge difference.

vasia
04-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. I did send request through audioenvy, however, got no reply thus far.

If you are trying to go for a music/HT system then you may wish to audition the Rockets first (check through Audioenvy.com). That being said, I bought RS550s and enjoy listening to music through them. However, they, IMO, do need risers but those are backordered now. For a system that will be geared more towards HT the RS550s likely would be the way to go. For a system that will be geared more towards music the 750s should be the way to go.

Bryan
04-30-2004, 12:34 PM
If you are trying to go for a music/HT system then you may wish to audition the Rockets first (check through Audioenvy.com). That being said, I bought RS550s and enjoy listening to music through them. However, they, IMO, do need risers but those are backordered now. For a system that will be geared more towards HT the RS550s likely would be the way to go. For a system that will be geared more towards music the 750s should be the way to go.

agtpunx40
04-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with mail order only stuff, in fact, I have a Hsu VTF2 and love it, but what have you listened to? Speakers are very subjective, and I don't see how you've narrowed down your choices to 2 mail order only brands, which, from things I have read, sound quite different. You should really go to an audio store and listen to some speakers, figure out what you like, and then decide what speakers you should buy. Speakers would definatly be your best upgrade path though. Just take your time and listen to lots and lots of speakers. Otherwise you'll end up regreting it in a month or so.

vasia
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi,
I did some auditioning today and listen to NAD and Rotel receivers (763 and 1056 respectively) coupled to B&W 603 and 604 as well as Paradigm Studio 60 v3. Rotel was a clear winner over NAD IMO, the sound was just richer with Rotel. Also, Paradigm beat B&W by a wide margin. Unfortunately, that's about all I can audition for right now. However, I really liked Rotel+Studio 60's combo, got a price quote of 2300$ for the combo and really considering getting it.
I still have two questions though.
1) I got a Marantz SR8300 on clearence and have to decide whether to keep it or return right now. Unfortunately, I have no way to compare it to Rotel, since I do not have good speakers at home and would not get them till at least a month from now. The only negative about Rotel is the lower nominal power rating, but I am not listening to music loud anyways and the room is pretty small (13X18). So, can someone comment on Rotel versus Marantz in terms of quality, sound, etc.
2) I really liked Paradigm Studio 60's good soundstage, positioning, decent and tight bass. THe sound was a bit bright, but not anything annoying. How would it compare to Axiom M60Ti's or Rocket RS550 or 750. What else would be similar/better?
Also, please keep in mind that I can get Rotel+Studio 60s as a package, but Marantz+Studio 60s will be out of my price range.

agtpunx40
05-03-2004, 04:45 PM
both marantz and rotel are quality companies, rotel would probably be considered more "high end." If you really like the studio 60s, the choice on speakers is much more important, as it has a larger direct effect on the sound. Plus, you should be able to bring the Marantz into the store, if you already have it, and they should let you listen to the speakers running off it so you can do a pretty direct comparison. If you really decide you like the marantz sound better, you may be able to step down on the reciever too.